+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 4 Multitasking Supported Apps Already Turning Up in App Store

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Vandale I just cannot wait for it to be fully stable and to public so i can jailbreak it! Yea I'm with Vandale. I dont plan on
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Wilbourn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vandale View Post
    I just cannot wait for it to be fully stable and to public so i can jailbreak it!
    Yea I'm with Vandale. I dont plan on jailbreaking my iPhone (assuming I get to the my local apple store early enough to get my hands on one of the phones from their "first come first served shippment" now that my reserve endured an epic fail) until a few days/weeks until a fully stable and safe jailbreak method is out. I would hate to try and jailbreak it day one with a "beta" jailbreak program only to brick my shinny new toy that Im sure Ill have had lost an entire nights worth of sleep for. Id rather have other try out and test the jailbreak first lol.

But anyways, I got off topic and this is a thread on 4.0 OS apps, not jailbreaking. Im extremely curious to see what kind of ideas and goodies that will come out due to the new features of the 4.0 OS and the from the capabilities of the new iPhone. Im even more excited to see what kind of ideas will come out via cydia.
    You see that "Thanks!" button? It likes it when you click it!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilbourn For This Useful Post:

RuffyM (06-17-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default regarding firmware 4.0
    Hi, any way I can get firmware 4.0 installed on my iphone 3gs that I can install on a pc? Thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks

I thought you can still "un-background" and app by holding it in the dock and clicking on the X or something like that?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    You people should know how Apple's implementation of backgrounding works before saying crap like Backgrounder is better. Apple has 2 layers of backgrounding. The first one is known as freeze-drying. It's saves the state of your recently opened applications for quick switching. THESE APPS ARE NOT RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND. When you open the app again, it remember where it was and resumes quickly rather than going through a fresh boot-up. The 2nd layer is proper backgrounding and even then it isn't the app itself that is kept running. It's the services that remain running. Things like audio, GPS, last task, those functions remain running in the background while the rest of the app is freeze-dried.

AN EXAMPLE: a GPS navigation app can keep the GPS running while you do something else and when you re-open it, it won't have to reroute/find you again since it never lost track of where you are. Apps like Pandora can close all their UI and leave the audio stream running. The app itself isn't left running, but whatever the app was doing is.

So again, much MUCH better implemented than just leaving the whole app running like backgrounder does.
    That's exactly why I prefer Backgrounder though, because it left the app completely running in the background it helped me go ahead and let me swap much faster. Not hitting on this new multitasking feature, since it obviously won't eat up battery life or memory like Backgrounder does. But I'm talking about speed, and Background still switches faster than this, I just ended up freeing memory anytime I was below 60MB.

Now, some games seem to like to reload completely instead of just loading up from the paused menu. While in Backgrounder you just got straight back in because it's running in the background. I know though that if Apple had done this it would've been a stupid move since it's not really a smart idea. But regardless, to me Backgrounder > Apple's version of multitasking.

Thats just my 2 cents anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by asoni25 View Post
    Hi, any way I can get firmware 4.0 installed on my iphone 3gs that I can install on a pc? Thanks
    Might just be a good idea to wait, only a few days left for the official release. More hassle than it's worth on a PC I think.
    iPhone 32GB 3GS - iOS 4.2.1 - BB: 5.11.07
    iPhone 16GB 3G - 3.1.3 - BB: 4.28.08

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
    That just seems so redundant. Suddenly you have like 8 folders for games instead of one? Not to mention the icons look dumb and are not very discernible at quick glance. Compare these photos... Eventually thats what your phone would look like (left). A plethora of folders that all look the same. Its chaos. I have 4 folders (right). Games, Jailbroken, Health/Fitness, and Media... and you can tell from the icons (a lot better than apple's folder icon) what my folders contain.Im sticking with CategoriesSB.
    I completely agree, multiple identical-looking folders are just more mess to deal with. I hope that Categories and/or CategoriesSB will be updated to work with folders; e.g. allowing more than 12 apps per folder, changing icons etc.

Green Apple
    Thanks

this is nerve recking. They released itunes early might as well release the new firmware already damn!!!!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    You people should know how Apple's implementation of backgrounding works before saying crap like Backgrounder is better. Apple has 2 layers of backgrounding. The first one is known as freeze-drying. It's saves the state of your recently opened applications for quick switching. THESE APPS ARE NOT RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND. When you open the app again, it remember where it was and resumes quickly rather than going through a fresh boot-up. The 2nd layer is proper backgrounding and even then it isn't the app itself that is kept running. It's the services that remain running. Things like audio, GPS, last task, those functions remain running in the background while the rest of the app is freeze-dried.

AN EXAMPLE: a GPS navigation app can keep the GPS running while you do something else and when you re-open it, it won't have to reroute/find you again since it never lost track of where you are. Apps like Pandora can close all their UI and leave the audio stream running. The app itself isn't left running, but whatever the app was doing is.

So again, much MUCH better implemented than just leaving the whole app running like backgrounder does.

I'm not hating on their method... as you can see in my post, i asked for someone to give me a more detailed explanation, (and which, you rightfully did, thank you ) ...

