+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Safari 5 May Be Launched at WWDC with Sweet New Features

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Those "in the know" have reason to believe that this Monday's WWDC 2010 kick-off will bring with it the arrival of Safari 5, replete with several new features, two of
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Safari 5 May Be Launched at WWDC with Sweet New Features

Those "in the know" have reason to believe that this Monday's WWDC 2010 kick-off will bring with it the arrival of Safari 5, replete with several new features, two of which - extension support and Reader - will represent significant upgrades to the popular browser.

It's a prospect that leaves many Safari users saying "it's about time." Extensions, after all, are nothing new for the likes of IE, Chrome, and even Firefox. The ability to enable users to create more custom functions will certainly increase the appeal of the browser as well as the loyalty of those already hooked. The addition of Reader, however, will most likely let users click the new Reader icon, which can simplify the process of reading articles on the web by presenting them on a standalone page without the myriad distractions probably found in the article's original location.

Talk this weekend of a Safari 5 update - right along with speculation of Bing search support and expanded HTML5 support - comes from MacGeneration, which turned up top-secret James Bond-like image captures of supposed support documents from Apple. The info dishes on a plethora of features on tap for Safari 5, including the prospect of 25% faster JavaScript performance over the last Safari update. Other cool attributes may include smarter address fields, search history with date, a nifty little "Private Browsing" icon, and better page caching.

With so little mystery surrounding the 4th generation iPhone and it's poorly hidden new features and attributes, it's kind of nice to know that some real and pleasant surprises may still be in store for the WWDC.

Be sure to stay with modmyi.com/live this Monday morning, June 7th at 10AM PST for live coverage of Steve Jobs delivering this year's epic keynote.

Images via MacGeneration

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (06-06-2010), Freerunnering (06-05-2010)

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I doubt it

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

i've always liked the design of safari, but it gives out to much errors, if this isnt good i'll probably be switching back to google chrome
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

Nice to hear good news

iPhone? More like MyPhone yentrog31's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    i've always liked the design of safari, but it gives out to much errors, if this isnt good i'll probably be switching back to google chrome
    ditto....I dont why ,maybe it depends on each persons set-up...but Chrome delivers for me almost all the time.....Safari is like it sounds..you bag an animal sometimes..sometimes you go back to the tent and the bugs get you!..I use Chrome 75% of the time..Safari 25% and IE only if I have to......

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My jaw dropped at tab settings! Finally I don't have to do have a plugin to click to tab instead of windows.

formerly known as Method2001 TheGrandFinale2001's Avatar
    Thanks

Well this will make Safari more appealing

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

the update is much needed cause i went over to opera cause safari was bugging me too much

Thanks

they always seem to be behind on some things
    like with the iphone like for ex. copy/paste,video recording,being able to change the background image u know things other phones have done for many years

So safari seems to be no different its about time they will add tabs and all that other stuff but ill prob stick to chrome.

Banned
    Thanks
    I'll stick to lovely internet explorer, thank you.

And even though it is outdated in terms of web standards (doesnt support html5 css3, most of it) most of the normal world uses it, so we have to oblige to it! Yes i know recently ie has been loosing market share. I dont know, firefox, safari, and chrome... And god know what else is out there, seem second class next to the almighty ie.

Bah!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george lopez View Post
    i'll stick to lovely internet explorer, thank you.

And even though it is outdated in terms of web standards (doesnt support html5 css3, most of it) most of the normal world uses it, so we have to oblige to it! Yes i know recently ie has been loosing market share. I dont know, firefox, safari, and chrome... And god know what else is out there, seem second class next to the almighty ie.

Bah!

lol
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Sticking to Firefox

Green Apple
    Thanks

I only used safari for a couple weeks, then I switched to firefox. just seemed to run a lot faster on my computer. i bet safari runs better for you mac users?

iPhone? More like MyPhone CMOSlabs's Avatar
    Thanks

I use FireFox because of the speed. Will have to see how Safari is after the updates. Hope some of them will trickle down to the iPhones Safari.
    Last edited by CMOSlabs; 06-05-2010 at 09:00 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

internet explorer sux so bad. i rather not have internet

Thanks

Is this update to Safari for the iPhone? If not, what's it doing in iPhone News?
    Safari is, I believe, OK on the Mac but it's third rate on Windows and I have no interest in another sub-standard browser.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone smokingkiils's Avatar
    Thanks

i can never make my mind up on web browsers... firstly i was on ie... then i actually got some brains and realized other internet broswers were out there then i got safari... which i loved but with its too many errors i moved to chrome which was okay but i dont know it had a wierd feel to it then i tried firefox which i HATED at the time and went back to safari, but then i had another play around on firefox and i love the customization on everything and im using that now like the new ideas though

Thanks

Classic apple "innovation". Use chrome.
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

Thanks
    I love safari. I wouldnt use anything else to browse the internet on my mac.

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

I prefer Chrome. It just runs so much faster then Firefox and Safari on my computer. And I'm pretty sure no one with half a brainstem and any idea what RAM is (besides @George Lopez) uses IE. IE is dead.

And I wonder if extensions will be the same kind of platform as the App Store. Where extensions are rejected for ridiculous reasons. I wouldn't put it past Apple to charge us for them either.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180