+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How Big Are iPhone 4 Photos and Video?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
In trying to decide whether to go all-out for the 32GB iPhone 4 or save a hundred bucks and just get the 16GB, one of the considerations is photo and
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default How Big Are iPhone 4 Photos and Video?

In trying to decide whether to go all-out for the 32GB iPhone 4 or save a hundred bucks and just get the 16GB, one of the considerations is photo and video size. My whole music library won't fit on any iPhone (or any iPod for that matter), so that's not going to be the deciding factor. But will I regret it if I have a small iPhone and decide to take some video? We don't yet know exactly how big the iPhone's 720p HD video will get, but fortunately, someone has done the calculations and the answer seems to be that you'll want all the space you can get if you're planning on shooting video. Feel free to skip the next few paragraphs if you want to avoid the math.

Justin Horn at WhenWillApple? did a similar estimate last year when trying to decide whether to get a 16GB or 32GB iPhone 3GS. To determine file size for still images, he just does a simple scale up from the size of the files generated by the 3GS's camera: since the 3GS generates an average file size of 1.3 MB at 3.2 megapixels, Justin figures that the pictures taken on the 5-megapixel camera of the iPhone 4 will be about 2.7 MB each. Not that big a deal… even with a bunch of music and apps on your iPhone, you can probably take a couple hundred pictures before noticing it.

In order to figure out video size, Justin goes to Apple's best frenemy Adobe. They have a guide up on their website that gives simple formulas for calculating the amount of space that video will take up. First, you determine the size of a single frame using the formula:
    Frame size K = ([Pixel Width x Pixel Height x Bit Depth] / 8) / 1024
    Figuring that the 720p HD camera will image at a bit depth of 24 colors, Justin calculated ( [960 x 720 x 24] / 8 ) / 1024 for 2025 KB per frame. Then, he multiplied that by 30 for the number of frames per second and got the figure of 60.75 MB for each second of uncompressed video. Justin had estimated a 60:1 compression ratio for the H.264 video on last year's 3GS but found that to be a bit high in practice. Assuming a 40:1 compression ratio made the math come out right, so he's making the same assumption for the iPhone 4's video compression, he ended up with 1.518 MB per second of compressed video. So if you want to store as much as 250 minutes of video on your iPhone 4, say 50 five-minute clips, he calculates it will take 21.73 GB (1518.75 KB/sec compressed * 250 min * 60 s / min * 1 MB / 1024 KB * 1GB / 1024 MB)

Bottom line: unless you want to take four hours of HD video on one go on your phone, or carry that much around in your pocket, you'll probably be fine with the 16GB model. However, if you're taking a bunch of videos, and carry a lot of music, sideload a bunch of apps and have a whole library of books, 32GB might be a reasonable decision. At least, that's what I just talked myself into...

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

converym (06-13-2010), Gustavo Saliola (06-14-2010), iRoach74 (06-13-2010), k.nitsua (06-13-2010), SirTimothy1 (06-13-2010), Wilbourn (06-13-2010)

Thanks
    Thanks for that. Gonna be a tough decision.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

id go with 16gb i got ipod touch forcall my storing needs which is just music

Green Apple
    Thanks

i think it is stupid there is no 64 gig model an ipod touch that thin can house it then they could have engineered it into this model.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

grrrr where is the 64 version?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

iPhone3G[S] (06-14-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone CMOSlabs's Avatar
    Thanks

Going for the 32g. Always running out of space on all of my computers and gadgets, usb sticks, etc. Still looking for the ram upgrade for my brain

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,222 Posts

Grr where is the 256GB solid state version?

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

1PM@N!O (06-13-2010), eaglesteve (06-14-2010), eZStaR (06-13-2010), iRoach74 (06-13-2010), youngyoshi (06-15-2010)

Thanks

"At least, that's what I just talked myself into..." Lol. I have a 16GB 3GS and I rarely go over 4GB. I'm getting the 32GB this time to store some movies on it. I figured the screen will be awesome to watch movies on.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    Exactly! That and a bigger/better battery were probably my two most hoped for changes to the 4.

Hmm, is there anyway we could bluetooth connect our old 3gs' to the 4 to act as a wireless external harddrive? THat way we can just keep it in our back, briefcase, cupholder, etc. and have additional space for media. Just popped into my head, haven't really thought all that in depth about it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Matthews View Post
    Well for all intents and purposes, it is the solid state version. It's just missing that extra 224gb :P
    Last edited by mortopher; 06-13-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

StealthBravo Posts: 14,682

That will next years model. Isn't that the apple way.

Thanks

I second this. My music library is already too big for my 32GB 3GS as it is, you think they could have bumped up the storage for the iPhone 4, hopefully the bigger battery will make up for the shortcomings of the hard drive space.

iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Thanks

iP4 is probably so crammed that there isn't room. The chip makers are making strides in nanometer memory cells, so maybe next year.

Thanks

when we've got mobile devices packing that much memory, i'll gladly ditch my laptop

Thanks

I agree with you guys...I have had enough grief with space and having to uninstall apps or remove some music just to make room and not run out of memory...Going with 32GB...wish there was already a larger capacity

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thats why i love this site i was wondering where to order my phone and if i should get 16 or 32 now both wuestions are resolved thanks guys

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CMOSlabs View Post
    Going for the 32g. Always running out of space on all of my computers and gadgets, usb sticks, etc. Still looking for the ram upgrade for my brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Luppin View Post
    I second this. My music library is already too big for my 32GB 3GS as it is, you think they could have bumped up the storage for the iPhone 4, hopefully the bigger battery will make up for the shortcomings of the hard drive space.

I agree with you guys...I have had enough grief with space and having to uninstall apps or remove some music just to make room and not run out of memory...Going with 32GB...wish there was already a larger capacity

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm planning on getting a GPS app for the iPhone 4 (as I'm sure many people upgrading from a 3G will), does anyone know what the average size is for one of the GPS Apps?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post
    I'm planning on getting a GPS app for the iPhone 4 (as I'm sure many people upgrading from a 3G will), does anyone know what the average size is for one of the GPS Apps?
    It depends on the GPS app but it is usually over 1gb to about 3 or 4, but what do we know maybe, just maybe apple will include turn by turn navigation in iPhone 4 .... too much to ask i guess...

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I have 4.34 GB free on my 3GS 16GB with 5.74 GB being used for music, 235.8 MB for photos,3.45 GB apps and 552.8 MB in other. So I think I will be safe having a 16GB iPhone 4 or should I save a bit longer and get the 32GB?

Help Please!!!
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

That depends on where you are and if you either get for just your country or for your region...average size for a single country is around 360MB hope that helps

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast