+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Android Froyo Running On iPhone 3G : Almost 100% Compatible

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQKfeDnMVQ8]YouTube - Android 2.2 Froyo running on the iPhone[/ame] An Italian site by the name of iDroid , has managed to port the new Android 2.2 "Froyo" to the iPhone
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

Default Android Froyo Running On iPhone 3G : Almost 100% Compatible
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQKfeDnMVQ8]YouTube - Android 2.2 Froyo running on the iPhone[/ame]

An Italian site by the name of iDroid, has managed to port the new Android 2.2 "Froyo" to the iPhone 3G only a short time after Froyo was leaked upon the internet.

The port is based on the iBoot method we've seen used already for Android on the iPhone 2G and 3G created by planetbeing for Android 1.6.

Interestingly enough, the port is almost 100% functional. Almost everything is working except WiFi and sound. You are able to send calls and sms messages, but I am not quite sure if you can receive them. I don't have the balls to try it out, but we'll try and get a guide up soon on how you can do this yourself. You will need to be Jailbroken of course and be familiar with SSHing.

It should be noted that there may be issues with the GPU which can cause the phone to get a little hot... as usual, be very cautious if you choose to gamble, tempting as it may be.

Until then, you can always translate the guide posted on iDroid.
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 06-06-2010 at 08:43 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick Hesson For This Useful Post:

dubt2 (06-06-2010), Freerunnering (06-07-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I hope that some day I'll be able to dual boot either iPhone OS or Droid on my iPhone.
    Last edited by Cer0; 06-07-2010 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Edited saying that is not needed because post removed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dub Bleezy For This Useful Post:

fonz06 (06-07-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Bleezy View Post
    I hope that some day I'll be able to dual boot either iPhone OS or Droid on my iPhone.
    have you tried iPhoDroid?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

I still cannot understand the obsession with wanting another platform on the iPhone....
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

DisneyRicky (06-06-2010), dubt2 (06-06-2010), Poseidon79 (06-07-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    I still cannot understand the obsession with wanting another platform on the iPhone....
    Because it's a win - win... What's ur problem

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

awesome

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

iPhone? More like MyPhone wgm214's Avatar
    Thanks

iphone is arguably the sleekest, and fastest(eh), hardware out there. idroid gives you the option to choose between 2 of the best mobile software options. If palm was smart they wouldve had android daulbooting on the pre from the getgo; theyre both based on linuxx too
    Wanna-be coder/iphone user since '08

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

The same reason people would want to dual boot Windows on a Mac. Best of both worlds. As someone stated, win-win situation.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

You could use my guide here: Hack that Phone - Installing Android on the iPhone 2G or 3G

The first download from that Italian site "archivio.zip" consists of the android files similar to those that planetbeing provided in his release.

The second download "firmware" is the multitouch and wifi drivers.

I think I'll test this out.

Edit: Yep, it works with those instructions. It might be best to extract your own multitouch files however.
    Last edited by exNavy; 06-06-2010 at 10:15 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Just as I'm about to leave for a week-long work trip, argh.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone 1PM@N!O's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wgm214 View Post
    iphone is arguably the sleekest, and fastest(eh), hardware out there. idroid gives you the option to choose between 2 of the best mobile software options. If palm was smart they wouldve had android daulbooting on the pre from the getgo; theyre both based on linuxx too
    sleakest... fastest... seen the droid incredible?

iPhone? More like MyPhone wareagle5693's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1PM@N!O View Post
    sleakest... fastest... seen the droid incredible?
    I'd say the fastest is the EVO and Droid Incredible, which are essentially the same phone with a few minor differences..

Green Apple
    Thanks

The iPhone 2G is the iPhone 3G. The iPhone 3G is the iPhone 3GS. The iPhone 1G is the iPhone. If you're gonna post news, get your iPhones correct. The iPhone has only been out for 3 years. Until tomorrow ( hopefully ), they have ONLY 3 Generations so far.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by QWood13 View Post
    The iPhone 2G is the iPhone 3G. The iPhone 3G is the iPhone 3GS. The iPhone 1G is the iPhone. If you're gonna post news, get your iPhones correct. The iPhone has only been out for 3 years. Until tomorrow ( hopefully ), they have ONLY 3 Generations so far.
    WTF?

iPhone 2G is the original with steel back. It only has 2g
    iPhone 3G is the 2nd version with 3G
    iPhone 3GS is the 3rd version with 3G and compass
    iPhone 4G/HD is the next one due tomorrow. The square one with the HD screen and more ram.

Green Apple
    Thanks

answered my own question...
    Last edited by Buddy17; 06-06-2010 at 11:21 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

I installed the Archivio.zip version and its the older android 1.6.
    I then installed the Installer.zip version and that is the new 2.2 version but it keeps popping up with errors and is unusable.

I thought as all 3G iPhones are the same what works on one should work on all 3G iPhones?
    Is this the 2G iPhone version? Thats probably why its not working for me on my 3G.

What's Jailbreak? projectdwnshft's Avatar
    Thanks

not sure what the point of this is, if u want to use that OS cause u find it better than whats on ur iphone then go get an HTC phone or an android. that vid makes that ported os look like a slow waste of time

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by QWood13 View Post
    and btw...you are retarded. I would agree with you, meaning the "G" means generation. But sorry. It doesn't. Apple officially named the 2nd generation iphone the "3G iPhone". It is on their site as that, so who are you to change the official name to something you thought up?

1st generation iPhone = iPhone
    2nd generation iPhone = iPhone 3G
    3rd generation iPhone = iPhone 3GS

BUT, according to the latest 4th gen iphone leak, it only has "iPhone" on the back case! What will it be called!!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy17 View Post
    and btw...you are retarded. I would agree with you, meaning the "G" means generation. But sorry. It doesn't. Apple officially named the 2nd generation iphone the "3G iPhone". It is on their site as that, so who are you to change the official name to something you thought up?

1st generation iPhone = iPhone
    2nd generation iPhone = iPhone 3G
    3rd generation iPhone = iPhone 3GS

BUT, according to the latest 4th gen iphone leak, it only has "iPhone" on the back case! What will it be called!!
    I agree with you.

The 2nd generation iPhone was NOT called 3G because of the generation iPhone it was called that because it had 3G capabilities where the original iPhone didn't have 3G.

The 3rd iPhone was called 3GS because it was the same as the 3G but its faster thats where the S comes in to it for Speed.

The next will be called either the iPhone 4G or iPhone HD. It's suppose to have new network speed and its got a HD screen. I guess we will have to wait a few more days to find out exactly what they will call it.