+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 4 Multitasking Supported Apps Already Turning Up in App Store

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Although Apple won't begin distributing iOS 4 to the public until next Monday, June 21st, three days before the official iPhone 4 launch, app updates - updates that support new
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default iOS 4 Multitasking Supported Apps Already Turning Up in App Store

Although Apple won't begin distributing iOS 4 to the public until next Monday, June 21st, three days before the official iPhone 4 launch, app updates - updates that support new iOS 4 features like multitasking - are beginning to get the Apple stamp of approval and turning up in the App Store. It's a safe bet that by the time you get your hands on the new iPhone, there will be a smorgasbord of top-notch apps and updates that will effectively take the new iOS and its accompanying bells and whistles for a memorable test drive.

One such example, as reported by our friends at MacRumors, is Dropbox (v1.2.2), the hugely popular file sharing/syncing service. While only a few newsworthy updates have manifested in the App Store so far, Dropbox is joined by FlightTrack, which boasts in-app SMS for sharing flight details and a cool function enabling users to sync flights with the iPhone's calendar app. Although these are only two examples, keep your eyes peeled for an influx of similar updates and new offerings in the days (if not hours) ahead. But, unfortunately, while millions of iPhone owners will soon enjoy the multitasking capabilities of iOS 4 (assuming your iPhone 4 preorder wasn't canned), iPad owners will have to wait a few more months until the iOS 4 officially arrives for the iPad.

Incredibly, Apple only began accepting iOS 4-compatible app submissions one week ago. In this regard, it's reassuring to witness in practice the Steve Jobs' WWDC proclamation that 95% of all app submissions get an okay from Apple within one week's time. Of course, it's also a fair observation that Apple is likely giving special attention to apps that show off iOS 4’s shiny new attributes. In other words, if you're a dev who has submitted an app that's less than a multitasking gem, it wouldn't be shocking if more than one week passes before Apple gives the all clear sign
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 06-17-2010 at 01:12 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Freerunnering (06-17-2010), reaves205 (06-17-2010)

Thanks

I just cannot wait for it to be fully stable and to public so i can jailbreak it!

iPhone? More like MyPhone brianlg's Avatar
    Thanks

Can't wait til more start getting updates! I love 4.0 and would love to see how the multitasking is meant to work!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Haven't got the opportunity to test out 4.0 yet even though I have a developer account. Hope it's good!

Thanks

@tgabriel123

You do not need a dev account for 4.0 GM (8A293)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

this has been happening for a while now.

Thanks

So far I'm loving 4.0, really digging the new organization option thanks to Folders. No more Categories / CategoriesSB for me, and it might be me hyped about thew new "iOS" but It does feel lighter and faster. (Could also be because I had tons of crap on 3.1.2 though)

Also I'm particularly interested in Game Center. Can't wait to see what's in store for it.
    iPhone 32GB 3GS - iOS 4.2.1 - BB: 5.11.07
    iPhone 16GB 3G - 3.1.3 - BB: 4.28.08

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i am waiting for jailbreak tool more than official release of ios4 Dev team i am waiting

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

multitasking is going to be great

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm gonna wait on this upgrade until we get support for stuff like:

FrostBite
    SnowCover Pro
    3G Unrestrictor
    Rename2
    Chronus
    YourTube
    Winterboard
    Status Notifier
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails iOS 4 Multitasking Supported Apps Already Turning Up in App Store-09966c4d.jpg   iOS 4 Multitasking Supported Apps Already Turning Up in App Store-fe5ae951.jpg   iOS 4 Multitasking Supported Apps Already Turning Up in App Store-23e58f9a.jpg   iOS 4 Multitasking Supported Apps Already Turning Up in App Store-3b85e78a.jpg  
    Last edited by klouud; 06-17-2010 at 06:12 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea, just noticed fandango added support for 4.0 and was wondering if I missed the update! Good to see developers keeping things up to date. Was gonna get iPhone 4, but my contract isnt up until february of next year... so theres no way im paying $499 for an "upgrade." My 3GS is fine for now. Hopefully when my contract is up they'll have a 64gb and jailbroken apps will all be updated and compatible with ios4.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RaiV3R View Post
    So far I'm loving 4.0, really digging the new organization option thanks to Folders. No more Categories / CategoriesSB for me, and it might be me hyped about thew new "iOS" but It does feel lighter and faster. (Could also be because I had tons of crap on 3.1.2 though)

Also I'm particularly interested in Game Center. Can't wait to see what's in store for it.
    A non-jailbroken OS is usually a little "zippier". Is your BETA jailbroken?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xtremeiphone View Post
    multitasking is going to be great
    Backgrounder and Circuitous have been working great for me. Im a little disappointed actually. My double-press home button is assigned to my camera which I really like. Its much quicker to click the home button twice than to try and find the camera icon/app. I guess Ill just have to get used to it. Plus folders are gonna suck. I like categories better especially with the springboard integration. In ios4 you'll have to scroll forever to get to the end if you have like 94 games in a games folder.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
    Backgrounder and Circuitous have been working great for me. Im a little disappointed actually. My double-press home button is assigned to my camera which I really like. Its much quicker to click the home button twice than to try and find the camera icon/app. I guess Ill just have to get used to it. Plus folders are gonna suck. I like categories better especially with the springboard integration. In ios4 you'll have to scroll forever to get to the end if you have like 94 games in a games folder.
    You can only have 12 apps per folder. So I guess you could also organize your games into separate categories with one folder having action games and another having racing games. In my opinion, Apple should have allowed users to put more apps into a folder. I've been using iOS 4 for a few days now and overall it is great.

Green Apple
    Thanks

looking forward to see the new apps

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I'm not even worrying about JB for a couple of months; I'll just be enjoying the new phone and new OS, and wait for a stable JB solution down the road. Plus, Apple is famous for putting out a ".01" update to their OS shortly after the initial release.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MacDevil7334's Avatar
    Thanks

Downloaded the dropbox update yesterday and it works perfectly. It is awesome to be reading a doc I have stored on my dropbox server then switch to messages to write a txt and then go back and be able to pick up right where I left off. And there is absolutely no lag. I was able to scroll within the document immediately. I think Apple really got this one right.

Now we really need that Pandora update...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D_NGUYEN View Post
    You can only have 12 apps per folder. So I guess you could also organize your games into separate categories with one folder having action games and another having racing games. In my opinion, Apple should have allowed users to put more apps into a folder. I've been using iOS 4 for a few days now and overall it is great.
    That just seems so redundant. Suddenly you have like 8 folders for games instead of one? Not to mention the icons look dumb and are not very discernible at quick glance. Compare these photos... Eventually thats what your phone would look like (left). A plethora of folders that all look the same. Its chaos. I have 4 folders (right). Games, Jailbroken, Health/Fitness, and Media... and you can tell from the icons (a lot better than apple's folder icon) what my folders contain.Im sticking with CategoriesSB.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagleye For This Useful Post:

oo3 (06-17-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    A non-jailbroken OS is usually a little "zippier". Is your BETA jailbroken?
    Yeah, I used Pwnage Tool & Unlocked it. But nah, there is definitely a speed increase.

As for it being Beta, it's definitely out of that state. Last year the GM ended up being the same as the 3.0 that eventually was released to public.

Doubt it's any different with this one, and if it is, these two weeks just let devs get everything ready for 4.0 before the big release and to help iron out the last few small bugs. If that happens, no biggie, I'll just restore and do it again. Not like I can install many apps right now since they aren't fully compatible. Definitely enjoying the update though. Many things have been implemented that used to require jailbreaking.

As for Folders only having a max of 12 apps, wow, that really kills the idea of having folders in the first place. But it's still nice to have. I like the display of the Folders. I'll probably just use them for "Genres" and whatnot, to keep it more tidy then.
    iPhone 32GB 3GS - iOS 4.2.1 - BB: 5.11.07
    iPhone 16GB 3G - 3.1.3 - BB: 4.28.08

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast