+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New iOS Dev Terms Shut Out Google From Analytics?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default New iOS Dev Terms Shut Out Google From Analytics?

Many will recall the very self-serving decision by Apple earlier this spring to revise its iPhone OS - excuse me, iOS - developer agreement to effectively prohibit third parties from collecting user data and other analytics most advertisers consider to be vital. But now that's all changed - at least a little.

While Apple is no longer comprehensively closed off to other ad networks, the updated version of the developer agreement, which rolled out yesterday following the intro of the 4th generation iPhone, indicates a number of substantive barriers still exist.

As recently as last week's D8 conference, Apple chief Steve Jobs reiterated that the dev agreement and its restrictions were not meant to be anti-competitive. But the new agreement seems to convey a different message altogether, especially given that it appears to specifically target AdMob for exclusion while other "independent" third party data collectors can have a field day through this new window opened by Apple. AdMob, of course, is not only the biggest mobile advertising firm in the game, it's also the latest freshly acquired toy of Google's.

Because AdMob is an “advertising service provider owned by or affiliated with a developer or distributor of mobile devices," Apple can shut out Google from the data collect party because "mobile operating systems or development environments other than Apple would not qualify as independent.” The analysts who have weighed in on this language employed by Apple almost universally concur that it must have been written with Google clearly in mind for exclusion.

Apple is certainly far more ambitious about its iAd platform than most folks realize. Given its enormous push in Jobs' keynote at the kick-off of WWDC 2010, the venture officially commences July 1st with better than $60 million in major advertising commitments already in place. According to Steve Jobs, iAds may capture nearly half of the entire mobile advertising market share by the end of this year.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I wonder if Jobs will try to put iAd's on cydia apps...

iPhone? More like MyPhone b3nny's Avatar
    Thanks

i wonder what the FCC thinks of that verbage...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Jobs has NOTHING to do with Cydia...

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think he was just saying jobs' reach is insane!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Who remembers when it was cool to root for apple? Now, every time I think about it I get a sour taste in my mouth.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ownerofspam View Post
    I wonder if Jobs will try to put iAd's on cydia apps...
    lol, he wishes
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

My apple is turning sour.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

At first I thought iAds sounded pretty lame, but I figure if were going to get interactive ads taking the place of being charged for an app, i'm warming up to that. If thats the case anyway. Especially if the ads are as cool as they look so far. There's nothing more annoying then lame looking ads infringing on my screen space after I play a word on words with friends free.
    I think I win for the most lame avatar

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkeagle1 View Post
    At first I thought iAds sounded pretty lame, but I figure if were going to get interactive ads taking the place of being charged for an app, i'm warming up to that. If thats the case anyway. Especially if the ads are as cool as they look so far. There's nothing more annoying then lame looking ads infringing on my screen space after I play a word on words with friends free.
    The most troublesome thing about iAds for me is the potential for them to use more data than the average user is willing to give up. If all new contracts will be data limited, that can be a big thing for some users. Even if the adds take up a collective total of 100mb (which I don't imagine would be terribly hard to do), that is already 5% of the new highest data plan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone fletch33's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpkirkley View Post
    Who remembers when it was cool to root for apple? Now, every time I think about it I get a sour taste in my mouth.
    indeed.
    "i believe louisiana is the pelican state"

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpkirkley View Post
    Tastes sweet to me. Admob has their loyal android phones so they can deal with it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

not good