+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Could Yank YouTube from Apple Over Skirmish

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by redcard Rampant talk where? Amongst 12 year olds on blogs. Post me a link to where someone respectable, and with insight into how these two companies operates,
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    Rampant talk where? Amongst 12 year olds on blogs. Post me a link to where someone respectable, and with insight into how these two companies operates, has even suggested this is a possibility.

These are multi-billion dollar companies, not 12 year old school kids.
    Well, you do understand that Messany is Italian for rumor, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajblue7 View Post
    they wanted to provide better advertising for its users that doesn't involve quitting the app and launching in safari. also, making it easier for developers to have ads and make more quality apps free. Also this prevents google from getting to much power, google should be thanking iAds because without them google would have never got the green light to acquire admob. google is probably the most unoriginal company in the world. Every product they made is copies of others. the only creative thing you can credit them with is their ad system, the main money maker of google. Their ads are so good because they provide your with links to related sponsered sites. even andriod is pretty much a ripoff of apple, just opensource.

sad part is they have people working for them that are really smart, but smart people aren't the most creative people in the world ya know
    Better advertising is why? Hardly. They wanted money, and more of it.

Have you ever actually looked at the full product list that Google offers? They do provide more than just youtube and gmail. When looking at their products and services, it's rather tough to claim they just copies off of others any more than every other company tries to improve upon their competitors products/services.
    Last edited by mortopher; 06-10-2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DayumQuitPlayin View Post
    Are you guys stupid? You can watch YouTube in Safari. Don't need flash to view YouTube on iPhones.
    I believe it's because it's redirected into the actual YouTube App.

Never the less, it's all because of the h.264 codec. Youtube used to be all flash based, but after the iPhone/Pod they basically decided to convert all their video's into h.264, which is why some of the videos (by some I mean the older videos) still don't play.

They could easily cripple all video streaming by removing h.264 support and go onto something else.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

mobile ads is a huge market. google wants in and if apple is in its way. google will run over apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Apple has every right to block Google's ads on its platform, just as Google has every right to disallow Aids on Android. I really don't see what the problem is here.
    Last edited by cypherpunk; 06-10-2010 at 04:35 PM.

Thanks

google made droid to compete with the iPhone. no complaining from steve. so steve made his own ads, iAd. and now google is crying. get over it.

and everyone that comes here to announce that they're "glad they got the evo instead of the iPhone4"....lemme ask you this, how can you compare them when you havent even had an iPhone4 in your hands?
    Blah Blah and Blah

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itmustbejj View Post
    Not to start a flame war, but I did. I got sick of Apple and I got an Evo 4g and I couldn't be happier. I feel even better about my decision after seeing the iPhone 4

iPhone/iPad without Flash and YouTube.....better get here quick H264Tube.com

I did the same thing and I am not looking back!

iPhone? More like MyPhone ForumSnoBorderRK's Avatar
    Thanks

haha whoa!!!! what if google completely blocks all youtube videos from being watched on an iOS platform....
    that is truly what one can call "PAYBACK".

even though I have an iPhone and that would be MISERABLE,
    i would completely agree with google's decision. thats just straight up LAME.
    -[r]
    if you can, please [thank] me if i helped you or you liked what i said! :]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't remember Steve saying Admob wasn't going to be allowed just that they created iAd and it is better. Personally I can't stand Admob. It pops up in some apps and covers controls etc. and if you accidentally tap them they quit your app and run the browser to go to the ad page.

Also one other person mentioned that if Apple hadn't created iAd, Google wouldn't have been allowed to acquire admob.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jvallesteros View Post
    google made droid to compete with the iPhone. no complaining from steve. so steve made his own ads, iAd. and now google is crying. get over it.

and everyone that comes here to announce that they're "glad they got the evo instead of the iPhone4"....lemme ask you this, how can you compare them when you havent even had an iPhone4 in your hands?
    Not much to compare. The iPhone hasn't really changed at all. First iPhone started with 4gb then 8, 16, and finally 32. Second iPhone, added 3G support and made into plastic. iPhone 3GS, .... Made slightly slimmer and a little bit faster. iPhone 4 made of glass, has a front camera so you can video chat within wifi range. Better display. A little faster.

The evo is like the whole package plus its 4g ready. It's kinda investing for the future.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Here is the questionable bit.

3.3.9 You and Your Applications may not collect, use, or disclose to any third party, user or device data without prior user consent, and then only under the following conditions:

- The collection, use or disclosure is necessary in order to provide a service or function that is directly relevant to the use of the Application. For example, without Apple’s prior written consent, You may not use third party analytics software in Your Application to collect and send device data to a third party for aggregation, processing, or analysis.

- The collection, use or disclosure is for the purpose of serving advertising to Your Application; is provided to an independent advertising service provider whose primary business is serving mobile ads (for example, an advertising service provider owned by or affiliated with a developer or distributor of mobile devices, mobile operating systems or development environments other than Apple would not qualify as independent); and the disclosure is limited to UDID, user location data, and other data specifically designated by Apple as available for advertising purposes.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Never watched youtube or used maps anyway, and even if google was dumb enough to do that, don't you think Apple would make something jus as good if not better, and have all the iphone, ipod, ipad, and mac users using it??

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluprint View Post
    The evo is like the whole package plus its 4g ready. It's kinda investing for the future.
    Except for the whole hardware fragmentation. I like Android. I really, really do but having 15-20 phones running 5-6 vastly different firmwares has to be a nightmare for developers. It's strength (variety) is its biggest weakness.

6 months from now the EVO will be forgotten by whatever new Android hotness is released, it'll be called an iPhone killer, underperform in sales like every other Android phones, then next summer the next iPhone will blow whatever "competition" exists. Then the cycle repeats itself.

With the iPhone, its weakness is its strength. The iPhone remains essentially unchanged. Apps developed for it work on the majority* of iPhones, iPods, and iPads. You don't have to worry about a dozen different UIs or radically different hardware.

As far as this Google/Apple war, nothing will come out of this. Youtube is an open behemoth and iPhones are a large chunk of the mobile market. Google is not just going to cut that from their revenue.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluprint View Post
    The Sprint 4G coverage sorta sucks. and isnt sprint cdma? does that mean you can't use voice and data at the same time? also, being the first 4g network and being the first 4g device doesnt necessarily mean its the best. i'd rather wait for a network and company to fully perfect, or close to perfection, 4g technology. just my opinion.
    Blah Blah and Blah

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jvallesteros View Post
    The Sprint 4G coverage sorta sucks. and isnt sprint cdma? does that mean you can't use voice and data at the same time? also, being the first 4g network and being the first 4g device doesnt necessarily mean its the best. i'd rather wait for a network and company to fully perfect, or close to perfection, 4g technology. just my opinion.
    Sorta?

Sprint-Welcome

It's like 40 cities (in 13 states) nationwide and like 12 of those are in Texas. If you're getting an EVO, chances are it's NOT for the 4G. And it's not really "4G", its WiMAX or something like that. The speeds are fast as hell, but it's not the same "4G" Verizon and AT&T will begin rolling in a year or two.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

It would be a brutal blow to both companies

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    For those of you who say I can just use safari for youtube...one word...hulu. google can block idevices from accessing youtube...but they won't.

Android releases are getting synced better and fragmentation will decrease. As an iphone convert I LOVE android. Iphone jailbreakers work so hard to create a platform that already exists natively on android. I got tired of apple serving their interests and not mine so I'm done. Its my device let me do what I want with it.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy;5282827
    6 months from now the EVO will be forgotten by whatever new Android hotness is released, it'll be called an iPhone killer, underperform in sales like every other Android phones, then next summer the next iPhone will blow whatever "competition" exists. Then the cycle repeats itself.
    [B
    [/B]
    ummmmmmm no...

"The ever-hot battle between the iPhone and Android took another unexpected turn this week, with analytics firm Flurry revealing it believes Motorola's Droid handset sold its first one million units quicker than the iPhone."

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itmustbejj View Post
    Not to start a flame war, but I did. I got sick of Apple and I got an Evo 4g and I couldn't be happier. I feel even better about my decision after seeing the iPhone 4

iPhone/iPad without Flash and YouTube.....better get here quick H264Tube.com
    Same here only I got a nexus one and I'm loving it. It does everything the iPhone does and I also get 3G on T-Mobiles network.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Google would never have been allowed to purchase Admob if it weren't for Apple rolling out iAD. So this is another serious rumor mill water cooler drama scene. Besides, it would not be a big loss if you couldn't youtube on the iPhone. Most of them look like crap anyways.

Thanks

Couple of things:

1. The "underperform" part of my post specifically referred to the nexus one. Thanks for proving my point :P

2. Are these US only sales? (with what Im assuming are AT&T iPhone sales vs. Verizon Droid sales?) in which case I concede the point on a nationwide level. But look at global sales and the picture changes dramatically. Hell, i'd say look at platform (iOS vs Android) but there's simply no way to compare a phone OS against an OS found on a media player and a tablet.

3. It will take time to get good solid numbers but there is no way you're going to see figures like that from the EVO while it's on Sprint. Which is sad because the EVO is one of the sexiest pieces of technology ever.

I just realized that chart is about the Droid vs the FIRST GEN iPhone.

That's like comparing the 3G against the G1.

And if you can't be bothered to look it up. The 3G sold 1 million units worldwide DURING ITS LAUNCH WEEKEND. 3 days.
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 06-10-2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost