Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iAds Get a Big Push at 2010 WWDC

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default iAds Get a Big Push at 2010 WWDC

As the live audience in attendance and thousands more across the blogosphere awaited the 8th and final attribute of the new iPhone to be introduced, many - if not most - were surprised by what Steve Jobs saved for last. Thinking the new video chat functionality dubbed "FaceTime" would be the last feature introduced (ultimately, though, it was), Apple's head honcho took more than a few minutes to plug Apple's foray into digital advertising.

As it turns out, he did it for the devs.

"Number 8.... iAds," said Jobs, referencing the new mobile advertising platform aimed at helping "our developers earn money." Devs, keep in mind, get 60% of revenue. Not too shabby considering that iAds are estimated to capture nearly half of the entire mobile ad market before 2010 expires. “Apple hosts and sells the ads, so all you have to do is tell us where you want them and make the money."

Apple has only been selling ads for two months and, already, the major advertising players on board include: AT&T, Chanel, GE, Nissan, Citi, Unilever, State Farm, Liberty Mutual, Geico, Campbell’s Sears, JC Penney, Target, Best Buy, DirecTV, TBS, and Disney. "We've got advertisers committing $60 million," confessed Jobs.

The interactive, in-app ads will help developers greatly, but as outlined in the keynote, they're also a good thing for iPhone users. "The worst thing you want as a user," said Jobs, "is to tap on a banner, and be hijacked out of your app into a browser." During the presentation, Jobs showed off a Nissan ad for the car-maker's new electric car, the "Leaf." Basically, if you want to buy this ride, you have to register for the waiting list through Nissan's ad on the iPhone.

Although the jury is still out among many iPhone users who don't know what to make of the new advertising platform yet, iAds will hit for all iOS 4 devices beginning July 1st.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

They spent way too much time iAdvertising this...

This is an awesome tool to developers to take advantage of. Keeps apps free, brings some genuinely creative advertisement to the platform.

I still don't even understand what it exactly is.

Are the ads going to be in every app? Only apps that devs opt to have them in? Is this going to reduce the cost of apps if they have ads? Are they going to be in the browser? Even browser pop-ups, maybe?

What I'd really like to know is: Is anyone working on an iAd-blocker yet?

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Hope there will be an iAd blocker, I hate adverts in an app. iAd better not be used in paid apps.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Yes I too also hate the opportunity for developers who try to make a living out of applications from making money while at the same time complaining about anything more expensive than 99 cents.

Get real guys, Apple is proving a streamlined easy to use advertisement platform for any developer to use. They're not forced to use it. Those that do are given an unintrusive ad that keeps everything within the app itself. At no point will it it quit it or detract from what you're doing.

I'd love to live in whatever dream utopia you guys live where everything is free but the reality is that developing and making apps takes time and costs money. Devs SHOULD be rewarded for their efforts and this is an excellent way for them to get money off their apps without making the costumer pay more than they need (if they need to pay at all)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

Cer0 (06-07-2010), Truckinlow (06-08-2010)

This will probably mean fewer "lite" apps in the App Store. Totally fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    Hope there will be an iAd blocker, I hate adverts in an app. iAd better not be used in paid apps.
    Can I just block you?

I dont want advert on paid apps. There should be a way turning it off

I doubt paid apps will see this. This is mainly to replace things like ad-mob that you see in a lot (a lot) of apps with an easier native solution that is entirely managed by apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post

I'd love to live in whatever dream utopia you guys live where everything is free but the reality is that developing and making apps takes time and costs money. Devs SHOULD be rewarded for their efforts and this is an excellent way for them to get money off their apps without making the costumer pay more than they need (if they need to pay at all)
    I live in a dream world because I don't mind paying for apps?

I'd much rather pay a couple of dollars for a game than have a free one with ads.

This doesn't mean it will force EVERY SINGLE APP to use iAd. Again, this is just a naive solution to advertisement to replace ad-mob (since that's soon to be owned by Google) on current free/ad-supported applications.

This is meant to replace current ads on existing apps, not to add ads to every app.

Quote Originally Posted by skizo View Post
    I live in a dream world because I don't mind paying for apps?

I'd much rather pay a couple of dollars for a game than have a free one with ads.
    I'm pretty sure you're in the minority here. Sure, everyone hates ads, but if I can save all the money I've spent on apps (although minimal) just by seeing a few non-intrusive ads stick out from the bottom of the screen, I have no problem with that.

Default Apple is going to be a major mobile beast now
    App Store = 30% of sales with 30% of DLC sales
    iAds = 40% of ad revenue plus a percentage of the sales from those ad clicks that generate sales for that particular company

70% - 30% apps, 60% - 40% ads, that is why Jobs is selling iAds so much.

Considering Apple can sell their hardware and knows how to market will make ad agencies line up for iAds. These agencies want to be able to sell products (and sell well) on the iOS platform.

Make no mistake, Google wants their ads on the iOS platform and this is cause for concern to Google.

Apple can sell, Google has not shown that they can market things as effectively as Apple.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Livin the iPhone Life wannabprogramma's Avatar
    Thanks

the great thing is wit iAds, devs have the chance to make more money than they would by just charging 99 cents for the app, so there will be many more free apps...i think this will turn out to be a great tool
    The Next Generation of Phreaks.

As much as I dislike advertisements, they make sense; especially for free apps. Right now, the ads can be those scrolling banners or even take up your entire screen. With iAd, they'll be much prettier, interactive, and possibly even fun. I'm all for the iAds!
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    This doesn't mean it will force EVERY SINGLE APP to use iAd. Again, this is just a naive solution to advertisement to replace ad-mob (since that's soon to be owned by Google) on current free/ad-supported applications.

This is meant to replace current ads on existing apps, not to add ads to every app.
    Source?

Quote Originally Posted by skolpo View Post
    I'm pretty sure you're in the minority here. Sure, everyone hates ads, but if I can save all the money I've spent on apps (although minimal) just by seeing a few non-intrusive ads stick out from the bottom of the screen, I have no problem with that.
    I may very well be. It's just an opinion after all.

I just felt 'Happy Noodle Boy' was off in left field, ranting about "dream utopias" and putting words in our mouths. :/
    Last edited by skizo; 06-08-2010 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost