Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Competitors, Experts Weigh in on Retina Display

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought the reason apple didn't go with the amoled screens was due to lack of quantity.... Not hiked prices.

Quote Originally Posted by GellBrake'rrrr View Post
    I thought the reason apple didn't go with the amoled screens was due to lack of quantity.... Not hiked prices.
    I'd bet more to do with price. There is no way the retna display is as good as OLED. We all know that. Battery life will be the biggest downfall because, OLED are extremely energy efficient. However I don't think any of us will care.

After all doesn't everyone have a charger in their office, car, home already. Battery life has never been an issue for me with the iphone and given the marginal increase in resolution versus the price hike. I think apple made the right choice.

Samsung??? They still make phones?

Thanks

my a/v guru told me never buy a samsung blu-ray player.

lol.

just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by porshh951 View Post
    I'd bet more to do with price
    I think you would lose that bet.

Samsung simply can't produce the AMOLED displays in the quantities necessary for the iPhone.

It will be interesting to see actual comarisons once the iPhone 4 is released.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

No you have to hold it 18 inches away to not see any pixels! Gosh!

They're digging way too far to create drama an controversy, lol.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't care if the screen can be scratched or if steve jobs is exaggerating because Im getting the iPhone 4 no matter!!
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Can't wait for new iphone, or what it is capable of. I recently installed and jailbroke the iOS GM release on my itouch, and it's already capable of doing for than any Android phone LOL.

-Win7 Ultimate Retail Dualboot with Mac OSX 10.5.8 On PC, Core 2 Duo, 4GBRam, 300GB Drive, 500GB External, Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

Quote Originally Posted by Dayvidpriddy View Post
    Uhm the glass has always been "scratch resistant." On my 2G phone (before I trashed it) I had to take a sharp screw and dig, dig and dig before I could get it to scratch the screen. This is nothing new. There is no need to put any kind of screen protector on the screens, you are just adding junk to the phone that is not needed, not to mention putting cash in those accessory companies pockets like Zagg...those screen protectors are total junk, are a pain to put on not to mention having water all over your display, inside the button, headphone jack, etc...it's absolute garbage and you all are making these rip off companies richer by the day. Zagg is the biggest, pimped out company out of them all, it's nothing but over rated junk where you think you need it. You don't need it!
    A grain of sand scratched my old iPod touch 2g glass less than a month after owning it. After that I have always used screen protectors.

Just like everything else in the world you must follow Meyer's law to scratch resistance. Anything harder than glass will scratch the screen just like the grain of sand scratched mine. I bet if you took a diamond and put it on you screen instead of a softo screw it wuld have scratched very quickly.

My big gripe just like any other touch screen is finger prints. So I will be looking for a front and back matte protector but so far it looks like my new iPhone 4 will have to go naked for awhile until I find a set of matte screen protectors for it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by brokentwice View Post
    There will always be haters no matter what ..

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by porshh951 View Post
    I'd bet more to do with price. There is no way the retna display is as good as OLED. We all know that. Battery life will be the biggest downfall because, OLED are extremely energy efficient. However I don't think any of us will care.

After all doesn't everyone have a charger in their office, car, home already. Battery life has never been an issue for me with the iphone and given the marginal increase in resolution versus the price hike. I think apple made the right choice.
    The new phone has a bigger battery so just imagine the life once the amoleds are pushed out

the screen is so small, it is a waste...

Thanks
    Thank you! I keep looking at my 3Gs going... I don't get it... this is beautiful! Make it 4 times better (That's what the new one is right?) And I'm in! Either way, people are going to love love LOVE this device and there will ALWAYS be someone throwing a gauntlet about how something was exaggerated or embellished and hating on it! 6/24/2010 here I come!

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I think you would lose that bet.

Samsung simply can't produce the AMOLED displays in the quantities necessary for the iPhone.

It will be interesting to see actual comarisons once the iPhone 4 is released.
    You bring up a good point. I'm sure that's a factor as well.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple should use AMOLED instead of LCD in there Retina Display next year but I doubt they will...

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Quote Originally Posted by sekazi View Post
    A grain of sand scratched my old iPod touch 2g glass less than a month after owning it. After that I have always used screen protectors.

Just like everything else in the world you must follow Meyer's law to scratch resistance. Anything harder than glass will scratch the screen just like the grain of sand scratched mine. I bet if you took a diamond and put it on you screen instead of a softo screw it wuld have scratched very quickly.

My big gripe just like any other touch screen is finger prints...
    i agree with you man. my 3g spent 7 months with me over in the middle-east and let me tell you guys, the iphone screen will scratch from daily use! the back is all scratched to hell and the screen has a couple good scratches that are noticeable and a lot of small ones that you can see w/ the screen off and looking at an angle (and no, i never took a screw to it, lol). and that is why i'm upgrading! well that and it's definitely time for an upgrade from the 3g!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j.castellon View Post
    interesting, the iphone display is beautiful as it is.
    i have to see the glory of this retina display
    Yeah, that's so true. I can definitely tell even from videos that it is good. I can't wait to have it in my hands and see it for myself with my own eyes.

btw, there are a few reasons that apple isnt going with AMOLED screens yet.

1) they're expensive because nobody is mass producing them yet.
    2) there's still problems with them because they are so new.

and they're not all that much better on battery than what apple has currently. look at any review and ask anyone w/ a droid, evo, or incredible...they're battery life is GARBAGE too! w/ the bigger battery in the iphone 4 i'm sure the screen that apple used will be just fine and we all know that they usually make a pretty good product so i dont think we'll be all that disappointed. i for one cant wait to see it in action!

Quote Originally Posted by Dayvidpriddy View Post
    ......Uhm the glass has always been "scratch resistant."...... There is no need to put any kind of screen protector on the screens, you are just adding junk to the phone that is not needed, not to mention putting cash in those accessory companies pockets like Zagg...those screen protectors are total junk, are a pain to put on not to mention having water all over your display, inside the button, headphone jack, etc...it's absolute garbage and you all are making these rip off companies richer by the day. Zagg is the biggest, pimped out company out of them all, it's nothing but over rated junk where you think you need it. You don't need it!
    Wow what an arrogant post. Of course your opinion is yours and I won't discount that but what makes you make blanket statements that don't apply to every one? I love my IS, had no problem putting it on, and managed not to be a spaz and kept the phone nice and dry. My original iPhone's screen scratched in my backpack with my keys.

Quote Originally Posted by pauldanielash View Post
    Apple announced the Retina Display on the new iPhone 4 with much fanfare, calling it "the sharpest, most vibrant, highest-resolution phone screen ever."

Well that much isn't true. LG had an asian market phone, the LG-LU1400, that was 333 PPI, making it the winner of that competition. Note that LG is making the screen for this phone as well, so you can't really argue that Apple is using a "higher quality" part either.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast