Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Retina Display

Quote Originally Posted by Turb02 View Post
    did anyone see on ATT website last night that the price was lowered? the 32GB was listed on the main page for 199 with 2 year contract and the 16 was 149. I looked today and cannot find that ANYWHERE. im merely asking so I can tell myself im not going crazy...
    you're not crazy...well you're sort of crazy. it was the 3gS that is 199 and 149.

iPhone 4 & 3GS, Exclusively from AT&T and Apple - Wireless from AT&T

idiots are complaining about wasted pixels, this retina display is awesome, but it's actually a bi-product of Apple's linearity, 960x640 is exactly double the current resolution of the current gen iPhone's, so apps don't have to be re-written, which is a VERY smart and wise move, saves devs a ton of trouble, it's not like apple set out to have more ppi then your eye can perceive... know what the hell you're complaining about before you start complaining

3. The Following User Says Thank You to szfebje For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (06-08-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by szfebje View Post
    idiots are complaining about wasted pixels, this retina display is awesome, but it's actually a bi-product of Apple's linearity, 960x640 is exactly double the current resolution of the current gen iPhone's, so apps don't have to be re-written, which is a VERY smart and wise move, saves devs a ton of trouble, it's not like apple set out to have more ppi then your eye can perceive... know what the hell you're complaining about before you start complaining
    Short, sweet, to the point, and well thought out... I like you! Keep it up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpkirkley View Post
    If apple was serious about getting "serious" with gaming, 256 MB is a total fail in that regard.

256 would be a nice upgrade and yield great results if the resolution had stayed the same. Bumping the CPU and res is awesome, but capping ram at such a low level is going to hurt them. In the gaming space, at least.
    I highly doubt they'll be a game designed for the iPhone itself which would require 256mb of ram. At least not in the near future. If there's a game that required such specs, it would murder the battery in a few minutes anyway
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

iPhone? More like MyPhone wareagle5693's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hrethgir View Post
    So the front and the back of the phone are made from glass? Looks to be aluminosilicate glass, which is actually Gorilla Glass, and it will break if dropped. This seems like a really odd idea for the body of the phone. I wonder how long till we get pics of iPhone 4's that have been dropped and the whole body has cracked.
    obviously the front is made of glass..... and hmm i doubt it will, considering what he's said it's made of, sounds nothing like this 'gorilla glass' you speak of...

iPhone games will never need more then 256mb RAM. At least not for years still

Prince of Persia: WW only takes up less then 60mb RAM and that's a full PS2 port

Cod:zombies takes up 80mb RAM roughly on high settings

still got just under 100 left to use

Guess some people will still complain about not being able to max Crysis on the iPhone...

EVO 4G FTW!!!!!!!!!

Haha JK. I can't wait till this thing appears on my doorstep on the 24th.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrethgir View Post
    So the front and the back of the phone are made from glass? Looks to be aluminosilicate glass, which is actually Gorilla Glass, and it will break if dropped. This seems like a really odd idea for the body of the phone. I wonder how long till we get pics of iPhone 4's that have been dropped and the whole body has cracked.
    Dell Streak's Gorilla Glass screen: torture tested for your amusement (video) -- Engadget

Stabbity stab stab.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

hollow0 (06-09-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Carlos's Avatar
    Thanks

honestly i think they didnt name it HD for a reason....they may have a phone coming out in the near future with 1080P is what im thinkin and then HD would be more appropriate
    King Los aka Los Ninyo

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    honestly i think they didnt name it HD for a reason....they may have a phone coming out in the near future with 1080P is what im thinkin and then HD would be more appropriate
    720P is HD...

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    so if the human eye can only see 300 pixels per inch, does that mean that 26 pixels are being wasted every inch?
    No, the OP forgot to mention the human eye can see 300ppi at about 12-15in from your eye...

The closer you get the more you can see.
    Last edited by iPhone3G[S]; 06-09-2010 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    I highly doubt they'll be a game designed for the iPhone itself which would require 256mb of ram. At least not in the near future. If there's a game that required such specs, it would murder the battery in a few minutes anyway
    Youre right, but Jobs said himself that he is looking for Apple to really dig into the games arena. If thats what he wants than this decision begs to be questioned. If they want the iOS to even come CLOSE to the new offerings from nintendo and sony, the system memory would have to be at the minimum 384. Other wise the performance gap is going to be too big for the iphone/itouch to ever compete with. DS and PSP will continue to be regarded as the TRUE portable gaming system, with Apple middling along in the space somewhere in between sudoku and hero of sparta. Or worse, it will be the Wii compared to X360/PS3.

As great as the game ended up being, I'm hardly considering trading in my PSPGo (and Gran Turismo...) for Real Racing.

Where the argument could be made that the 3gs could push pixels as well as the DSi, the new generation 3DS will probably crap on the iPhone 4 from a gameplaying standpoint.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone3G[S] View Post
    You missed the important part of that. You can see about 300ppi at about 12-15in away from your eye...
    I believe he said 10-12 inches.

At any rate, I appreciate the higher quality display but I hate the dumb marketing calling it a 'retina' display. Sheesh. Leave it to Apple . . . There's plenty of descriptive terms that actually mean something, instead of just sounding like something. Why make up terms? It's like Apple just assumes we're all too dumb to understand the concept of resolution or PPI and so we get nonsense marketing words instead.

As for the glass, I'm very interested to see some scratch tests on one of these things once they're out in the wild. Maybe one of the leaked Vietnamese prototypes can be tested. If this is as durable as Gorilla Glass, I'll be pretty happy/impressed. Sapphire is a 9 out of 10 on the Mohs scale, so theoretically something "comparable to" sapphire should be very hard to scratch indeed.

I was googling to find more information about the glass and found this comment. Who knows how accurate the guy is:

"It's aluminosilicate glass or Al₂SiO₅ with a hardness of about 7 (Mohs scale) at best.

Sapphire crystal is Al₂O₃, which has a hardness of 9. So it's hard, but not that hard."
    Last edited by Faxmonkey; 06-09-2010 at 02:12 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle5693 View Post
    obviously the front is made of glass..... and hmm i doubt it will, considering what he's said it's made of, sounds nothing like this 'gorilla glass' you speak of...

Apple - iPhone 4 - Design of the display, A4 processor, and more

"All the breakthrough technology in iPhone 4 is situated between two glossy panels of aluminosilicate glass...."

Gorilla Glass | Home

"Corning’s Gorilla® Glass is an environmentally friendly alkali-aluminosilicate thin sheet glass designed specifically to function as a protective cover glass for high-end display devices such as notebook PCs, televisions and mobile phones."

Sounds like the same stuff to me. The case is probably thicker than the screen covers, but glass is still glass and while it may be stronger, it's also usually more brittle, meaning that instead of giving, it will hold until it hits its limit, and then breaks. And with glass, it doesn't always take a hard hit, just the right hit. I used to work with auto glass, and you can hit a tempered piece of glass as hard as you can in the middle with a hammer and it will bounce off, but drop that same piece of glass 6 inches onto a corner, and it shatters.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post

I've seen that, and it's impressive, but like I said above, the center and the edge are are different. Here's an HTC Droid Incredible dropped from waist high and landing on the concrete screen-down with Gorilla Glass screen:

Another one bites the dust.... - Android Forums

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    so if the human eye can only see 300 pixels per inch, does that mean that 26 pixels are being wasted every inch?
    no, those pixels are used to send the subliminal messages.

didn't they mention that in the keynote as one of the 100 new features? Hidden pixel messages

Quote Originally Posted by lfc_ View Post
    iPhone games will never need more then 256mb RAM. At least not for years still

Prince of Persia: WW only takes up less then 60mb RAM and that's a full PS2 port

Cod:zombies takes up 80mb RAM roughly on high settings

still got just under 100 left to use
    How about SF4? Its also worth nothing that all that characters arent in that game. Forget years down the road - Apple seems to be making this push NOW. They are aggressively marketing the next generation of iDevices as full on replacements of dedicated mobile gaming systems - all while being everything else that iPhones have become. While I wont dispute that iOS is a viable choice for some gamers, those that are looking to see if the new iDevices can bring the same experience that the other systems can will take note when comparing the products.

iPhones are being pushed as "Do Everything" type of devices. While its great to say that, you also have to concede that while its a jack of all trades, it is a master of none.

Its not about running Crysis on Max settings on your phone, either. I'm saying that if this new iPhone is supposed to be a rival of a PSP or DS, then dumbed down ports of street fighter and hi-resolution versions of Zen Bound are not going to cut it.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpkirkley View Post
    How about SF4? Its also worth nothing that all that characters arent in that game. Forget years down the road - Apple seems to be making this push NOW. They are aggressively marketing the next generation of iDevices as full on replacements of dedicated mobile gaming systems - all while being everything else that iPhones have become. While I wont dispute that iOS is a viable choice for some gamers, those that are looking to see if the new iDevices can bring the same experience that the other systems can will take note when comparing the products.

iPhones are being pushed as "Do Everything" type of devices. While its great to say that, you also have to concede that while its a jack of all trades, it is a master of none.

Its not about running Crysis on Max settings on your phone, either. I'm saying that if this new iPhone is supposed to be a rival of a PSP or DS, then dumbed down ports of street fighter and hi-resolution versions of Zen Bound are not going to cut it.
    lol at this comment....
    i have 3 DSi's, 2 PSP, 2 Wii's, and a PS2 in my house. my kids don't look at any of them anymore. Why? They all have 3rd Gen 32GB iPod touches....

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Side by side with a 3GS screen:

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/wp-conte...6/DSC_0230.jpg

4 on the left, 3Gs on the right.
    O M G

I need new underwear...

Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    lol at this comment....
    i have 3 DSi's, 2 PSP, 2 Wii's, and a PS2 in my house. my kids don't look at any of them anymore. Why? They all have 3rd Gen 32GB iPod touches....
    No offense to you or your kids, but they aren't really gamers if your statement is true...

Quote Originally Posted by Faxmonkey View Post
    I believe he said 10-12 inches.

At any rate, I appreciate the higher quality display but I hate the dumb marketing calling it a 'retina' display. Sheesh. Leave it to Apple . . . There's plenty of descriptive terms that actually mean something, instead of just sounding like something. Why make up terms? It's like Apple just assumes we're all too dumb to understand the concept of resolution or PPI and so we get nonsense marketing words instead.
    You forgot that Apple's main selling point of OSX these past years was "Too stupid to use a Windows based PC? Buy an intuitive Mac"

Quote Originally Posted by salmedina87 View Post
    Does anyone know if Apple stores will carry the iPhone 4 for display prior to its release date? Would make it easier for me to decide if I should preorder.
    This is almost definitely a "no" just based on the track record of every other product they have sold. They never get display products before they sell them. In most cases, the displays come a week or two AFTER launch to try and keep up with initial demand.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatoTheForms View Post
    when i look at my iphone, it doesn't look as pixelated as that 3gs screenshot. One would have to have the iphone 3 inches from their eyes to appreciate the new improvement; at least thats what it looks like for photos and videos. Perhaps for games, reading and other apps, the improvements of the new screen can be more pronounced. I admit though, that the hardness and durability of the screen is impressive.
    Have you looked at the iPhone (3GS and lower) compared to the new droid? THAT is the difference you will see. I DEFINITELY see a difference.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 06-09-2010 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast