+ Reply
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New AT&T Plans Called "Bait-and-Switch"

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I don't understand the complaints... If you are one of the people who have gotten use to unlimited data, then you can keep it. This only affects new users. I
    iPhone? More like MyPhone nrowensby's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't understand the complaints... If you are one of the people who have gotten use to unlimited data, then you can keep it. This only affects new users. I could see people getting pissed if they changed all our unlimited plans to 2GB plans, but they aren't.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nrowensby For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (06-03-2010), rkswat (06-04-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey OP, feel free to add these points to your smear OP:

-this change will LOWER THE BILL TO OVER 90% OF IPHONE USERS

-VZW, the other company people seem to want the iPhone in, also charges a "premium" for tethering. In fact, paying extra for tethering on smartphone plans has been a standard in US for years. YEARS.

- The reception on this very forum has been positive since people have taken the whole 2 minutes to check their usage and see that gosh darn it that new 2GB is a pretty good spot that saves money to most "power users" and saves even more money to those that are in wifi heavy areas and use less than the now cheapest tier.

- the ONLY people that will negatively be affected by this make up a grand total of TWO PERCENT of all iPhone users. Two. That's a 2.

Except no it won't since AT&T isn't forcing you to switch to these plans.

I love this site to death but these sensasionalist articles are the kind of garbage I expect to read in some kids blog, not MMI.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

darwina (06-03-2010), rkswat (06-04-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone nrowensby's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nhstunner View Post
    It will last as long as your contract does. But I do hope you were planning on skipping the new iPhone, getting it will create a new 2 year agreement & you will lose your "unlimited". I had planned on getting the new iPhone (as I am up for a new phone 6.29) but will now skip, rather have my unlimited until Feb.
    IDK about this... Shortly after I switched from SunCom to AT&T, AT&T killed the rate plan I originally signed my first AT&T contract with, but I was grandfathered. They let me keep that plan over 2 contract renewals until I finally changed my plan. I think, as long as you don't change your plan, you will be fine. Just from what I have seen AT&T do with me in the past.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I hope you realize that is measured in MB (megabyte) not GB. You have not even come close to using to 2GB.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The only people who really have a legitimate beef here are people that want to tether. If you already have an iphone on unlimited data, you can keep unlimited data. And you can also upgrade to the new iphone and keep your unlimited data. So unless you want to tether, none of this in any way affects you.

Tethering on the other hand is where the bs comes in. In order to tether, you have to pick one of the new plans and pay $20 for the right to tether. No extra data allowance is given and they take away your unlimited data. That's what is bullsh*t. The AT&T guy was quoted saying that tetherers use more data so they get charged more. Well no sh*t, but if you're going to charge them more, you have to give them more data. $20 just for the right with no extra data is horsesh*t. You can't say they use more data so we are going to charge them more, but not give them any more data.
    Last edited by Jasper44; 06-03-2010 at 02:47 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jasper44 For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (06-03-2010), rkswat (06-04-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Everyone does realize this isn't just iPhone data plans. This is for all smartphones.
    That said I wonder if we still get unlimited visual voicemail?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickybobby View Post
    how the hell do you use 14gb a month
    14GB is a light month for me, I'm rarely near wifi, and i'm constantly streaming media around the clock, be it music, videos, podcasts, I'm a heavy user using the iPhone to it's maximum capabilities, I've never gotten this kind of user experience from any carrier or phone, so I stand by it 100%.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickybobby View Post
    how the hell do you use 14gb a month
    14MB not 14GB

iPhone? More like MyPhone j.eck.art.3d's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nhstunner View Post
    It will last as long as your contract does. But I do hope you were planning on skipping the new iPhone, getting it will create a new 2 year agreement & you will lose your "unlimited". I had planned on getting the new iPhone (as I am up for a new phone 6.29) but will now skip, rather have my unlimited until Feb.
    Where did you hear this from? (losing the unlimited data if you sign a new contract) I read that AT&T specifically said that you will NOT lose the unlimited data if you sign a new contract. Basically, what I read from AT&T on other sites is that as long as your AT&T service is uninterrupted (and they don't change their minds about this whole grandfather thing) you will keep you unlimited data plan at $30/month.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is true...you can upgrade your phone a million times so long as you don't change your phone plan. ATT customer service manager I spoke with confirmed this...keep you plan and don't change it and your unlimited data stays. Change your plan and loose it. Upgrading to different phones doesn't matter or change your unlimited data...

Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I would consider myself a heavy iPhone user but I have never really tracked how much data I use month to month. I'm curious how many hours of music/video streaming equate to 2GB... anyone have the math?
    If you call (not text) *data# they will send you a text message with your data usage.

iPhone? More like MyPhone one_crazy_dude's Avatar
    Thanks

me to. i thought oi used more than this.

Last edited by one_crazy_dude; 06-03-2010 at 03:02 PM. Reason: erased my ph#

iPhone? More like MyPhone wannagotopopeyes's Avatar
    Thanks

Is there no way to buy the new phone "contract-free" at the $500 or $600 price like before? Or will they release that option later near the end of summer/fall do you think?
    i LOVE apple.

Thanks

charlie brown was my school play, i was linus
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bbiphone1 View Post
    14mb not 14gb
    14,123mb = ~14gb

My iPhone is a Part of Me DJM AutoWerkz's Avatar
    Thanks

Like I said before everyone signup before June 7 so your in on the unlimited plan u have 30 days to take the 3gs back and exchange it for the new iPhone that way your still on the unlimited plan.

Thanks

I dont see what the big fuss is anyway most of us have unlimited, and unless you changed your plan your straight. I was told as long as you upgrade or change to another smartphone your fine, and for tethering i'm sure alot of us know what mywi is so stop bitchin.
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

22. The Following User Says Thank You to rickybobby For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (06-03-2010)

Thanks
    I used 13 gb last month in about 4 days of usage. I average about 10 a month for no more than 5 days of use so I'm Thinking I'll be keep mine exactly how it is... LOLZ
    Last edited by tytyson; 06-03-2010 at 03:21 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cokeman View Post
    everyone does realize this isn't just iphone data plans. This is for all smartphones.
    That said i wonder if we still get unlimited visual voicemail?
    Its only for all smartphones because they can't just single out the iphone so they made it general thats what its really about. They messed up saying they can handle all of the bandwidth and they cant so this is a way of solving it without doing actual work to the network.
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS