Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: O2 Announces iPhone 4 Early Upgrade Plan

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default O2 Announces iPhone 4 Early Upgrade Plan

Even though UK pricing hasn't been announced for the iPhone, O2 has followed AT&T in the US by cutting a deal for current customers who want to upgrade. The carrier is announcing a sort of grace period where customers can upgrade after paying a fee for each month remaining on their contract. The normal 14-day "change of mind" guarantee does not apply with this offer.

For the first month the iPhone 4 is available from O2 - starting June 24th and continuing through July 24th - the offer will allow current customers get out of their contracts by paying 20 for each month remaining. There is a separate arrangement for "Priority List" customers, who don't have the option to pay down contracts: "Platinum" customers can upgrade 6 months early, while "Silver" and "Blue" customers get moved up a whole month.

O2 customers can also get an upgrade by switching to a pay-as-you-go contract, but they'll have to pay off the rest of their contracts in full. There's an early upgrade calculator on the O2 website for anyone having trouble figuring out what in this complicated scheme they're eligible for. Expect Vodafone, Orange and T-Mobile to offer their own upgrade deals, possibly with incentives for switchers. Must be nice to have actual competition...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Amraam (06-10-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

20 per month? Ouch.

My contract on o2 runs out in september awesome im gonna pay the extra cash cant wait.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 06-09-2010 at 07:14 PM.

There are theories that you can forego paying this monthly escape fee by dropping down to a cheaper tariff each month (once past the 9th month of your contract) until you are on non iPhone 10/month tariff and can thence drop out altogether.

This is clearly far from ideal and is obviously a loophole that has yet to be plugged. Best bet for 3gs owners is to recycle your phone using the o2 scheme and get 270 for it.

As long as you don't have 22 months remaining you should be not much worse for wear.

Apologies for double post, can't edit for some reason.

Was going to moan and draw comparisons between AT&T and o2 but just saw this article which has made me rethink switching from o2 to other provider : O2 upgrades London network to meet iPhone demand | telecoms.com - telecoms industry news, analysis and opinion

o2 reception is rubbish in central London but maybe they are fixing that...
    Last edited by sunbeam83; 06-09-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

So I pay 20 per month left, then how much would I have to pay for iPhone 4?

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Zak View Post
    So I pay 20 per month left, then how much would I have to pay for iPhone 4?
    The price for it hasent been released yet but i thik it will be 18 month contract 50 a month tariff and 99 for the 16GB version.

Thanks

Any ideas about pay as you go ?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    20 per month? Ouch.
    Yes, but you can easily recoup this cost by selling on your iPhone 3GS (hint, eBay, not the o2 recycle scheme).

You would cover nearly all the cost of terminating early and the cost of the new phone providing you had less than 1 year remaining on the contract.

iPhone? More like MyPhone newyork0900's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iphone pay as you go (simplicity) on O2
    I also need to know how much and if it is possible to buy the iphone 4 on pay as you go (simplicity on O2). I am currently on the iphone simplicity tariff 20 per month.

Does anybody know or has any ideas?

I found this on O2's website:

"Pay & Go customers upgrading to iPhone 4

If you're already on Pay & Go with O2 and buying the iPhone 4, you'll need to transfer your existing O2 number, balance and tariff onto a new micro sim. We'll have some more information on how to do this soon"

Not much, but it does show we can buy it. My guess is that it will cost about 450 for the 16gb and 550 for the 32gb
    Last edited by newyork0900; 06-10-2010 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

Yi know... if this was an article on AT&T, we would all be at each others necks, fightin n ****!

Jus sayin....

:-)

iPhone? More like MyPhone zYxMa's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam83 View Post
    There are theories that you can forego paying this monthly escape fee by dropping down to a cheaper tariff each month (once past the 9th month of your contract) until you are on non iPhone 10/month tariff and can thence drop out altogether.

This is clearly far from ideal and is obviously a loophole that has yet to be plugged. Best bet for 3gs owners is to recycle your phone using the o2 scheme and get 270 for it.

As long as you don't have 22 months remaining you should be not much worse for wear.

Apologies for double post, can't edit for some reason.

Was going to moan and draw comparisons between AT&T and o2 but just saw this article which has made me rethink switching from o2 to other provider : O2 upgrades London network to meet iPhone demand | telecoms.com - telecoms industry news, analysis and opinion

o2 reception is rubbish in central London but maybe they are fixing that...
    Are you having a laugh? 270 for an iphone 3gs? Note that there is only 8GB 3GS version available now, so I will sell mine 32GB for much more than 270!!

BTW, I'm not on contract with o2 as o2 is rubbish with their reception... everywhere.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iMaC 74's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 203 Posts

we've paid for the iPhone all ready, and all the extra Apps, all upgrades to a new iPhone should be free

I actually reckon you can be up money at the end of this...

I have 12 months left of contract - so 240 early release fee. However, can sell existing iPhone 3GS easily for 240 (O2recyle at very least). On top of that, O2 Open scheme can give you 125 credit on new contracts.

O2 open is a scheme for people who work in places with O2 contract - gives employees up to six discounts per year so can use with friends and family. Usually a 75 credit but just checked and it's upgraded to 125 until end of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by zYxMa View Post
    Are you having a laugh? 270 for an iphone 3gs? Note that there is only 8GB 3GS version available now, so I will sell mine 32GB for much more than 270!!

BTW, I'm not on contract with o2 as o2 is rubbish with their reception... everywhere.
    oh really? where can you get much more than 270 for it out of interest?

Not true, look on o2's website. 16Gb and 32Gb are both still available; there never was an 8gb version. Unless of course you meant the 3G...

Thanks

oh really? where can you get much more than 270 for it out of interest?
    Officially unlocked by apple? Ebay for example :P

yesterday i was in o2 and they said if i take iphone 4 with monthly contract 45 i have to pay 150 for the iphone 4
    Last edited by wujek21; 06-10-2010 at 04:48 AM.

Officially unlocked by apple? Ebay for example :P
    yeah, but assuming you don't own and use an unboxed 32gb unlocked iphone 3gs with applecare and some magic beans?

o2 recycle seems like a good deal to me

204 for an iphone 3g 16gb is good too: http://www.phonerecyclebank.com/recy...-3g-16gb.html/
    Last edited by sunbeam83; 06-10-2010 at 05:53 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to sunbeam83 For This Useful Post:

Amraam (06-10-2010)

Thanks

yeah, but assuming you don't own and use an unboxed 32gb unlocked iphone 3gs with applecare and some magic beans?

o2 recycle seems like a good deal to me

204 for an iphone 3g 16gb is good too: Recycle Apple iPhone 3G 16GB - Trade In, Recycle and Sell Apple iPhone 3G 16GB for cash
    at the end of the day, who cares about the box being sealed? All people care about is an unlocked iPhone :P

but how do these recycle sites work? Do you have to send them a phone first? :>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast