+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 4 : Opt-Out of iAd Location Data... If You Could.

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Lol everyone is saying that ads just pay for stuff but did everyone forget that without ads we wouldn't find out about certain products or information. All the shorty ads
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol everyone is saying that ads just pay for stuff but did everyone forget that without ads we wouldn't find out about certain products or information. All the shorty ads I've seen just give you stupid information or useless products. But with iAds your gonna get quality ads that don't suck! So yeah I'll opt in. Plus I tried to download an app today and I had to agree to the new terms so I did lol!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wrassle View Post
    I can understand website such as this with ads, (even if the ads are for scams that the very forums they display on discourage) but this website provides a service for the income generated by the ad, and is otherwise free of charge.

What is Apple providing us for this income source? We are paying for the hardware it is delivered on, we are paying for the pipe it is delivered through. What is the benefit to the consumer this is being pushed upon?
    I believe (correct me if i am wrong) that apple has implemented this service to help give developers "more" revenue/profits/whatever u like to call it.

Thanks

Default Privacy?!
    If you were worried about privacy with iAds you may need to rethink having a cell phone to begin with, especially a new iPhone.

Let's see we already know law enforcement and the government has the ability to just about what they want when they want....

An iPhone with the latest technology can be easily tracked and located within seconds at anytime. It also now has both forward facing and rear facing cameras and now noise cancellation. If you don't think under the right circumstances the government couldn't turn on the microphone and/or camera(s) you are behind the times. How about when your phone is off, again not a problem! How about if I remove my battery ....hmmm guess that isn't a choice.

Now most of you have nothing to worry about, but this is why you see those not staying within the law using prepaid and throw away phones.

No, not paranoid, just know the technology to do this exists and the higher the tech in the phone the easier it is!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Personally I don't mind opting in to get ads relevant to me, ads are a necessary evil on the internet where we daily visit loads of sites free of charge because they make their money with ads, Google, Facebook, MMi comes to mind. Ads also helps with applications, where we can have our apps for free in return to have to have ads, both on our iPhones and our PC's, take Windows Live Messenger for instance, take Steam. They all do it.

With that said however I would not like to have my GPS location data transmitted over the air to anyone unless I personally give my consent. Privacy reasons as well as Battery life reasons makes me think this is a no go.

I do want iAds though, if they are relevant and just half as good as the ones that Steve Jobs has shown off.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yes i think people are underestimating this sort of thing.
    It is fine if companys request some information of us thru their products but it is not when they force us to send personal information to them these sort of things should be off by default and should always contain a option to turn this off or on.

Besides the whole privacy thing these sort information collection in the iphones case costs battery life aswell and doesnt it require your data network to send this information ? so in a way its also using your costly 3g bandwith only this i am not so sure about.

anyway wasnt it steve who was pissed about a company collecting data from their iphones and publishing that they where using new iphones ?
    But then again he does the same thing right here...

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

The amount of tin foil hattery going on in this thread is mind boggling.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dazzer1983's Avatar
    Thanks

Cheeky apple

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by law111 View Post
    Yea I don't see that big of deal with them using my info to show me more ads that are related to my interest..
    well gee i too have no idea why i would have a problem with a company being able to track my spending habits, what ads i view, what effect they have on my travel patterns, what i buy, and be able to sell that information to other companies.

no problem at all

You're on windows, thats why you get pop-ups at ModMyi, I get none.
    that has to do with your browser. just set IE to block pop-ups, and use chrome/opera/firefox. mac has nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by lolcats1; 06-22-2010 at 08:44 AM.

Thanks

I sure hope someone comes out with a feature to permanently disable this if and when I choose...even though I have nothing to hide, I'm not exactly keen on someone being able to track my every move...feels kinda like being stalked and you never know when the stalker will pounce

If my every move is being tracked, I should also be able to go into 'stealth mode' for those Tiger Woods moments

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

What if my location is off under settings - general - location.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post
    Holy ****. How is no one else freaked out that your phone is constantly sending out your exact gps location. What happens when that giant database or stream of data gets hacked into(which it will) and all that information gets out!!!! How does no one see the issue with this down the road

-Luke
    Can't speak for everyone, but this doesn't concern me because I haven't lied to myself that they don't already have this information. Geo location data can be harvested from IP addresses, and cell phone towers already. This isn't going to be all that more accurate. It's pretty accurate already.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Have you guys ever used google or have a google account? They track everything you search, browse and find. They know where you're logging from, hell even your mail is used as data to properly place and sell advertisement.

The government is not out to get you, Apple could care less where you are, and they don't snag anything you would care about. Most of these location aggregators only grab your general location (city) and gobble up all results into that demographic. They never have individual information (for obvious reasons).

Seriously, advertisement in general is a good thing. How do you people ever find out about new products, movies, music? All this aims is to give you relevant advertising, so what you end up seeing may actually matter to you.

And let's not even mention the benefit of a platform like iAd to developers that wish to keep their ads free.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Separate iAd paid apps from other apps, people who don't mind getting tracked by people they do not know can download those apps. Let the consumer decide when they want to Opt-in instead of forcing people to go through separate steps to Opt-out.

Thanks

apple is stalking us
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

its working now

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I was able to successfully Opt-out of this.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

wrassle and Ikailburn are absolutely right. when i read the terms of service for the update, i declined to update. this is the first thread ive found people talking about this at all. you should be outraged. can anyone tell me how or where these adds are going to show up exactly? is it confined to one app or are things just going to pop up every time i turn it on? we are paying customers and we should not have to accept something like this. i already wrote to apple about this. Im also looking into competitors. if you sit back and let this happen, then all providers are going to jump on this bandwagon. i encourage you to write to apple even if you dont intend to switch providers. let them know that this is wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 884 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iphoneuser5 View Post
    wrassle and Ikailburn are absolutely right. when i read the terms of service for the update, i declined to update. this is the first thread ive found people talking about this at all. you should be outraged. can anyone tell me how or where these adds are going to show up exactly? is it confined to one app or are things just going to pop up every time i turn it on? we are paying customers and we should not have to accept something like this. i already wrote to apple about this. Im also looking into competitors. if you sit back and let this happen, then all providers are going to jump on this bandwagon. i encourage you to write to apple even if you dont intend to switch providers. let them know that this is wrong.
    It will only be in apps that use iAds for the ad service. So not all apps will use this and it will not be outside of any apps, IE. the springboard. So bascially the same thing that the Ads from Admob have been doing but when you click on it it loads within the app instead of taking you out of it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

what concerns me is that the terms of service does not mention apps. so while it may only be apearing in apps now, where else could they be inserted with this vague agreement. this is copied and pasted from the actual agreement:

(d) Interest-Based Advertising. Apple may provide mobile, interest-based advertising to you. If you do not want to receive relevant ads on your iPhone, you can opt out by going to this link on your iPhone: http://oo.apple.com. If you opt out, you will continue to receive the same number of mobile ads, but they may be less relevant because they will not be based on your interests. You may still see ads related to the content on a web page or in an application or based on other non-personal information. This opt-out applies only to Apple advertising services and does not affect interest-based advertising from other advertising networks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 884 Posts

All it is asking is if you want to recieve ads geared to you. Basically use statistics about you such as the app you are using and the location you are at.