+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T "Looking Into" Security Breach

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default AT&T "Looking Into" Security Breach

Following reports that people trying to preorder iPhone 4s found that they were logged in to someone else's account, AT&T has issued a statement saying that they are "looking into the matter" but haven't been able to find the problem so far. An internal source supposedly told Gizmodo, however, that the security hole happened right after a "fraud update" brought down all the servers at a company that does AT&T order processing.

AT&T's statement says that they "have been unable to replicate the issue, but the information displayed did not include call-detail records, social security numbers, or credit card information." Anyone else see the inconsistency? Yeah. If you can't replicate the issue, how do you know what was displayed or not displayed? CYA is understandable, but make it believable, please. To be sure, no one has yet come forward claiming that they saw someone else's credit card info, but that could be because they're on their free trip to Hawaii right now.

Speaking of believability, Gizmodo - which has been (perhaps understandably) pushing a lot of "Apple Sucks (And So Do Their Partners)" stories of late - has an unconfirmed report from "an AT&T insider" of some server issues that could explain the breach. Someone claiming to work at "a 3rd party order processing facility—what AT&T refers to as a 3CC" says that "there was a major outage over the weekend that impacted all ordering systems and programs." The source didn't seem to have enough information to connect the two events, but said that at the same time, "there were multiple systems being upgraded/updated, with some updates being related to fraud."

AT&T's servers are being blamed for the delays and disconnections in the iPhone preorder process yesterday, with Apple's servers able to deal with the increased load: apparently only during the eligibility checking process did things bog down. I mean, it felt wicked low-tech filling out a piece of paper (that said "Reserve Your's TODAY!") and giving it to a lady who asked me if I was "illegible" for upgrade pricing, but at least the order went through.

Um, I hope.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Freerunnering (06-16-2010), reaves205 (06-16-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone mmurphmsu's Avatar
    Thanks

You would have thought they would have prepared a little better since the hype for the phone was already high.

iPhone? More like MyPhone giancarlo's Avatar
    Thanks

they tried to get me with that old-school credit card receipt crap but I stayed there until the system accepted credit cards again and got my two receipts PAID IN FULL. SOB's better get me my phone by the 24th!

Thanks

cant agree more - the paper make one feel so good about getting through in time.
    Ill be at the att store relatively early hoping to get one in time - as crazy as that is anyways.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

At one point yesterday when I was trying to both order on AT&T's website and on Apple's simultaneously (hoping one of them would work), I was logged out of my AT&T account and the screen did show someone else's username pre-populated, but I wasn't logged in as them it was still prompting for a password. I sort of disregarded it at the time, but now things are making sense.
    Last edited by jreb13; 06-16-2010 at 12:44 PM.

The 20th Member
    Thanks

happened to me i was logged into a holographics IRU account i was like hmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    Once you purchase a product surely its up to you if you put it in a blender or drive over it in a car, what right do Apple have to stop us abusing our stuff? thats like saying you can't slap your girlfriend, she's your girlfriend, you own her, you can do what you want to her lol

Thanks

Surely one would expect that with all the money these chaps make (AT&T), that they'd have a properly structured system and security in place...or is that just wishful thinking on my part??

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

AT&T's fraud department called us yesterday, they caught someone ordering equipment on our account, which we did not order. They also said to call them if the charges appear on our bill. This is on a business account, but at least they caught the error and stopped the equipment from being shipped out.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If it was Iphone 4's you should have just had them change the shipping address. You could have made a mint!!! Then again they probably would have canceled the order anyway

iPhone? More like MyPhone Riviera's Avatar
    Thanks

Someone is going to get written up or laid off.
    I also smell lawsuit.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pauldanielash View Post
    If you can't replicate the issue, how do you know what was displayed or not displayed? CYA is understandable, but make it believable, please. To be sure, no one has yet come forward claiming that they saw someone else's credit card info, but that could be because they're on their free trip to Hawaii right now.
    Well in AT&T's defense, anyone familiar with how enterprise commerce systems store and display sensitive data can understand why AT&T is confident that certain data was not displayed to anyone.
    Last edited by aperry; 06-17-2010 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks

maybe they need alarm force on their website
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No