So based on what you said, great, but I don't feel apps that are "freeze dried", should appear in my dock. why do i want to see compass, voice recorder, picture, clock it in the dock... It's just a waste of relestate on your dock. That's my point. I'm totally glad of that freeze drying method, but I don't think the items that are dried should be displayed in the dock.

But I do apprecaite you telling me of the two methods..

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mp3Supply View Post
    I'm not hating on their method... as you can see in my post, i asked for someone to give me a more detailed explanation, (and which, you rightfully did, thank you ) ...

So based on what you said, great, but I don't feel apps that are "freeze dried", should appear in my dock. why do i want to see compass, voice recorder, picture, clock it in the dock... It's just a waste of relestate on your dock. That's my point. I'm totally glad of that freeze drying method, but I don't think the items that are dried should be displayed in the dock.

But I do apprecaite you telling me of the two methods..
    I don't have a 3Gs so I can't play around with the multi-tasking, but have you tried this? As far I can tell, the multi-task will show whatever apps you've used last, so playing with compass, etc would put them there.

I thought you can still "un-background" and app by holding it in the dock and clicking on the X or something like that?

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

All you have to do is theme the Apple Folder Icon with Winterboard... All I can do is mod Themes (not create them) and I know that... whats the big deal?

Debate over

tim

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey I was wondering if anyone else has seen this effect when getting/receiving a call the contact photos are much larger than they use to be. I hope there is simply and option that i need to turn off. Can someone let me know? Thank you so much. I will include a photo of what exactly im taking about.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20316682@N07/4710140860/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vandale View Post
    I just cannot wait for it to be fully stable and to public so i can jailbreak it!
    i have an ipod 2g, running 4.0. it's jailbroken. just use redsn0w dude

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1147 View Post
    Can someone let me know? Thank you so much. I will include a photo of what exactly im taking about.

iphone contact photo blown up on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    more importantly, why is your phone number covered up?

DON'T YOU TRUST US?
    Last edited by lolcats1; 06-17-2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

more importantly, why is your phone number covered up?

DON'T YOU TRUST US?[/QUOTE]

Well it's not the phone number but yes i did cover that up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Me too!!
    Quote Originally Posted by iCantu View Post
    I know this might be a stupid question.. but can i get 4.0 early? i knw it comes out in a few days i dont have a dev account but really want to get it wrkn.. if theres a link or something that'll be awesome! i have a 3gs. thanks!!
    I'm in the same boat, I want it early!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PensRock View Post
    I'm in the same boat, I want it early!!
    Haha I know that feeling all too well. However, unless you just want to check it out. I'd seriously hold off guys, iOS 4's effect kinda wears off on you the first hour or so. The only reason I did it was to see the new features and what it could do, and test out a few apps for compatibility. I plan to downgrade back to 3.1.2 since I have the older 3GS model.

Beyond that, I don't plan on using iOS4 right away at the moment as several things are still obviously broke, kinda like when 3.0 came out.

If you depend on an unlock, it's better if you wait ESPECIALLY if you are on a baseband beyond 5.11.07. Also, with Cellular Data being changed around on iOS4. The packages on Cydia do not work, more hassle than it's worth.

I also don't know if 4.0 is available for 3G yet. I just know about the 3GS one. Just three more days guys, might as well wait a little longer. Just a few days more.
    iPhone 32GB 3GS - iOS 4.2.1 - BB: 5.11.07
    iPhone 16GB 3G - 3.1.3 - BB: 4.28.08

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RaiV3R For This Useful Post:

drWidowmaker53 (06-18-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RaiV3R View Post
    Now, some games seem to like to reload completely instead of just loading up from the paused menu. While in Backgrounder you just got straight back in because it's running in the background.
    If I am not mistaken the only app updated and approved by Apple (currently) for iOS4 (outside of the Apple defaults) is Dropbox. Many of your installed apps are not taking full advantage of the new iOS4 APIs (particularly multitasking) which is why those games reload.

We are all going to have to wait a little while before these apps are updated to fully support the iOS4 APIs (includes multitasking or freeze-dried mode).
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

My iPhone is a Part of Me mofolo's Avatar
    Thanks

3G has no support for 4.0 MultiTasking right?

I'm sure it's as easy as modifying a plist.

iPhone? More like MyPhone posrjak's Avatar
    Thanks

Any new updates on Apps with multitasking? Seems funny that Drop Box would be first and so far a head of the rest of the Apps

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

iKamasutra and fandango I think, I know for sure that iKamasutra supports iOS 4.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RuffyM View Post
    iKamasutra and fandango I think, I know for sure that iKamasutra supports iOS 4.
    Thank God. I don't know what I'd do if iKamasutra didn't support iOS 4 multitasking.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mofolo View Post
    3G has no support for 4.0 MultiTasking right?

I'm sure it's as easy as modifying a plist.
    Don't bother. Apple wasn't kidding when they said that the 3G can't handle it. Enabling wallpaper/multi-tasking kills the 3G. Everything and anything takes forever to open.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.