Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreaking & Unlocking iOS 4 : What You Should Know

Are you serious? Good performance on a 3G. I been on ios4 since it came out and multitasking and wallpaper have now been removed. Apps take longer to initialize, even picking a contact to call takes longer.

Anyway I really hope apple decides to come up with a smarter/better way to multitask because there current idea must of been dreamt up by a 10yr old. More thought should of been put into it. Regardless of ram it should work on all iPhones. Backgrounder had the right idea. Just wish apple would actually admit someone besides them had a good idea and capitalize on it.

Oh btw as I type I only have safari open and I am now down to 8mb of memory. Safari even has issues.

Sorry typing on my laggy ios4

Thanks
    Default ios4 - iphone 2g
    ios4 - iphone 2g any way to do this
    Hard work spotlights the character of people; some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    just be sure to tell people their phones won't run like they did before. be sure to admit to them that the animations will be noticeably slower and choppy. tell them things will slow to a crawl if they don't police their multitasked applications.

other than those things, yes, it runs fine. but those things do matter. especially the multitasking issues, as they slow the phone down quickly. it's not okay long-term. it's interesting for a day or two...but after awhile, it clearly becomes burdensome to have to worry about what's trying to multitask. backgrounder is the superior solution for 3G iPhones. without any doubt. and the laggy animations can be lived with, except that apps also now run slower.

and yes, people DO have reasons to not tell the whole truth. people who think they have something that others want will often hide the fact that said coveted thing isn't perfect. you see it all the time from people who buy cars, then give glowing reviews in order to make themselves feel better. you see it from people who buy mediocre videogames, but suggest they're must-have titles. et cetera.

As such, it is of absolutely no surprise that more people aren't simply telling the truth about multitasking on a 3G iPhone: the iOS4 implementation blows on 3G because of a lack of built-in RAM. it forces you to constantly be aware of it, creating a layer of concern for your 3G phone that you never had before now. Apple left the feature off of 3G's by default for a very clear reason.

that's the truth. every other comment with regard to multitasking is just exaggeration or lack of real usage of it.
    so i am going to repost my short review of 0s 4 on the 3g. i posted this a few pages back, sure everyone has their own opinions and some might like the next person might not, now just because you do not like the performance, that does not mean everyone will dislike it. I suggest people try it for themselves and let them be the judge for themselves.

so for those of you out there that are still on the fence in regards to upgrading to 4.0, maybe this will help you.

I have been using 4.0 for about 12 hours now on T-Mobile and have had no real major issues with it on my 8gb 3g iphone.

I have multitasking and wallpapers enabled and for the most part the phone runs pretty smooth. There is lag everyonce in a while, it happens mainly when you switch back to the main screen from an app. There can be some slight lag when using the on screen keyboard when you start typing a message but it soon catches up.

I have had zero issues when it comes to running apps! all apps run just as fast as they did before on 3.1.2

Multitasking is pretty cool and it runs well. It is nice to be able to switch from one app to another without going back to the main screen, it works well but there is some slow down but again nothing that would stop me from using it. If you want to close out apps just double tap the home button and hold your finger on one of the apps and you can select which ones to close.

Wall papers are cool! I am not sure if these are the reason for some of the lag or not, i might try and jailbreak again with no wallpaper to see if it is the cause, the lag is there but it does not really bother me but it might bother others.

I have not used cydia all that much, i never used it much before. I have downloaded sbsettings and it works great. YMMV on other apps from cydia or rock i think it will be trial and error for a while

There is no doubt the 4.0 update pushes the 3g to the absolute limit but the phone is working well, everything functions as it should. Battery life honestly seems to have improved some, i will report back later on with more definitive findings though.

I like the 4.0 update, if you can stand some lag every once in a while i think you will like it too! I hope this help you guys out there who are on the fence.

Regards
    Brett Day

Quote Originally Posted by mamirza View Post
    Please give steps to follow to upgrade to iOS4 with iTunes 9.2

upgrade
    jailbreak
    unlocking etc.

am having 3G blackra1ned, thanks
    1.download redsnow 0.9.5b5
    2.download the firmware 8A293 for iphone 3g
    3.connect your iPhone to your comp and update to 4.0 via iTunes
    4.once upgraded turn off your iPhone
    5.open Redsnow and browse to the 8A293 firmware
    6.decide if you want to keep multitasking and wallpapers on, make sure cydia is selected to be installed
    7.click next and follow the instructions on the screen
    8.when iPhone has rebooted go to Cydia, select manage, click on sources, select repo666.ultrasn0w.com and this will unlock your phone

thats it, easy as 1.2.3

regards
    Brett
    Last edited by brett_day; 06-24-2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Still no good news for us with an MC iPod Touch 2G?

hey guys.

just wondering...

i updated to ios4 without reading posts about not upgrading when using spirit. once upgraded, 3g connection didnt work. i did a couple of restores and its back to normal on ios4 fw.

when a 3gs new bootrom ios4 jb comes out, will i be able to use the packages that say dont use if jbed with spirit? asking because after the restores it freshened up the phone.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by devp93 View Post
    hey guys.

just wondering...

i updated to ios4 without reading posts about not upgrading when using spirit. once upgraded, 3g connection didnt work. i did a couple of restores and its back to normal on ios4 fw.

when a 3gs new bootrom ios4 jb comes out, will i be able to use the packages that say dont use if jbed with spirit? asking because after the restores it freshened up the phone.

thanks
    I think you will be fine one there is a official JB for the IOS4

Im sure Geo Hot Pwned for life will do the trick when its released
    Follow me: @Nips19

Anyone have IOS4 on a 2nd gen touch(non MC model)? If so how is it running I haven't seen anyone post any info about how it runs on it and would like to know if its just getting a bit of lag like the 3G IPhone or what any info would be appreciated~!!!

I am on an IPT 2nd gen and it runs great with jailbreak and multitasking enabled. If you enable wallpapers it will make it lag for some reason, so don't do it.

Twitter: @tshoults

9. The Following User Says Thank You to moon#pie For This Useful Post:

ScrubbyB (06-24-2010)

Brett obviously you do notbl use your phone that much. I constanstly switch apps whether it be safari, facebook, windows live, messages, etc. It runs slow and lags alot and this is without wallpaper. Anyone who can sit here and blatantly say there 3G works flawlessly with limited lag is either micromanaging the multiinstance or not runnin any apps.

I as well as other experience lag just by clicking on a contact to make a phone call.

Safari has a huge memory leak, 3.1.2 never had me use 40mb of memory just on safari.

Multi instance like I said in multiple posts flawed.

I look at it this way. How come I could run SMS/background and backgrounder and still have plenty of ram on 3.1.2. But ios4 with the two functions built in give me less then 10mb. Flawed!!!

Oh and I been running it for 72 hours.

Btw sorry for spelling. iPhone autocomplete coupled with lag.
    Last edited by DmVinny; 06-24-2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DmVinny View Post
    Brett obviously you do notbl use your phone that much. I constanstly switch apps whether it be safari, facebook, windows live, messages, etc. It runs slow and lags alot and this is without wallpaper. Anyone who can sit here and blatantly say there 3G works flawlessly with limited lag is either micromanaging the multiinstance or not runnin any apps.

I as well as other experience lag just by clicking on a contact to make a phone call.

Safari has a huge memory leak, 3.1.2 never had me use 40mb of memory just on safari.

Multi instance like I said in multiple posts flawed.

I look at it this way. How come I could run SMS/background and backgrounder and still have plenty of ram on 3.1.2. But ios4 with the two functions built in give me less then 10mb. Flawed!!!

Oh and I been running it for 72 hours.

Btw sorry for spelling. iPhone autocomplete coupled with lag.
    i use my phone all the time thanks, again it is just my opinion, sorry for having one, apparently it is illegal these days. To each their own, if you don't like it, then fine, others might like it

It's not the point of not liking it, there are some new features that are great. But we also have to admit to the bad so it gets resolved otherwise we are stuck with it.

You think Steve jobbs made his money living on a motto like "oh this is crap, but I will live with it". ?
    Last edited by DmVinny; 06-25-2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hey Brett have you had any internet/tethering/MMS issues since upgrading it to iOS4 and what were your network settings before hand

Thanks

Just give me my mc131x 05.13.04 iOS4 3gs jailbreak already!!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hotsammysliz View Post
    Hey Brett have you had any internet/tethering/MMS issues since upgrading it to iOS4 and what were your network settings before hand

Thanks
    i have not not had any issues in regards to these features, what are your current settings?

just wanted to shout out an update. there is a new version of redsn0w. It fixes the problem with ibooks. ibooks now works flawlessly.

When downloading redsn0w, make sure you download 0.9.5b5-4
    Last edited by brett_day; 06-25-2010 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default ISO4 MyWi
    Can't Wait for the Official Jailbreak for the ISO 4!
    Also can't wait for MyWi for the ISO 4

Default Unregister iphone?
    Hi everyone
    I cant seem to unlock my 3g iphone, i've tried ultrasn0w multiple times and keep getting no sim recognition. Had no problems hacktivating and jailbreaking.
    The phone was a gift so the only thing I can think of is maybe its still registered with AT&T...
    am trying to use it on T-mobile, any help would be appreciated
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hotsammysliz View Post

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brett_day View Post
    i have not not had any issues in regards to these features, what are your current settings?

just wanted to shout out an update. there is a new version of redsn0w. It fixes the problem with ibooks. ibooks now works flawlessly.

When downloading redsn0w, make sure you download 0.9.5b5-4
    So you still have your tethering settings enabled AND it's working?

I'm waiting for an answer on whether the tethering that we have on 3GS still works on iOS4. It's the only feature I have on my 3.1.2 3GS that is holding me back from upgrading to iOS4. I'm currently using the Tethering Patch 3GS from iFoneguide.

Thanks!

I used iOS 4 on my 3G for 1 day and went back to 3.1.3. The lag/choppiness on the phone was pretty much unbearable to me. I couldnt stand waiting 1-2 seconds for the phone to respond to my key strokes.

Brett, how did you get multitasking working for the 3G on iOS 4? Apple specifically states that multitasking is not an available feature on the 3G.

Quote Originally Posted by Inwood View Post
    I used iOS 4 on my 3G for 1 day and went back to 3.1.3. The lag/choppiness on the phone was pretty much unbearable to me. I couldnt stand waiting 1-2 seconds for the phone to respond to my key strokes.

Brett, how did you get multitasking working for the 3G on iOS 4? Apple specifically states that multitasking is not an available feature on the 3G.
    by jailbreaking it

You can jailbreak it with the option to turn it on, or you can edit one of the .plist files.. (don't remember it off hand).

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast