+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 4 : Opt-Out of iAd Location Data... If You Could.

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Thanks to the fine folks over at iLounge , they have informed the community of Apple's recent change to its Terms of Use for iOS 4, stating that it will
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 277 Posts

Default iOS 4 : Opt-Out of iAd Location Data... If You Could.

Thanks to the fine folks over at iLounge , they have informed the community of Apple's recent change to its Terms of Use for iOS 4, stating that it will collect user location data for iAds. Why is this important? Because that's your GPS location being transmitted for advertising purposes. With the new terms, your basically accepting to let them sell your information with no return to you.

It's not that I don't want ad's. Ads are essential to many companies to stay afloat, but what I want to see, is simply the option to not give my gps data away. I'll deal with unrelated Ads that appear if it means my location data is safe. It may be paranoid, but is it not the more reasonable approach? It's would be hard to agree that one should have to accept to the new terms stating that they can do whatever they want with your data.

While it should be noted that iAds are not suppose to be in affect until July 1st, hence the reason why this option is not yet available. Although a little more detailed message would have been nice.

George Orwell wouldn't have stood by it. Big Brother is watching you....

“Apple and its partners use cookies and other technologies in mobile advertising services to control the number of times you see a given ad, deliver ads that relate to your interests, and measure the effectiveness of ad campaigns.”
    This has even been picked up by Engadget and the LA Times. As you continue to read through the terms, you'll notice that Apple claims to have a way out of this. Users are told:

“If you do not want to receive ads with this level of relevance on your mobile device, you can opt out by accessing the following link on your device: http://oo.apple.com. If you opt out, you will continue to receive the same number of mobile ads, but they may be less relevant because they will not be based on your interests. You may still see ads related to the content on a web page or in an application or based on other non-personal information. This opt-out applies only to Apple advertising services and does not affect interest-based advertising from other advertising networks.”
    However, as you can see, and try yourself, this "Opt-Out" is not quite working. The website ends up reporting that you are currently not on iOS 4, although clearly we are. Apple is expected to begin serving iAds on July 1st, so perhaps this is the holdup. Although, I would feel a bit more comfortable if I could do this ahead of time.
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 06-21-2010 at 10:58 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Why would I want to opt out of this?

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

sounds like it wont matter if ur gonna opt out there will be ads either way so might as well not even bother

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

it'd be useless to opt-out because now your just gonna get a bunch of junk ads you wont even look at, at least if its something interesting ill open it, but if i opt out it wont be giving me adds of my "interests"
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

The question is not "Why would I want to opt out?"
    BUT --- Why would I want to opt in?!?"
    I don't want ANY ADS, I even hate the latest stupid pop-ups that occur on ModMyI!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What will stop people with JB iphones from deleting this app?

iPhone? More like MyPhone law111's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea I don't see that big of deal with them using my info to show me more ads that are related to my interest..

Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
    I don't want ANY ADS, I even hate the latest stupid pop-ups that occur on ModMyI!
    You're on windows, thats why you get pop-ups at ModMyi, I get none.

Quote Originally Posted by billmilo View Post
    What will stop people with JB iphones from deleting this app?
    What app...?
    Last edited by law111; 06-21-2010 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    iPhone Firmware - 4.1
    Service - AT&T
    Device - iPhone 4 BLACK 16GB

Thanks

hahaha touche

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 883 Posts

ADs help pay for things. Like those you see on MMi. Without them who knows what would happen to MMi. Do you know how much it cost to run a very popular website with a ton of traffic?

I don't mind ads because of the things they help.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Riviera's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thevmax
    , I even hate the latest stupid pop-ups that occur on ModMyI!
    Quote Originally Posted by law111 View Post
    You're on windows, thats why you get pop-ups at ModMyi, I get none.
    I'm also on windows, but I get none as well.

Thanks

I hate ads. Wish there was a way to get none...opting out indefinitely

Thanks

Ads are fine, but what I dislike about this is the fact that by default, my GPS coordinates are sent and we have to accept this term as in turn we will not ask for any type of compensation.

Do you realize your online value? It's not that I don't want ad's, it's that I want the option to not give my gps data, i'll deal with crap ads if it means my location data is safe. It may be paranoid, but it's the right thing to offer to a company that is about freedom. lol

George Orwell wouldn't have stood by it. Big Brother is watching you....

Thanks

youva' all seen Minority Report right? and the personally relevent ads via "retina" scans wherever they would go. a little "Big Brothery" in my opinion.
    killall Terminal[]

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    ADs help pay for things. Like those you see on MMi. Without them who knows what would happen to MMi. Do you know how much it cost to run a very popular website with a ton of traffic?

I don't mind ads because of the things they help.
    I can understand website such as this with ads, (even if the ads are for scams that the very forums they display on discourage) but this website provides a service for the income generated by the ad, and is otherwise free of charge.

What is Apple providing us for this income source? We are paying for the hardware it is delivered on, we are paying for the pipe it is delivered through. What is the benefit to the consumer this is being pushed upon?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wrassle For This Useful Post:

BumbleBeez (06-22-2010), Nick Hesson (06-21-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Holy ****. How is no one else freaked out that your phone is constantly sending out your exact gps location. What happens when that giant database or stream of data gets hacked into(which it will) and all that information gets out!!!! How does no one see the issue with this down the road

-Luke

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 883 Posts

I agree with nickhesson on GPS ads being creepy in a way. I do agree with you on why does Apple want this info. Ads in apps is fine because that company is using them to help pay for production.

Maybe Apple is trying to be like Cable companies that provide local ads for money. Cable companies know where you live and have different commercials for your area than in other areas. This helps local business some too.

adp
    Thanks

I thought opting out would not remove ads, just opt you out of the area tracking and personalized ads to your location.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If I'm going to see ads, I'd rather they be personally targeted to me, my location, and my interests.

Call me crazy. *shrug*

Nothing frustrates me more than seeing a commercial for something on tv that isn't available in my area. *shakes fist*

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Why would I want to opt out of this?
    Why would I want to opt-in?

Do you want some farking corporation monitor your whereabouts, build a profile on you based on your surfing habits, location, sell the information to third parties and make money in the process?
    I certainly don't but to each his own.
    I hate ads in any way, shape or form. However, for instance, if I don't like the ads on Modmyi I don't have to come here.
    The same thing with Cydia, I don't like the ads, they take up bandwidth and time when they load however I do realize that they help to pay the bills for some people and that is fine although I have never and will never click on them.
    On the other hand I certainly will not have any farking ads pushed on my device by Apple. The only after sales relationship I want with Apple is to honor their warranty and then fawk off.
    There is software on Cydia that blocks outgoing ports (Firewall IP), I for one will install it as soon as I get iPhone4 (and as soon as it is compatible with OS4), sometime in the fall.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SchmilK's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickhesson View Post
    Do you realize your online value?
    So true!?!

/me searches for an app for that