Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Email Steve Jobs, Get an Answer; Email AT&T, Get a Threat

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Email Steve Jobs, Get an Answer; Email AT&T, Get a Threat

A "soon-to-be-former" AT&T customer's email to the carrier's chief executive got him a nastygram from customer service, informing him that they'd sic the lawyers on him if they persisted. An exec later apologized to Giorgio Galante, who garnered a lot of attention after posting the emails and voicemails on his blog, but the whole story highlighted a shift in how companies communicate with their customers these days: if you email Steve Jobs, you increasingly get a personal response from the CEO (or, as is more likely, someone else with access to his email), but if you email the CEO of AT&T, you get an ominous threat.

Galante originally sent a fairly politely-worded email to AT&T's CEO Randall Stephenson, asking him to shift his upgrade eligibility back so that he could get a next-gen iPhone when it's released. Unsurprisingly, he didn't get a direct response from Stephenson, but did get a courteous reply from someone named "Brent" with the company's "Executive Reponse Team" saying, in essence: "no can do, don't blame us, blame Apple." Galante was doubtless disappointed to hear this response, but held his frustration until news of the new AT&T data plans was released. Then, he shot off a more sharply-worded (but still pretty mild) email to Stephenson. Starting with "thanks for making the switch to a Sprint HTC Evo an even easier decision," the email went on to call the 200MB-capped "Data Plus" plan's $15 fee "a crappy anchor price that makes the $25 plan look like a better deal than it really is." He also observed that he didn't "think even Steve Jobs can spin 2GB for $25/month as a good thing for the consumer," which may have been too much for the harried customer service rep tasked with responding. "Brent" picked up the phone and left a nervous-sounding message on Galante's voicemail, first thanking him "for the feedback" but then warning him "if you continue to send e-mails to Randall Stephenson a cease and desist letter may be sent to you" from AT&T's lawyers.

The story spread like wildfire through the tech blogosphere, which was already disposed to take a dim view of AT&T's policies after the sudden change in its data plans. Engadget picked up the story, as did blogs from Slashdot to Forbes, amplifying the customer service gaffe to the point where an executive VP called Galante to personally apologize, and the company put out a press release avowing that the response "is not the way we want to treat customers." The carrier went on to promise that it "strives to provide our customers with easy ways to have their questions addressed…from Facebook to significant customer service channels." (Facebook?)

Steve Jobs may have opened a can of worms with his curt emails to customers, and while it's safe to assume that he doesn't go to [email protected] every morning to wade through hundreds or thousands of messages a day, he at least knows the power of a direct response, even if it's not what customers want to hear.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (06-06-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Brandonii's Avatar
    Thanks

ATT FAIL. Apple- Win

formerly known as Method2001 TheGrandFinale2001's Avatar
    Thanks

What douches lol

Steve Jobs is the only CEO I know of that replies to his own emails. Usually it's an assistant or something like that. The CEO at my old company didn't reply to emails like that at all.

Thanks
    I just send AT&T's CEO an email.... lets see what I get back... LMFAO

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lerrysan For This Useful Post:

rsmith7 (06-05-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Halten77's Avatar
    Thanks

Oooo Lol Good Luck Lerrysan!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

yet another reason to dislike AT&T..

iPhone? More like MyPhone nautical79's Avatar
    Thanks

I´m a sales representative of telcel here on baja and even we dont have my uncle Carlos Slim email, you guys must feel gratefull for what the good lord of the internet its given you, and lets not talk about costumer service, beeing a monopoly reegarles what they say, they can charge what ever and do whatever they want with the service. and dont get me wrong its not an awfull service its just that its a little bit priced, or its normal to pay a 1000 dlls for and iphone? what you guys think?
    Common Sense Its Not So Common

Exactly why I choose tmobile.

wowie. sounds like brent needs a diaper change.

lucky our little "what question should we ask steve jobs" thread is directed at apple, not AT&T
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

We all know ATT's response is "Show me the money!"

AT&T is just taking advantage of the average iPhone user who would willingly except these outrageous fees for a jailed hunk of crap. All for the fad.

iPhone? More like MyPhone madczech's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oo3 View Post
    Steve Jobs is the only CEO I know of that replies to his own emails. Usually it's an assistant or something like that. The CEO at my old company didn't reply to emails like that at all.
    doubt that steve answers the mails! xD you know how much he would have to do a day??!
    its all just marketing
    I don't give a damn about Chuck Norris, Spongebob can grill under water!

iPhone? More like MyPhone PSYC0TIC ONE's Avatar
    Thanks

someone should email steve jobs and ask HIM what he thinks of the new ATT data plans...

i have another year left, i should NOT upgrade my account to hold onto the unlimited plan for the next year, and ebay/craigslist the new iphone...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Since Verizon said not in the near future, Apple chose AT&T and so far sticking with it, so AT&T = Fail = Apple iPhone.

I'm really starting to hate AT&T. Should I go get the evo or is the next iPhone is going to be as good or better? I called AT&T and they told me that when I upgrade to a new iPhone I can keep my unlimited data plan. But if I switch to one of these new data plans I won't be able to go back to the unlimited one. I guess you don't have to worry about upgrading, just make sure you tell them that you want to keep your original unlimited data plan. I use around 400mb of data per month on my iPhone. How about you guys? 

Green Apple
    Thanks

Not surprised. AT&T are a bunch of dicks. They tried to use the iPhone to take over the cell phone industry and now it's the same thing thAt will kill them

Green Apple
    Thanks

There is no such thing as "upgrading" your account and losing the unlimited plan ... if you are already on the unlimited plan, you remain grandfathered in, even if you upgrade your iPhone to the new one coming in a couple weeks. The new data plan pricing is only for new customers, period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast