Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Apps Run on iPad, Vice Versa

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPhone 4 Apps Run on iPad, Vice Versa

We now have unsurprising but welcome confirmation that apps designed for iPhone 4 will run at full resolution on the larger screen of the iPad. The devs behind the "Make Coffee" app put up a demo on their website showing the quality of their new iPhone 4-scaled app on the iPad, calling the results "unbelievable!" AppleInsider, in their coverage of the demo, notes what is - to me at least - a more satisfying discovery: iPad "HD" apps will run unmodified on iPhone 4.

According to Apple, any apps written for iOS 4 will use higher-resolution screen controls when run on the iPad or iPhone 4. The fact that apps that are written for iPhone 4 will also scale to run on the (slightly) larger screen of the iPad will limit the extra fiddling that would be required for devs to come out with separate iPhone 4, iPad, and iPhone "classic" versions of their apps. Of course, it'll also increase the pressure on devs to focus on a single version, and over time more and more apps will be released only for the newer "HD" platform, leaving a hundred million "classic" owners out in the cold.

AppleInsider also highlights the little-noticed fact that iPhone 4 will be able to use the iPad's VGA video-out cable, so you can hook your iPhone up to any VGA display or projector for 1024x768 video. There's no hardware support for HDMI, though, so even if you download an HD video to your iPhone it will be displayed at lower res. Hmm… is HD video out for iOS waiting for the iTV?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Freerunnering (06-14-2010)

Well this is fantastic, except for the fact that the iPad won't have iOS4 for another few months, and because we all know that iPhone 4 will come with iOS4, this news is about as useful as Navi in the Legend of Zelda.
    Last edited by ownerofspam; 06-14-2010 at 12:29 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

It makes sense for iPhone 4 apps to be able to display on the iPad unmodified but not the other way around. Most apps written for the iPad need the large screen to be functional so when you shrink them down to a 3.5" screen they become useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    It makes sense for iPhone 4 apps to be able to display on the iPad unmodified but not the other way around. Most apps written for the iPad need the large screen to be functional so when you shrink them down to a 3.5" screen they become useless.
    +1. Ipad apps are written for the larger screen... not simply to FILL the screen (ok, some of the crappy ones are). Unfortunately, it could be a major blow to the ipad since Dev's will no longer care as much to produce an ipad-specific app. Apple, you are treading water on keeping the iPad as anything other than a big ipod-touch.
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    +1. Ipad apps are written for the larger screen... not simply to FILL the screen (ok, some of the crappy ones are). Unfortunately, it could be a major blow to the ipad since Dev's will no longer care as much to produce an ipad-specific app. Apple, you are treading water on keeping the iPad as anything other than a big ipod-touch.

^ +2 but I'm glad it's turning out that way...no more worrying about two different products and which to focus on!

Remember that the iPad VGA dock connector is not simply display-mirroring, it is app specific as a 'secondary display' - like for Keynote. Apps can make use of it but only if its enabled in the code. There's very little info released to indicate what video will pass through the VGA adapter. What about something like Netflix? Also since it's 1024x768 it's not really ideal for HD video output anyway.

Can't wait to try out the new iso on my iPad 3G, I seen on the keynote that they will be releasing the iso 4 by the end of June. Im jailbroken and the only thing is installing all of my paid for cydia apps.

on the new iso
    Last edited by bignighttrain; 06-14-2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

^*iOS

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

There are certain Things that are device specific so they won't be EXACTLY the same. for example you can't do menu pop ups on the iPhone. They are reserved for the ipad and it's real estate.

iPhone? More like MyPhone nautical79's Avatar
    Thanks

If Im getting the Iphone 4 why do i will need the ipad for, as far as I'm concerned the ipad is useless for now on.
    Common Sense Its Not So Common

does this confrim that IPHONE4 is using a 1ghz A4 cpu (exactly like ipad)? i assume ram/gfx is the same

thats great news
    Earn a free iPad or iPhone 4: http://www.loogos.org

So, how does this work? I cant get my ipad apps to sync with the iphone 4. They dont show up in the apps tab when syncing.

Yes I am very curious on how to do this as well. Please respond.
    "Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower."
    - Steve Jobs

So, I cant help but notice that none of the iPhone apps run in high res on the iPad on iOS 4.2, is there a reason Apple would keep them at the low resolution?

That's pretty good. Thanks a lot for the information

iphone 4 case