Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Best Buy Leaks Become a Gusher

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Best Buy Leaks Become a Gusher

[UPDATED: BBInsider pointed out that the original story misstated the reason why PhotoBucket rejected the leaked files. I've made corrections below.]

Someone inside Best Buy is leaking like the Deepwater Horizon. There's little that's earth-shattering or sketchy in the internal info that's been revealed, with the possible exception of the fact that Best Buy may be offering pre-orders as late as 11am on launch day, June 24th. That's if they actually have un-pre-sold inventory on that day, which is unclear at this time. However, many retailers have ordered large quantities: when they get them, of course, is anyone's guess.

Details of the electronics retailer's iPhone 4 launch were leaked to the mobile phone discussion site HowardForums.com last week. Because [snip] the size of the scanned documents exceeded his PhotoBucket limit, the Best Buy employee - using the name BBInsider - has been providing scanned images of internal company documents to iClarified.

Along with standard stuff like what time to show up on launch day (3 hours before the store opens) and how to deal with the possible crowds (no additional workers, "partner across the store" i.e. drag somebody from the audio department over) the newly-leaked employee bulletin includes a provision allowing pre-orders ("pre-sales") to be accepted before the store opens up to 11am local time. Most best Buy locations open at 10 am.

A common thread running through all the employee instructions is the fact that no one seems to know how many iPhones will be available on launch day, or if any will be. Supposedly, there will be an update later this week - which BBInsider will probably leak as soon as he or she gets a hold of it - and we'll know if lines outside of Best Buys will be justified. Leaked inventory orders, though, show many stores ordering anywhere from 20 to 70 16GB black iPhone 4s. This is no indication of how many will actually ship - there are also orders for white iPhones, which we know will not be available on launch day.

Rumors out earlier this month had 30 32GB and 15 16GB phones going to each store. These unconfirmed reports were before the pre-orders began and chaos ensued.

images via iClarified
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 06-21-2010 at 04:35 PM.

Thanks

wow thats kinda some bs..

HAH sweet. That happens to be my local area too. Looks like the closest Best Buy to me ordered 23 of the black 16GB iPhone 4's.

Too bad I preordered at the Apple Store right across the street from it!
    If you like or found helpful anything I have said, please click that nice little Thanks button!

Man. I'm on edge. Hope it pans out and I get a call from BB Wednesday.

Wow sucks for some Best Buy buyers, glad I ordered from Apple website. Just got my shipment email this morning, kinda off topic, but it says delivery is on June 23 10:30 am, is this possible? Cuz the release date is 24th.

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    Wow sucks for some Best Buy buyers, glad I ordered from Apple website. Just got my shipment email this morning, kinda off topic, but it says delivery is on June 23 10:30 am, is this possible? Cuz the release date is 24th.
    nope, not possible. it will come on the 24th.

Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    nope, not possible. it will come on the 24th.

Alright thanks, maybe I'll be lucky lol, also off topics, I used to live in Canton lol 3 years ago.

Thanks

Yea your local Fedex location will receive it by the 23rd, but they'll hold it until the morning of the 24th

OT: It's 1:00 PM EST. iOS4 is not out yet. What's going on Apple?
    Last edited by adp; 06-21-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

What I am still unclear is will the new iPhone be able for purchase without any contract? I see the price of 599$. Does it mean we'll be able to get it for this price without contract and any binding to ATT?

piston597, I got the same email. If you click on the tracking number on that email, it will open a FedEx tracking page and on there it shows the delivery date being the 24th no later than 4:30 pm. I think the delivery date on the email from Apple is in reference to the delivery date to the FedEx location. I'm just curious though, if you go to the FedEx location the night of the 23rd, could you pick it up? I don't see how they can hold it, but maybe there is an agreement with Apple?

lol well sounds like i will have a bit of a wait because i didnt pre order an iphone i just planned to go and pick up one in my local walmart or something since i live in a small town but I also want the white phone so will have to wait even longer. hope this doesnt turn into a clusterf*** but its starting to sound like it will with a bunch of people being mad and annoyed.

interesting..

Roscoe my beautiful blue pittie puppy

Just got an email from apple reminding me to pick up my iPhone jun 24!!!

Screw Bestbuy. I just got my email from at&t with my FedEx tracking number confirming that my iPhone 4 is ready to be picked-up by the carrier and shipped on-time. I hope everyone else that pre-ordered is just as lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by wookiee2cu View Post
    piston597, I got the same email. If you click on the tracking number on that email, it will open a FedEx tracking page and on there it shows the delivery date being the 24th no later than 4:30 pm. I think the delivery date on the email from Apple is in reference to the delivery date to the FedEx location. I'm just curious though, if you go to the FedEx location the night of the 23rd, could you pick it up? I don't see how they can hold it, but maybe there is an agreement with Apple?

The answer is NO. I drive for UPS and we handled the iPad and also when the Harry Potter books were released on a specific day. The shipper has a contract with the carrier to ONLY deliver the phones on the 24th, and no earlier. In the case of the Harry Potter books we had some put in the trucks the day before release and were instructed to hold them for the Saturday release day because of the specific contract. No one will get an iPhone 4 on the 23rd unless there's a major screw-up, and I highly doubt it. FedEx will have the same release day contract we did so you'll see it on the 24th.
    Last edited by ronfin44; 06-21-2010 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks ronfin44, seeings how Apple is total control freaks I thought there was the possibility of an agreement with the shipper that they not go out until the 24th no matter what. Oh well, it's getting shipped to my work and I'll bring my laptop into activate it so I'll still be able to play my new toy :-) I'm just wondering if the servers will be able to keep up with everyone trying to activate. At least they rolled out the OS update a few days before launch day to help ease some of the traffic.

FOR THE RECORD

PhotoBucket did not "refused to host the leaked files" , I exceeded my bandwidth limit.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Hmm interesting. One of my best friends works @ fed ex as a hiring manager/supervisor on the graveyard shift. Just asked if he'd hook me up and let me pick up my phone on the 23rd. He said he'd love to but there was no way in hell he could do that and not get into some kind of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by scatman10 View Post
    Hmm interesting. One of my best friends works @ fed ex as a hiring manager/supervisor on the graveyard shift. Just asked if he'd hook me up and let me pick up my phone on the 23rd. He said he'd love to but there was no way in hell he could do that and not get into some kind of trouble.
    Like I said, this specific item has a very specific shipper/carrier contract. Like the iPad and (as an example again) the Harry Potter books, per contract agreement these packages can NOT be signed for prior to the launch date. The money involved in a contract like this is worth way too much to have it screwed-up by a few eager employees trying to hook people up. FedEx is non-union, and I could see people losing their jobs over violating this agreement. FedEx wants to keep Apple as a customer for future releases, so they'll be extremely strict with delivering these iPhones. Sorry, but no one will be getting "hooked-up" on the 23rd unless they know someone willing to lose their job over a phone.

I think it would be brilliant if Apple let them be delivered on the 23rd. #1 it would take some strain off AT&T's servers by spreading the load over 2 days (23rd for reorders, and 24th for in store pickups). #2, Verizon/Motorola is planning on a big Droid announcement on the 23rd (timed specifically to steal some of Apple's glory I am sure) , and Apple could turn the tables on them with the news reports of early deliveries if they did it. I know I am on crack, but it's still a theory I like.

No that's just a dumb theory. Actually it's an insult to theories to have the word theory in the same sentence/paragraph as that. I actually need to go read a book now to make up for the sudden loss of intelligence from reading that.

Please don't do that ever again.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast