+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Retina Display

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
In yesterday's iPhone 4 announcement, Steve Jobs shoveled a lot of specs at us, particularly regarding the new " Retina Display ." The oddly-named screen - an LCD with a
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default The Retina Display

In yesterday's iPhone 4 announcement, Steve Jobs shoveled a lot of specs at us, particularly regarding the new "Retina Display." The oddly-named screen - an LCD with a pixel density abnormally high for a mobile phone - seems like it will be one of those features, like the iPad's display, that you have to see to appreciate. The iPad was not that impressive when it was first announced, one may remember, but many people were blown away by the screen when they actually saw it with their own eyes.

The Retina Display's name seems to be either a conscious or unconscious riff on the retinal displays used in virtual reality, where pixels are projected directly on the retina. Steve Jobs also made mention of the fact that the human eye can only discern individual points of light at a density below 300 pixels per inch. This screen, with its pixel density of 326 ppi, is thus supposedly to be as lifelike as a photograph.

Additionally, the Retina Display employs the same IPS (in-plane switching) technology used in the iPad and Apple LED Cinema Display. With IPS, the crystals are aligned horizontally to the screen rather than vertically, which keeps the crystals parallel to the screen. With normal TFT screens, the crystals turn at right angles relative to the surface, which limits contrast, brightness and color definition as you look at the screen from an angle.

This screen also has a much higher contrast ratio: at 800:1, the Retina Display has a 4x greater ratio between the darkest black and the brightest white than the current iPhone. This will give improved detail in dark images and videos, and make text display even sharper when combined with the high pixel density.

Apple says the glass on both the front and back of the iPhone is "Made from the same materials used in helicopters and high-speed trains" and "chemically strengthened to be harder, more scratch resistant, and more durable than ever." We'll have to wait and see, as I'm hard enough on my plastic iPhone... however, "harder than sapphire crystal" is an impressive brag.

So I still think "iPhone HD" might have been a more appropriate name for this device... but given the number of superlatives Apple is tossing around in their marketing, having it be called just a plain old "Four" takes a bit of the bombast out of it.
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 06-08-2010 at 11:04 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

apoc (06-08-2010), CaryDude (06-09-2010)

Thanks

wow now i cannot wait till get one of these iphone 4's !

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Steve Jobs also made mention of the fact that the human eye can only discern individual points of light at a density below 300 pixels per inch.
    You missed the important part of that. You can see about 300ppi at about 12-15in away from your eye...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Fun fact: one pixel on the iPhone 4 is smaller than the width of a human hair

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Luppin For This Useful Post:

PlatoTheForms (06-08-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The specs on this display are impressive. I hope it handles well under direct sunlight (a thing where the Nexus One fails miserably).

iPhone? More like MyPhone nautical79's Avatar
    Thanks

Thay spend to much time on developing this iphone that they forgot to give it a proper name, wonder if the name its gona change once the firmware 5.0 comes out, sorry the ios5
    Common Sense Its Not So Common

Green Apple
    Thanks

There's already a phone called "something" HD (don't remember what it is though) but that is why apple didn't name it "iPhone HD"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tgabriel123 For This Useful Post:

hollow0 (06-09-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,147 Posts

^ HTC HD and HTC HD2? lol
    If you'd like, follow me on Twitter: @16Maarten
    Master Theme Creator

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

I cant wait to see this screen in person... Sounds pretty impressive. They only thing I keep thinking of is how this phone will be like after a few months of use. I already see things like hair and lint and that sticky gross black stuff that was on the monkey bars and in McDonald's play lands getting trapped around the stainless steel "antenna." ...Constantly picking at it and tracing the outline of the glass with a toothpick because I have OCD.

And I couldnt agree more with iPhone HD. Thats a lot more impressive sounding than iPhone 4. Maybe they're saving the iPhone HD name for a later iPhone?
    Last edited by Eagleye; 06-08-2010 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks

So the front and the back of the phone are made from glass? Looks to be aluminosilicate glass, which is actually Gorilla Glass, and it will break if dropped. This seems like a really odd idea for the body of the phone. I wonder how long till we get pics of iPhone 4's that have been dropped and the whole body has cracked.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I wonder who will be the first to try to smash the iphone for youtube attention. I would like to see how much of a beating it can take. I know they had a hard time with ipad.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hrethgir View Post
    So the front and the back of the phone are made from glass? Looks to be aluminosilicate glass, which is actually Gorilla Glass, and it will break if dropped.
    Please expound.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hrethgir View Post
    So the front and the back of the phone are made from glass? Looks to be aluminosilicate glass, which is actually Gorilla Glass, and it will break if dropped. This seems like a really odd idea for the body of the phone. I wonder how long till we get pics of iPhone 4's that have been dropped and the whole body has cracked.
    I really dont think they'll have problems with it getting broken. It seems incredibly durable unlike ordinary glass.

Take a look here at the stress tests --> Gorilla Glass - ?? - ???? - ????

You can see when they drop the glass it does not break.. it sort of bounces... so its more like plexi-glass than glass-glass. Do you think you're the only person to think that glass on a phone might break? Everyone knows Apple had fun chucking iPhone 4's at the pavement for stress tests to see if that was going to happen. Either that, or they gave a few to AT&T rehab customers who are recovering with Verizon to throw around. ("VERIZON!!"... haha, good keynote!)

And hey, i wonder since its all glass, why not a clear iPhone 4 body? Now THAT would be cool!
    Last edited by Eagleye; 06-08-2010 at 11:30 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagleye For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (06-09-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Side by side with a 3GS screen:

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/wp-conte...6/DSC_0230.jpg

4 on the left, 3Gs on the right.
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 06-08-2010 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

billchase2 (06-08-2010), CaryDude (06-09-2010), Chase817 (06-08-2010), mysteryskater125 (06-08-2010), rockstarblech (06-08-2010), SirTimothy1 (06-08-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post

WOW. Thats the picture i've been looking for. Thats freakin NUTS.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

The display and HD video recording is enough for me to buy it even though the 256MB of ram was holding me back.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpkirkley View Post
    Please expound.
    Gorilla Glass is glass. Glass breaks. I know it's stronger and tougher than regular glass, but it's not "unbreakable." I've seen several pictures of HTC Droid incredibles and Motorola Droids, both phones with Gorilla Glass screens, that have been dropped, resulting in a cracked screen. So, to expand, having something that cracks or breaks like that for a phone body seems like a poor idea to me. And yes, I know plastic can also crack or break, but being more flexible, it can absord the shock better. Gorilla Glass is very scratch resistant and makes for a great screen, but I don't see why it's being used for the back, too.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Hrethgir For This Useful Post:

cpkirkley (06-08-2010)

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    The display and HD video recording is enough for me to buy it even though the 256MB of ram was holding me back.
    How many apps could you possibly want to run simultaneously to need more than 256mb? A normal app requires less than 10mb. So unless you're interested in killing your battery, 256 should be enough
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

iPhone? More like MyPhone PlatoTheForms's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post

when i look at my iphone, it doesn't look as pixelated as that 3gs screenshot. One would have to have the iphone 3 inches from their eyes to appreciate the new improvement; at least thats what it looks like for photos and videos. Perhaps for games, reading and other apps, the improvements of the new screen can be more pronounced. I admit though, that the hardness and durability of the screen is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    Don't let that fool you bro, 256 is plenty for the iPhone. Other phones have more because they have OSs that are hardware hogs.
    Last edited by PlatoTheForms; 06-08-2010 at 12:06 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

with the new backgrounding services, ram shouldn't even be an issue

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray661 For This Useful Post:

PlatoTheForms (06-08-2010)

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast