+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Skype Walks Back 3G FaceTime Support

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
A quote from an anonymous source suggesting that Skype would implement FaceTime video calling was "clarified" by a company representative today. The spokesperson told Electronista that Skype wants to "see
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Skype Walks Back 3G FaceTime Support

A quote from an anonymous source suggesting that Skype would implement FaceTime video calling was "clarified" by a company representative today. The spokesperson told Electronista that Skype wants to "see how this process unfolds" but remains interested in bringing 3G video chat capabilities to its iPhone app, similar to the two-way video calling functionality in the Skype app for the Nokia N900 phone.

Stuart Miles had reported on his Pocket-lint blog about a conversation he'd had with an anonymous contact inside Skype who told him the company "would welcome the opportunity to work with Apple" on implementing FaceTime support inside its iPhone app. With Apple allowing only limited, WiFi-only usage of FaceTime natively under iOS 4, these comments raised hopes that Skype might build video calling into its iPhone app, which allows supporting (temporarily) free calls over 3G. Even stronger hints came from the anonymous source's further comment that it wanted to bring FaceTime calling "not only to our many millions of Skype users on iPhone around the world, but also to the countless more making video calls on desktops, TVs and other connected devices."

That enthusiasm got a big pail of cold water dumped on it by another Skype spokesperson, who confirmed the prior statements, but limited them by saying they only referred to Skype's desire to provide the "best possible experience" of video calling to Skype users. The "process" referred to Steve Jobs's plan - presented at the keynote address on Monday - to make FaceTime an open standard for video calling that could be supported by multiple devices and manufacturers. No timetable has yet been announced for a release of the FaceTime specification, which is built on existing standards like h.264, AAC, SIP, STUN, TURN, ICE, RTP, and SRTP.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Amraam (06-09-2010), CaryDude (06-09-2010), Freerunnering (06-09-2010), k.nitsua (06-09-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I guess for those who have 200MB or 2GB cant use facechat for long or else, your bill will explode by end of the month.

Thanks

Sorry i had been meaning to do that for a while, now thats out of my system.... i cant wait to get my hands on iPhone 4, younger bother lives in OZ and im looking forward to actually seeing him whilst on the phone... only problem is, now much is this all going to cost, is face time truly like Skype and free over wifi or am i going to have to wait until Skype takes advantage or face time standards????

Thanks

Im sure we will see Fring come out with the 2 way video chat before skype...I use fring right now to call my family on their pc with skype...I can see them but they cant see me...yet...

Thanks

this won't work over 3g, even facetime needs wifi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoqts View Post
    I guess for those who have 200MB or 2GB cant use facechat for long or else, your bill will explode by end of the month.
    no...facetime uses wifi only....this has nothing to do with the data package..

if you jailbreak tho, and dl the wifi un-restrictor via cydia repo, then you will be charged crazy amounts of money..

Thanks

I can't understand why facetime video chat would only work on wifi, when about 5years or so back, I could do video chat (only worked on 3G reception) on my Nokia N70 phone? This was on the 3 Network...So what's the wifi only crap, or did I miss something?

I guess it'll probably be an excuse for the service providers to now say it would hog their networks...when they really should have upgraded their infrastructure by now to cater for the increased demand!

I sometimes wonder if we're really moving forward technologically or certain entities are conent to keep fleecing customers for as long as possible with outdated technology!
    Last edited by iLaw-One; 06-09-2010 at 01:47 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLaw-One View Post
    I can't understand why facetime video chat would only work on wifi, when about 5years or so back, I could do video chat (only worked on 3G reception) on my Nokia N70 phone? This was on the 3 Network...So what's the wifi only crap, or did I miss something?
    Apple stated that it's Wi-Fi only for 2010, but they are working with the carriers to make sure their network can handle the load first. Yes, this could be taken as a shot at AT&T, (or any other carrier that has experienced any issues since adding the iPhone to their network) but it's just better to let them work the kinks out of the lines first before letting people run free with this.
    Who died and made you king?!

Game Center Username: bllewisii

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Harris.s.7 View Post
    Sorry i had been meaning to do that for a while, now thats out of my system.... i cant wait to get my hands on iPhone 4, younger bother lives in OZ and im looking forward to actually seeing him whilst on the phone... only problem is, now much is this all going to cost, is face time truly like Skype and free over wifi or am i going to have to wait until Skype takes advantage or face time standards????
    Your brother lives in Oz? I didn't know they had broadband there. Is the tower next to the poppy field, south of the Emerald Castle?

And I highly doubt the decision to make FaceTime exclusive to WiFi was Apple's choice. It was probably forced by AT&T, because of their stressed network.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

What's Jailbreak? Electrodaktylus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iLaw-One View Post

I guess it'll probably be an excuse for the service providers to now say it would hog their networks...when they really should have upgraded their infrastructure by now to cater for the increased demand!

I sometimes wonder if we're really moving forward technologically or certain entities are conent to keep fleecing customers for as long as possible with outdated technology!
    Exactly that, we are lagging behind in terms of technology due to some greedy companies who's only interest is to milk our wallets.

Viva la eRevoluti@n!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The only problem with the 3G Unrestrictor is skype knows when you download that your on a jailbroken device. Have you downloaded skype recently? I hope they can figure out a way around this. I would love to skype my girlfriend at home from work

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'm tired of hearing people say that apple is late and how video chat on a phone came 5 years ago. 5 years ago phones were pretty much crap. The video call quality was back then were crap. Yes apple didn't invent video chat on a mobile device. But they will make it better.

Another thing. Yea ipads are like an oversized itouch. Just like how a swimming pool is an oversized bath tub. Size does change things.

Thanks

I wonder how the likes of 3GUnrestrictor or my3G will work with FaceTime? Since it "doesn't need to be set up" one would think you could trick it just like any other wifi limited app?

Thanks

This whole thing is making me sick . All the whining about wanting to see your little brother aint gonna do ya no good! I'm sure you have a computer and he has one , just buy some cheap *** webcams and have at it .

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Fallguy For This Useful Post:

jcal08 (06-09-2010)

Thanks

i'd be more surprised if this didn't happen
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by globol View Post
    ]
    another thing. Yea ipads are like an oversized itouch. Just like how a swimming pool is an oversized bath tub. Size does change things.
    hahahahahahahahaa man you so are right.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davejonesokc View Post
    The only problem with the 3G Unrestrictor is skype knows when you download that your on a jailbroken device. Have you downloaded skype recently? I hope they can figure out a way around this. I would love to skype my girlfriend at home from work
    I had this same problem useing the MobiTV app. The way around it was to restore my 3GS to factory, install the app and activate the app's subscription, then jailbreak with Spirit. This worked great and it lets my take all the app updates.

Thanks

facetime is scaleable to 3g

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think at&t network doesnt suport video call throw there network.. The only way they servive is wifi....

iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't give up your unlimited data, for the future. Or will AT&T shaft us again...
    I digress; having used Skype video chat, the novelty wore off pretty quick. On the other hand, not being chained to a webcam might be the key.