+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: AT&T Data Calculator - You Might Need It!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If you peeps want to read what peeps are saying on At&t on Facebook here is the link.... this new data plan is like a huge Hurricane cruising through the
...
  1. #21
    Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In Michigan And Florida
    Posts
    6,533
    Thanks
    3,595
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

    If you peeps want to read what peeps are saying on At&t on Facebook here is the link.... this new data plan is like a huge Hurricane cruising through the internet tearing it apart...

    AT&T | Facebook

    "Always remember your special and unique!"

  2. #22
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mi
    Posts
    272
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Assuming you have a 30 minute commute (1 hour a day) and you work/drive it EVERY SINGLE DAY OF THE MONTH and every minute you spend in it has you streaming music non-stop, you still don't go over the quota and gives you about 2.5 hours worth of streaming video / month after adding stuff like 100webpages/day, hundreds of email a day, etc.

    Now take into account the fact that you don't work every day, don't drive an hour every day, spend some time at home / work / mall where there's a good change you'll be near Wifi and you actual data usage "zones" decrease.
    Okay I get your point however most people do drive everyday and not just to work. During the weekdays I sometimes drive to the gym, the pool, the park, another house, a store, the bank, and lastly back home after BK. I also work and pick up my son from school so driving for an hour on a weekday is typical. (I guess I will need to switch to normal radio from time to time.)

    Now during the weekends I usually consume data by using a few more apps on the go like maps, facebook, mail, etc. I might be at the beach, mall, theaters, restaurant, etc. I could be looking for directions for a new party, club, or strip. I might want to post a picture, i dunno. At the end of the night, I will always have wifi but it's going to take a whole lot of discipline to not go over 200 mb.
    Last edited by Bluprint; 06-04-2010 at 09:37 PM.

  3. #23
    Super Moderator Cer0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    MN/WI
    Posts
    14,005
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluprint View Post
    Okay I get your point however most people do drive everyday and not just to work. During the weekdays I sometimes drive to the gym, the pool, the park, another house, a store, the bank, and lastly back home after BK. I also work and pick up my son from school so driving for an hour on a weekday is typical. Now during the weekends, that's a whole other story. I could consume data by checking or going to the beach, mall, theaters, restaurant, etc. I could be looking for directions for a new party, club, or strip. At the end of the night sure I will always have wifi but it's going to take a whole lot of discipline to not go over 200 mb.
    Then the unlimited plan that you will be grandfathered into will be perfect. I agree though with the idea of new customers not having the option though. Actually after this announcement I decided not to get a iPad 3G for my birthday because it won't have unlimited plan. And my GF loves the ABC app and wants it for car rides anywhere. Looks like I will stick with my wifi iPad.

  4. #24
    Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In Michigan And Florida
    Posts
    6,533
    Thanks
    3,595
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

    ^ If you order the iPad 3G before the 7th you can get unlimited you know...

    "Always remember your special and unique!"

  5. #25
    Super Moderator Cer0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    MN/WI
    Posts
    14,005
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

    I know but I don't need the data all the time. Would mainly need it for when we travel. So that knocks the unlimited out right there because we will only use the data plan on a need to use basis which will most likely not be every month.

  6. #26
    What's Jailbreak? lerrysan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Arecibo, PR
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Has anyone thought about the fact that we might have OS 4.0 on Monday, since all this is happening on Monday!?!?!

  7. #27
    Super Moderator Cer0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    MN/WI
    Posts
    14,005
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

    I would guess more of on tuesday if at all next week. What was the release date of the other OS versions? Isn't the pattern for the OSX updates on tuesdays too; well mostly?

  8. #28
    Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In Michigan And Florida
    Posts
    6,533
    Thanks
    3,595
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    I know but I don't need the data all the time. Would mainly need it for when we travel. So that knocks the unlimited out right there because we will only use the data plan on a need to use basis which will most likely not be every month.
    I can understand what you mean as for needing it for when you travel. I am trying to decide right this minute to buy the iPad 3G. Last week I went with the hubby to his pool tournament and took my wifi with me. Everyone around me went crazy and wanted to see my iPad. However a few asked me about a few things that I would have needed to access the internet and I could not. And of course there was no wifi around...

    So since I already experienced that I needed internet with it I think I am going to order the 3G so I can get unlimited.

    I usually would only need it for traveling and such but if I am going to be forced to buy the 3G before the 7th to get the unlimited data I am going to take my iPad 3G every where I go.... and I will be using it as well and will let others play on it to!

    "Always remember your special and unique!"

  9. #29
    Super Moderator Cer0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    MN/WI
    Posts
    14,005
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

    Plus you travel with the seasons too right?

  10. #30
    iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    198
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts

    Why not just get the att myaccount app? It tells you all the data you've used that month so far

  11. #31
    Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In Michigan And Florida
    Posts
    6,533
    Thanks
    3,595
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    Plus you travel with the seasons too right?
    Yeah I travel with the seasons... I wanted to buy the iPad 3G but at&t service was bad in Florida this year (matter of fact two new towers are up around my area down there and will be working in July) and we did not have 3G where I live in Michigan when I left in Oct to go to Florida so that is why I did not get the 3G when it first came out.

    In Florida they should have it all fixed by the time I go back and low and behold when I got back home in Michigan we now have 3G! So now I could use the iPad 3G.

    The worst thing is now I will have both iPads... and I don't need two so if I get the 3G because of all of this I will probably sell my wifi iPad...

    "Always remember your special and unique!"

  12. #32
    iPhone? More like MyPhone BEEKS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    105
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    1. I love my iPhone
    2. I realize that they're advantages and disadvantages to every situation

    BUT....I think I'm over At&T coupled with Apple on this win/lose strategy of theirs man. It all becomes an increasingly difficult pill to swallow as time goes by and Apple gives us innovation while AT&T give us deprivation.

    Sorry about the rant, but I just think we have and continue to be put through the ringer by being iPhone citizens on AT&T. smh. Thanks for listening.....

  13. #33
    What's Jailbreak? iphnblues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mobile , Alabama
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts

    seems like people forget that the unlimited plan with att isnt unlimited it has a 5GB cap and has been like that ever since ive had my iphone which has been around 3 years if u read ur contract it says it in there

  14. #34
    Super Moderator Cer0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    MN/WI
    Posts
    14,005
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

    Correct but ATT has yet to enforce that rule though.

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

    dooge (06-04-2010), iphnblues (06-04-2010), thetoothfairy (06-04-2010)

  16. #35
    Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In Michigan And Florida
    Posts
    6,533
    Thanks
    3,595
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

    ^ GREAT comment Cerote! I couldn't have said it better!

    "Always remember your special and unique!"

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

    iphnblues (06-04-2010)

  18. #36
    iPhone? More like MyPhone BEEKS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    105
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    @iphnblues:
    I don't thing anybody forgot. It's the fact that they've removed the option......in the interest of what? Why not instead say to the consumers we've added this tiered data pricing in the interest of our customers who use less data (thereby not being forced to pay $30 p/m for data they don't use)
    But also will now be enforcing the 5GB limit on iPhone/iPad users for the same price which will include tethering.
    How would that have put AT&T at a disadvantage?
    Last edited by BEEKS; 06-04-2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: no need to quote myself, lol

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BEEKS For This Useful Post:

    iphnblues (06-04-2010), thetoothfairy (06-05-2010)

  20. #37
    What's Jailbreak? iphnblues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mobile , Alabama
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts

    sry guys i didn't mean to type that with that attitude yall are very right and i do agree with most of u i was just bringing that up lol

  21. #38
    Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In Michigan And Florida
    Posts
    6,533
    Thanks
    3,595
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

    ^ np.... I did not take it like you were being a smart a**

    Quote Originally Posted by BEEKS View Post
    @iphnblues:
    I don't thing anybody forgot. It's the fact that they've removed the option......in the interest of what? Why not instead say to the consumers we've added this tiered data pricing in the interest of our customers who use less data (thereby not being forced to pay $30 p/m for data they don't use)
    But also will now be enforcing the 5GB limit on iPhone/iPad users for the same price which will include tethering.
    How would that have put AT&T at a disadvantage?
    You know I have never hardly ever used much data since I bought the first iPhone but I like the fact that if I want to use the data it is there and unlimited. There is nothing I hate more than worrying if I go over etc....

    But you have a good point by stating it this way it would have been a polite way of putting it and I think people would have understood it better. Also they should have explained in detail their plans and put it on their site for all to read.
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 06-04-2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

    "Always remember your special and unique!"

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

    iphnblues (06-04-2010)

  23. #39
    iPhone? More like MyPhone BEEKS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    105
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    @thetoothfairy yeah.....I think it would have softened the blow to us "heavy"/potential "heavy" users a bit you know?
    But I agree with you, unlimited is always best option to have there....especially truly unlimited. None of this kinda sorta, fine print ish.

    Anyway back on on topic.....thnx for the heads up on the data calculator. New iPad users for sure will find this the most useful
    Last edited by BEEKS; 06-04-2010 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  24. #40
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    sign into your AT&T account, go to the bottom right and click view past data. a bar graph will show up with your past few months of data usage. a lot easier then trying to predict your future usage. obviously new customers can't do this and current customers are grandfathered in
    Last edited by Tedomcmillan; 06-05-2010 at 01:27 AM.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts