+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No Cell Minutes Used for iPhone FaceTime Calls

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Dan Frommer of Silicon Alley Insider is sharing some good news with iPhone 4 buyers and prospective buyers this weekend. According to his sources from Apple, the new FaceTime video
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default No Cell Minutes Used for iPhone FaceTime Calls

Dan Frommer of Silicon Alley Insider is sharing some good news with iPhone 4 buyers and prospective buyers this weekend. According to his sources from Apple, the new FaceTime video calls - as hoped - won't use any carrier minutes even when initiated from within a voice call.

The report comes as a welcome morsel of positive news as many AT&T customers have grown restless and eager to find out more about the potential costs and restrictions of the long-awaited iPhone video call feature.

While some have accused both Apple and AT&T of using "cryptic language" when referring to the FaceTime feature, many of the details we've waited for are now finally be coming to light. After all, the Apple rep told Frommer that "The voice call ends as soon as the FaceTime call connects. The FaceTime call is over Wi-Fi so does not use carrier minutes." That's pretty straightforward and far from "cryptic."

Apart from the ease with which carrier minutes would disintegrate if absorbed during FaceTime calls, some AT&T customers also expressed concern that a shoddy 3G mobile connection would preclude users from having an enjoyable, smooth video phone call. Wi-Fi reliability will underpin FaceTime calls, which won't have the voice call continued in the background as a "backup" should the video call abruptly end.

For the next version of FaceTime that works over 3G, Apple and its carrier partners will need to decide how those calls are billed -- as minutes toward voice calling, as data toward monthly data caps, or both, or something entirely different.
    As our friends at Apple Insider reported, it is certainly possible but not yet confirmed that Apple may soon make it possible to initiate FaceTime calls from a future iPod touch - one designed with a corresponding camera optimized for such functionality.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Freerunnering (06-21-2010), iPhone4...20 (06-20-2010), johnr9412 (06-20-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Kinda figured it'd be like that. Not like I'll ever use it considering the only other person around here I know that's getting an iPhone 4 is one of my bosses...

Maybe I could make a Facetime call from a job site and show him how awesome/terrible things are going.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

screamforme02 (06-20-2010)

adp
    Thanks

Is there anyone here who actually thought you would be charged? Captain Obvious?
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Seriously a waste of an article. You can only make facetime calls to other iPhone 4 users. iPhone is only with AT&T. AT&T calls to other AT&T customers already don't use minutes. A big fat duh!!!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spiderguy84 For This Useful Post:

Dust Busta (06-20-2010), jcal08 (06-21-2010)

Thanks
    Before you people speak you should think. There are rumors that ATT is going to charge for data when using the femtocell which uses your existing internet connection. So if there are rumors about that why wouldn't there be rumors about this.

And why wouldn't you think for a second that ATT wouldn't try and gouge it's customers...? They certainly did with the data rate changes.

You people are giving ATT too much credit.

Green Apple
    Thanks

slow news day huh?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to faymus For This Useful Post:

AlexCrammer (06-21-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well, one plan only has 5000 minutes of AT&T to AT&T but otherwise that's true. There is no way it'd be charged (unless another phone used it because FaceTime is open sourced now)

Quote Originally Posted by spiderguy84 View Post
    Seriously a waste of an article. You can only make facetime calls to other iPhone 4 users. iPhone is only with AT&T. AT&T calls to other AT&T customers already don't use minutes. A big fat duh!!!

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

When are they going to just refer to everything as data? I've never understood the dual rates of data and voice. When it all gets boiled down, it is all just data packets, is it not?

Thanks

Who thought you'd be charged?

Too bad I won't have my phone for a while, and everyone around me couldn't give 2 shi(t)s about the iPhone 4 lol...

Proud to be the only Apple Junky in my city.

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    Is there anyone here who actually thought you would be charged? Captain Obvious?
    the people who actually watched WWDC and saw that, what do ya know, you start a facetime call by actually calling something. therefor using minutes. its a legitimate question and this is a legit answer.
    thank you for the article

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Kinda figured it'd be like that. Not like I'll ever use it considering the only other person around here I know that's getting an iPhone 4 is one of my bosses...

Maybe I could make a Facetime call from a job site and show him how awesome/terrible things are going.
    haha exactly it would be good..

maybe they will have an agmuneted reality add on so i can pretend im at a job site
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Thanks

Sorry John. You're wrong. Anyone who watched wwdc knows you can only use face time with other iPhones. Every AT&T plan has unlimited mobile to mobile. So there's no reason anyone should have ever thought you'd get charged in face time.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think everyone that is throwing out the captain obvious lines is misguided. I mean we are talking about ATT here, why would you ever assume you wouldn't be charged just because you had to use WI-FI?

I thought it would be charged as regular voice mins and only the video would use the WI-FI. I mean Skype on Verizon comes out of regular voice mins when calling landlines, what's the point of getting Skypeout?

Green Apple
    Thanks

It doesn't use minutes because you do it over Wi-Fi. ?????

JFR
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I would rather only the video be transmitted through wi-fi, and the voice through the cell signal...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JFR For This Useful Post:

KingCane (06-20-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Omg here we go again

Thanks

duuuhhh wifi only,, is not that obvious?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneApps View Post
    Before you people speak you should think. There are rumors that ATT is going to charge for data when using the femtocell which uses your existing internet connection. So if there are rumors about that why wouldn't there be rumors about this.

And why wouldn't you think for a second that ATT wouldn't try and gouge it's customers...? They certainly did with the data rate changes.

You people are giving ATT too much credit.
    Good point... except that AT&T to AT&T calls are already free (they do not use plan minutes).

I'm guessing that FaceTime will also work with iChat clients, so that is where some concern comes from. Of course iChat is data

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnr9412 View Post
    the people who actually watched WWDC and saw that, what do ya know, you start a facetime call by actually calling something. therefor using minutes. its a legitimate question and this is a legit answer.
    thank you for the article
    So in MSN messenger or AOL whenever you start a webcam calling feature (using data), you should be charged right? I think you're stuck in 1999
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spiderguy84 View Post
    iPhone is only with AT&T.
    Is that right?

So what's up with Facetime internationally?

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast