+ Reply
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreaking & Unlocking iOS 4 : What You Should Know

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
^ Of course there is a way to close the apps. You open up multitasking, hold your finger on the icon and click on close/stop.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    ^ Of course there is a way to close the apps. You open up multitasking, hold your finger on the icon and click on close/stop.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What are my options on upgrading to OS4 (jailbreak / unlock) if I have the following..

3GS
    redsnow jailbreak
    version 3.0.1
    firmware 4.26.08

Green Apple
    Thanks

If an iPhone 3GS is already on official iOS 4.0, can it still be unlocked for T-Mobile? It has never been unlocked

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok guys as you can see im a bit of a newb at this. all i need to know is if i jb my iphone 3g with spirit as it was on 3.1.3 when i got it how do i go about upgrading to 4.0 ? do i just restore and then use itunes 9.2 and then the new tool ? is it safe ? i have read through alot here and not really found a dead cert answer any help would be great thanks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reedy1979 View Post
    ok guys as you can see im a bit of a newb at this. all i need to know is if i jb my iphone 3g with spirit as it was on 3.1.3 when i got it how do i go about upgrading to 4.0 ? do i just restore and then use itunes 9.2 and then the new tool ? is it safe ? i have read through alot here and not really found a dead cert answer any help would be great thanks.
    I would try to upgrade to 4.0 through iTunes as a first step.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chemalito View Post
    Im jailbreak on 3.1.3 with Spirit and I installed ultrasn0w to test if it works, and it does, works great with T-Mobile SIM, only one problem... Cydia is stock with a Change badge, I go to it, it says its ultrasn0w, I update, and then, it keeps showing the badge and the update for ultrasn0w, Im about to delete ultras0w from the phone to see if this fix the problem, anyone else with this??? anyone knows why this happen???
    so youre on Windows and a 3GS unlocked? did you downgrade or did you never update to stock 4.0?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,938 Times in 1,095 Posts

sounds like me, 3gs originally blackrain up to 3.1.2 then spirit for 3.1.3, now what for 4.0....have not restored or upgraded to 4.0 yet

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Jailbreak/Unlock works great on my 3g iPhone. Just waiting for 4.0 support for SwirlyMMS and some other Cydia packages. Thanks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone jasonm253's Avatar
    Thanks

if ur waiting for swirly because of mms just google tmobile settings and in the network part of the phone u can fill in the mms settings urself...dunno if thats th reason ur waiting but if so there u go

My iPhone is a Part of Me DJM AutoWerkz's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow swirly there still around.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default In a Jam
    Hey everyone, just signed up after reading about 15 of the 28 pages of this thread. I have learned a lot but am still stuck in my updating progress.

1. I formatted my hard drive, forgot to save the backup or library itunes made, and now it tells me if I sync, I will lose everything on the phone because it is tied to a different itunes library.Honestly I really don't want to type all my contacts etc in again.

2. Then comes the the intermingling of problems, as with the situation above, can I just forgo this process, and iTunes will accept the iphone if I upgrade and jailbreak to 4.0?

--Perhaps useful info--
    I am on baseband 5.11.07 and firmware 3.1.2 (running an app that makes the phone think it is 3.1.3). I used black snow about a month ago. 32 gig iphone 3gs. Jailbroken/unlocked.

If anyone could even get me headed in the right direction, I would really appreciate it, as even Google has failed me in understanding this. Thanks a lot.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

sad to say im having problem with 3gs,

but on the other side this is really a great news

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default my short review
    so for those of you out there that are still on the fence in regards to upgrading to 4.0, maybe this will help you.

I have been using 4.0 for about 12 hours now on T-Mobile and have had no real major issues with it on my 8gb 3g iphone.

I have multitasking and wallpapers enabled and for the most part the phone runs pretty smooth. There is lag everyonce in a while, it happens mainly when you switch back to the main screen from an app. There can be some slight lag when using the on screen keyboard when you start typing a message but it soon catches up.

I have had zero issues when it comes to running apps! all apps run just as fast as they did before on 3.1.2

Multitasking is pretty cool and it runs well. It is nice to be able to switch from one app to another without going back to the main screen, it works well but there is some slow down but again nothing that would stop me from using it. If you want to close out apps just double tap the home button and hold your finger on one of the apps and you can select which ones to close.

Wall papers are cool! I am not sure if these are the reason for some of the lag or not, i might try and jailbreak again with no wallpaper to see if it is the cause, the lag is not bad and it does not really bother me but it might bother others.

I have not used cydia all that much, i never used it much before. I have downloaded sbsettings and it works great. YMMV on other apps from cydia or rock i think it will be trial and error for a while

There is no doubt the 4.0 update pushes the 3g to the absolute limit but the phone is working well, everything functions as it should. Battery life honestly seems to have improved some, i will report back later on with more definitive findings though.

I like the 4.0 update, if you can stand some lag every once in a while i think you will like it too! I hope this help you guys out there who are on the fence!

Regards
    Brett Day
    Last edited by brett_day; 06-24-2010 at 11:20 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone beav626's Avatar
    Thanks

like some others Im a 3Gs on 3.1.2 5.111 baseband. Waiting for a PC Jailbreak

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beav626 View Post
    like some others Im a 3Gs on 3.1.2 5.111 baseband. Waiting for a PC Jailbreak
    see you are in OKC! i am in Moore! nice to see a fellow okie on here

iPhone? More like MyPhone beav626's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brett_day View Post
    see you are in OKC! i am in Moore! nice to see a fellow okie on here
    yup, im in Moore too. did you get yours Jailbroke yet?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beav626 View Post
    yup, im in Moore too. did you get yours Jailbroke yet?
    yeah i am jailbroke and unlocked! i have a 3g. i wrote a review just above your other post!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm253 View Post
    if ur waiting for swirly because of mms just google tmobile settings and in the network part of the phone u can fill in the mms settings urself...dunno if thats th reason ur waiting but if so there u go
    for some reason those settings only seem to be working on sending mms but not receiving.

Thanks

Just jb'd and unlocked iOS4 on my 3g, seems to be running a lot faster than 3.1 was for me.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Can u manually disable the wallpaper? Like when iFile fixes there app to work with iOS4 is it a simple switch like bgwallpaper = 0 ?

I also noticed safari uses alot more memory then in 3.1.x, almost seems like its leaking memory... i had just safari opened, viewing modmyi.com in iphone theme, and i went from 54mb free, to 28mb free and as I sat and viewed a page, it would go down 1mb every few seconds... till i was down to like 9mb.