+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How Big Are iPhone 4 Photos and Video?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Kyle Matthews Grr where is the 256GB solid state version? Well played. But guys, there are many variables you have to consider, not EVERYONE have a thousand
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Matthews View Post
    Grr where is the 256GB solid state version?
    Well played.

But guys, there are many variables you have to consider, not EVERYONE have a thousand songs on their ipod, I personally have max of 400-500 [2.5-3 gb], and time to time I have 2-3 movies [1.5 GB] with 150 apps [7.8 GB] approx. That still leaves me about 2.5-4 GB free out of 16 on my itouch. [I can always take out apps to save space, not like Im using all the apps every day] I would say those remaining bits of memory should suffice for 720p video/pictures. You can always convert the 2.7 mb pictures to less memory and still retain most of the quality using a photography software.
    Last edited by eZStaR; 06-13-2010 at 01:09 PM.

-Win7 Ultimate Retail Dualboot with Mac OSX 10.5.8 On PC, Core 2 Duo, 4GBRam, 300GB Drive, 500GB External, Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rpgpromaster View Post
    Well I have 4.34 GB free on my 3GS 16GB with 5.74 GB being used for music, 235.8 MB for photos,3.45 GB apps and 552.8 MB in other. So I think I will be safe having a 16GB iPhone 4 or should I save a bit longer and get the 32GB?

Help Please!!!

As far as the iphone 4 and apps, music, video, pics etc is concerned, I truly believe that size does count...don't even give it a second thought...get the 32GB if you can...

Thanks
    there should be a 64 gb model. maybe apple saved it for the christmas

Thanks

LOL, so want a 64gb version, also heard they are releasing a chiken nugget case too, lol.

iPhone? More like MyPhone brotherbond007's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a 32G 3GS, I always have 14-19Gs left to play with and I shoot a lot of pic and vids. Will be going back to the 16G.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'll be happy when we have like a 300GB iPhone(:

Thanks

I'm probably getting the 16GB and keeping my 32GB touch for some movies
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I, for one, am happy they increased the battery size rather than added more room. Those recording times seem about right. I get about 3 hours of 720p 60fps on my Kodak PlaySport, so it stands to reason 30fps would be somewhat less.

Quote Originally Posted by tgabriel123 View Post
    I'll be happy when we have like a 300GB iPhone(:
    By the time that happens you won't be happy because media files will grow with the rend as well.

Quote Originally Posted by adeel akmal View Post
    there should be a 64 gb model. maybe apple saved it for the christmas
    I doubt they want to repeat what happened with the first iPhone again... too much of a hassle dealing with disgruntled customers.

Quote Originally Posted by iLaw-One View Post
    That depends on where you are and if you either get for just your country or for your region...average size for a single country is around 360MB hope that helps
    For those in the US, you are looking at more like 1.5 gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by rpgpromaster View Post
    Well I have 4.34 GB free on my 3GS 16GB with 5.74 GB being used for music, 235.8 MB for photos,3.45 GB apps and 552.8 MB in other. So I think I will be safe having a 16GB iPhone 4 or should I save a bit longer and get the 32GB?

Help Please!!!
    I's a little hard to give you help on this. Only YOU truly know what you would use it for. I plan on using it semi-frequently as a supplemental vlogging camera, so I know the additional space is going to be worth it for me. If you don't plan on shooting videos, I wouldn't bother bumping it to 32 gigs.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 06-13-2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

After going back and watching the keynote, it appears that Apple is using real 720p HD (16:9 1280x720p vs the 4:3 I assumed at first). I have updated the page with the following calculations:

iPhone 4 video size for 250 mins if true 720p (1280 x 720):

( [1280 x 720 x 24] / 8 ) / 1024 = 2700 KB / frame

2700 KB/frame x 30 frames/sec = 81000 KB/sec

81000 KB/sec / 40 compression ratio = 2025 KB/s compressed

2025 KB/sec compressed * 250 min * 60 s / min * 1 MB / 1024 KB * 1GB / 1024 MB = 28.97 GB (For 1 min: 118 MB )

Thanks

Why are people surprised that there is not a 64Gb version? AFAIK no one makes a 64K memory chip - do you guys know something I don't?

As for the file size, since when has video been stored as a series of stills rather than just the changes between each frame?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post
    I'm planning on getting a GPS app for the iPhone 4 (as I'm sure many people upgrading from a 3G will), does anyone know what the average size is for one of the GPS Apps?
    I have both Navigon and TomTom and they both come at around 1.5 Gb each in size. But you can SSH into the app and delete the maps of the states you don't need - which takes it down to about 300Mb. Still think Navigon is superior and I'll probably delete TomTom when I get low on space.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Green Apple
    Thanks

common apple where is the 64 gb version.... or give us at least a micro sd slot.. wtf??

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Personally I don't see the point in going for the 16gb version - as you can never have too much storage space.

I bought the iPhone 2G in 8gb, and changed to the 16gb one as soon as it came out as I didn't have enough space. Hopefully there will be a 64gb version eventually, and I can swap my 32gb one for a 64gb one!

Better having too much than too little - especially as the price difference isn't that much.

Thanks

Now that you have decided 16GB or 32GB what about the colour, White or black????

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Matthews View Post
    Grr where is the 256GB solid state version?
    That would be a great phone but knowing Apple. It would most likely cost like $3000 lol. We all know they love their high priced products.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

How many times as the 64GB question been answered....does the iPod Touch not have 2x32GB chips....and no phone, gps, compass, camera etc chips. The iPod Touch probably has a smaller (physically) battery too cos it doesnt need to use as much power, the iPhone 4 has an even larger battery now than 3GS. Bottom line, there doesn't exist a single chip 64GB, so there is no room for two 32GB chips in the iPhone using it's current design.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

16gb for me. I don't see myself storing my self shot videos on the phone itself. I have an HD recorder already.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Well if Apple gets the Cloud working there is no need for more memory. All your songs, movies, and apps will be in the clouds for you to grab, as long as you have wifi. Or until we get 4G

Green Apple
    Thanks

32gb black for me

i always buy the highend, is it really that worth to save $100? I pay more than that for my plan monthly! Also the resale value will be higher

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by p3eps View Post
    Personally I don't see the point in going for the 16gb version - as you can never have too much storage space.
    Heh, well I think the point is to save $100.

For me this comes down to movies. Now that I have an iPad it's hard to imagine watching any movies on the iPhone. Without the iPad, I'd definitely be buying the 32GB version.

Regarding music: I have about 70GB of music, so I use smart playlists to make sure I don't waste space with music that I'll never listen to. I can get that down to a few gigs and that's really more than enough for me (and I only sync every few weeks).

Photos aren't an issue. I have over a thousand on my 3GS, but that's only 1.5GB or so.

720p video is something I've thought about. This is the maine feature I want in the iPhone 4, but my pattern is to take dozens of 1-2 minute clips of my kids. That's all I need and it'll never add up to more than a few gigs. I don't anticipate ever needing it for anything longer than 10 minutes or so.

Honestly, I have a 32GB 3GS but I'm seriously thinking about downgrading to a 16GB iPhone 4.