Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Could Yank YouTube from Apple Over Skirmish

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Google Could Yank YouTube from Apple Over Skirmish

If you thought the imbroglio between Apple and Adobe was heated, perhaps the brewing tension between Apple and Google will make the Adobe quarrel look like a lover's spat. Unlike the bedrock of rumors that often drive the tech blogosphere, what we know about Google is concrete - the search engine giant isn't taking kindly to being effectively locked-out of Apple's new iAds platform.

When the first generation iPhone was introduced, Apple and Google had an enormously positive relationship. After all, one of the coolest attributes of this new thing called the iPhone in 2007 was the YouTube app, which came about as a result of close ties between the two companies and their chief executives. But that was the past. And the present is pointing to a turn for the worse between these former "friends." Who's to blame? In this case, Apple has clearly irked it's old chum by rolling out the very ambitious iAd platform that officially commences July 1st with better than $60 million in major advertising commitments already in place. According to Steve Jobs, iAds may capture nearly half of the entire mobile advertising market share by the end of 2010.

Google's anger, of course, is the product of being shut out of iAds. More specifically, Apple is excluding AdMob, the biggest mobile advertising firm in the world, and the biggest acquisition (by Google) observed in the mobile ad space to date. While Steve Jobs says Apple isn't seeking to be anti-competitive, regulators disagree and plan to investigate Apple’s clear anti-Google posturing. Ultimately, however, regulators may not be able to punish Apple as badly as Google could.

There is rampant talk that Google could cut off Apple and its myriad products from YouTube, delivering a massive contact blow to the runaway success of Apple's mobile devices that, quiet frankly, now seem ingrained as going hand-in-hand with YouTube. But will Google actually go through with it or some other form of payback? Unless Apple changes its restrictive policies in a hurry, there's an excellent possibility that Google won't go quietly into the night.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Freerunnering (06-10-2010)

That would suck. So bad. I might actually have to consider andro**, ah who am I kidding.
    The gates in my computer are AND, OR and NOT; they are not Bill.

Iphone 3G, Ultrasn0w'ed using T-Mobile UK on a G1 Contract, 800 mins, Unlimited texting and unlimited internet! <--1337

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't foresee this simply because I think it would be a childish move on Google's part.

"I am going to take back my toys if you don't share." - seems kind of stupid. I suspect they will let the courts decide. What is Apple's reasoning for blocking AdMob anyway?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

That would blow! I use youtube all the time.

Default Nothing to fear
    It's at least naive to think that Apple would make 2 of it's native apps based in google services as a major function in 2 of their prominent products without a contract tie that guarantees that those services will remain as it is, or maybe have some kind of backup plan for when this contractual tie expires.

There's nothing to fear there, IMHO.

Not to start a flame war, but I did. I got sick of Apple and I got an Evo 4g and I couldn't be happier. I feel even better about my decision after seeing the iPhone 4

iPhone/iPad without Flash and YouTube.....better get here quick H264Tube.com

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It's a douche move by Apple to try and force devs to use only iAds. Atleast if Google yanked the YouTube app we'd still have YouTube access using Safari on iDevices....oh wait...there's no flash support either

I agree with Fishbone, there's definitely contracts in place regarding YouTube and Google Maps so not to worry.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
    Thanks

Are you guys stupid? You can watch YouTube in Safari. Don't need flash to view YouTube on iPhones.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    It's a douche move by Apple to try and force devs to use only iAds. Atleast if Google yanked the YouTube app we'd still have YouTube access using Safari on iDevices....oh wait...there's no flash support either

I agree with Fishbone, there's definitely contracts in place regarding YouTube and Google Maps so not to worry.

Actually, there's a mobile YouTube site which you can access with your iPhone using Safari....
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Thanks

I like youtube.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

I actually never use YouTube.....at all. Would much rather watch tosh.0 for my Internet clips!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to iLoveWindows&iPhone For This Useful Post:

mortopher (06-10-2010)

Honestly, it's Google, if they truly really wanted to I think they could yank YouTube, Maps, and anything else they made from the iPhone. They hacked back China didn't they?

But, Google isn't that kind of company, Google (who's motto is "Don't Be Evil") wouldn't want do anything like that because then people would find alternatives to using YouTube/Maps on the iPhone. Which could result in users switching from YouTube/Maps to other video sharing sites or map sites (Ex: Metacafe, Bing Maps). I highly doubt a lot of people would switch to Android only because of YouTube (besides me).

Now ask yourself this question: Why would Google want to cut support on one of the most used mobile operating systems in the world? They wouldn't.

Remember, Google can still display ads on webpages in Safari, or any other browser.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

That would suck. I can see Apple blocking out AdMob from apps as at the end of the day it is their iPhone.

Also even if there is a contract, there's always something along the lines that says "Google has the rights to withdraw YouTube and Maps whenever they choose or for any reason...etc" in the small print.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DayumQuitPlayin View Post
    Are you guys stupid? You can watch YouTube in Safari. Don't need flash to view YouTube on iPhones.
    Not all videos load up with the html5 player therefore online is not a proper solution.

Nothing will change, except that google will have to advertise thru YouTube like it does and that's it..
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Thumbs down Retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by DayumQuitPlayin View Post
    I now officially pronounce you RETARDED.

This is a foolish move on Apples part. They are trying way too hard to compete with Google in this market when they don't need to. Some would use iAd some would use AdMob. Competition is healthy but apple doesn't want to compete. They just want it to be their way or no way. If any of you agreed with Apple's policies you wouldn't jailbreak your phone. Apple plain and simple doesn't want to compete with Google, why not?? It's make for better products for the consumers. I hope that Google doesn't yank YouTube but I would not be mad if they did. Steve loves to show off youtube and Maps at every event. It won't happen but it may be enough of a threat to Apple with this and the FCC investigation to push apple into letting up a little. They obviously feel that Google is a threat because they let Adobe's ad service use iAd.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Now that would suck

lol. pwnt.

I think Google should stop taking the high road and actually stick it to them for once. Apple's not anti-competition, just anti-google. Given the events of the past 4-5 months, I think the tech crowd would look the other way if Google decided to play a little hardball for once.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast