Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4: Faster Than iPhone 3GS, Possibly Slower Than iPad

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

its stupid to compare phone to ipad. does ipad make phone calls? i didnt think so

Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post
    its stupid to compare phone to ipad. does ipad make phone calls? i didnt think so
    Mine does.

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    If a benchmark like this is going to be "published", they could at least try their hardest to make all controllable variables completely equal... I would take this data with a grain (or a handful) of salt as is.
    I think this was done on porpuse to make the i4 look good,,, and even that way,, it does not.... compares to the boost between the 3G and the 3GS,,, where the 3GS is almost 50% faster than the 3G and the i4 is only 25% faster than the 3GS
    Last edited by eortizr; 06-23-2010 at 01:38 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    U hear that...................... Thats me doing your mom
    Thanks

I don't find this bad at all. The 3GS is fast it has a procesor that is 600 mhz. The new iphone has a 1 ghz. So i wasn't expecting something way faster but yes %25 faster. The Ipad has the same that the new iphone only that Apple might of clocked the iphones one at some point. Just to make it use less battery or not make the Ipad look bad.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I need to downgrade my 3GS from iOS4 to 3.1.2... can some1 tell how to?

Quote Originally Posted by SwatPac View Post
    Slower Than the iPad? I call BS!!!
    It makes no sense, its because the iPhone 4 is using a much more intensive OS than the iPad. We'll see whazup when the iPad is running iOS 4.
    errr.... iPad is also not running a PHONE in the background. All things being equal, the iPad/iPod touch will always be slightly faster due to the lack of phone process running.
    Really?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to eg6motion For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (06-23-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    errr.... iPad is also not running a PHONE in the background. All things being equal, the iPad/iPod touch will always be slightly faster due to the lack of phone process running.
    Yes...and let's not forget that the iPad is running a completely different operating system.
    It's like comparing Snow Leopard to Tiger, unless the devices are running the same OS, and therefore, background process' (less the phone in the case of the iPad) then it's not a very good benchmark test to go by.
    I don't see how the same chip, running with twice the ram would be slower on a comparable OS.

Anyone else having wifi problems with the iPhone 4? Everything else works great (the camera is truly awesome, especially the video quality), but the phone just doesn't see our home wifi network, reminiscent of early iPads. Anyone?

Maybe the retina display is slowing it down?

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

In case anyone was wondering... I just got my iPhone 4 and it kicks aS$!! The screen resolution is flat out amazing.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
    both holycowe and h2a are correct. the 3g only added 3g and was not a significant hardware improvement like the 3gs, thus, the correct numbers are:

1st Gen iPhone 2G (iPhone 1,1)
    1st Gen iPhone 3G (iPhone 1,2)
    2nd Gen iPhone 3GS (iPhone 2,1)
    3rd Gen iPhone 4 (iPhone 3,1)

Don't believe me? Just look at the firmware filenames..
    iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

If you're gonna post numbers, post the correct ones.

The iPhone doesn't speedstep based on battery..

The numbers posted are correct:
    2G=1,1
    3G=1,2
    3Gs=2,1
    4G=3,1

HOWEVER, the differences between the 3G and 2G are just as vast as the difference between the 3G and 3GS. And here's why:

2G --> 3G: Change in design (new 'magical' plastic case), addition of 3G HSPA radio (3G data), addition of aGPS (GPS for me was a big deal). This transition also marked the opening of Apple's AppStore, the most important change of all.

3g --> 3Gs: Identical casing (one can't be discerned from the other without turning it on - so no change there), new SoC (bringing with it new CPU, GPU, & more RAM - that's a pretty hefty upgrade), New 3.1mp camera with video (the camera on the 2G is identical to that on the 3G).

3Gs --> 4G: New design (case and materials), new screen (4x resolution), new SoC (A4 with double the RAM, faster GPU & CPU, though the speed of the latter isn't confirmed at 1GHz, more likely 600/800 for power saving), new back camera with HD video capability, new front camera for video conferencing.

I've summed up the changes (for the most part), and it occurs to me that there was a larger shift from the 2G to the 3G than from the 3G to the 3Gs (hence the 's'. Even Jobs new it was like getting the GT version with leather, but really just the same car). The biggest and most numerous changes are coming in the form of the iPhone 4, but there really are three families here: 2G, 3G/3Gs, 4.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by olivo42 View Post
    I need to downgrade my 3GS from iOS4 to 3.1.2... can some1 tell how to?
    This is not the right place for this question but here you go.

If you have your SHSH blobs saved on Cydia then your golden...But cant downgrade the baseband if you need unlock but now that the updated Ultrasn0w is out it does not matter what baseband your on because it unlocks them all! All you have to do is point your itunes to sauriks server and itunes will think its talking to apples server.

I don't agree, the 3gs had: a much faster prossesor( and not just the clock speed but the whole architecture, so I've heard) double the amount of RAM (definetly a must for multitasking) a 3.x megapixel camera with touch to focus, autofocu. And video capability at 30fps with VGA quality Wich is really really good and opens up posibilities for new apps like aroundme, has the compass feature which again helps alot in apps like maps, if I'm not mistaken a longer lasting battery indispensable for this is your phone not just an iPod, an oleophobic screen, and a new 32 gig storing capacity again double the size in the 3g, a much gpu ( to bad they didn't develop any good 3gs specific games this whole time. So I don't think there is a bigger difference between the 2g and 3g than the 3g to the 3gs. You cannot count the app store as an iPhone characteristic change, and we are bot talking about iPhone cases but about firmware numeration so the exterior don't matter much. Anyways that's just my opinion.

the 3gs is on low battery. UNFAIR

hmmm i thought it was supposed to be faster?
    well i expected that the ipad was faster considering it was bigger
    but im not really sure what to think anymore

Thanks

All I know is I got my iPhone 4 today and it kicks ***. Also loading web pages can be a good test. And with both my iPad and iPhone 4 cache and cookies cleared on the same wifi they load web pages almost at the exact same time. My iPhone 4 actually beat my iPad a couple times. Anyway that's what I got from my own testing.
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

The iPad should be faster then the iPhone, because the iPhone is a handheld, meant for small tasks, while the iPad is a tablet, meant to replace laptops on the go. And there are no other phones out there as fast as tablets and laptops, so why should the iPhone be any different? It still leaves all other phones in the dust...
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

I can call on my ipad using whistle

hav to check it..
    mod edit/link removed

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Will try to get mine in an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by staterunner180 View Post
    The iPad should be faster then the iPhone, because the iPhone is a handheld, meant for small tasks, while the iPad is a tablet, meant to replace laptops on the go. And there are no other phones out there as fast as tablets and laptops, so why should the iPhone be any different? It still leaves all other phones in the dust...
    But then again they share the same processor and the iphone has twice the ram. I believe the reason is that apple turned down the clock speed on the iphone 4 to save battery. While the ipad has such a huge battery and extra space inside that they clocked it much higher and its able to deal with the increased heat and power drain without issues.
    Last edited by wrcsti; 06-24-2010 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast