Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon: No iPhone "In the Immediate Future"

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Verizon: No iPhone "In the Immediate Future"

The news of a Verizon spokesperson's flat statement that the carrier has "no plans to carry the iPhone in the immediate future" has been met with a mix of disappointment and frustration. Disappointment, because many had been hoping for a CDMA iPhone at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference, a possibility that looks as if it's been definitively quashed. Frustration because there's about a mile of wiggle room in the phrase "immediate future." Horizons are very short in the tech world, and "immediate" could mean anything from a month to a year or more. Bottom line: the Verizon iPhone rumors may never die.

Reports/rumors in recent months had converged on a fairly consistent set of possibilities. First, that Apple was working on a CDMA2000 phone at all. Daring Fireball's John Gruber, whose Apple sources are top-level and who is usually the first to pour cold water on most rumors, maintains that Apple has had a CDMA "skunkworks" inside the company from the very beginning. Second, that any CDMA iPhone wouldn't make an appearance until the end of this year or even early 2011. Even the Wall Street Journal and Fortune Magazine jumped on the Digitimes report that Apple had placed an order with Pegatron for 10 million CDMA iPhones, with Cupertino money starting to roll in by "August or September." That would put the phone on track for delivery around the holiday season.

John Johnson, the Verizon spokesman, pivots smoothly in the interview from dismissing the iPhone rumors to loudly singing the praises of Android. The carrier now offers five Android phones, including the highly-regarded HTC Incredible, and plans to add more to its line. Some pundits have attributed Verizon's very public embrace of Android as a sharp stick in the eye of Steve Jobs, as long-rumored negotiations between Apple and the largest wireless carrier in the US continue.

Jobs himself noted at the D8 conference earlier this week that "there might be" a possibility of additional US carriers for the iPhone. However - in a statement oddly parallel to Verizon's announcement - added that "the future is long. I canít talk about that stuff."

And the rumor mill churns on.

I knew it wasn't coming out anytime soon!

Now let us never speak of it again

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (06-03-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

What? I am blown away by this announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Now let us never speak of it again
    That's like asking for people to stop whining about flash!
    Last edited by sziklassy; 06-03-2010 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (06-03-2010)

lol...it's about time. Even the verizon people were getting pissed at the bullterd rumors....I dunno I hear an exclusivity contract until 2012 can stick in the courtroom if need be

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

i love att. screw verizon

9. The Following User Says Thank You to johnr9412 For This Useful Post:

Chase817 (06-03-2010)

this still doesnt mean there wont be a holiday release of a verizon iPhone, and maybe Sprint is the one getting the iPhone before Verizon a lot of stuff can happen between now and the end of the year. Heck immediate future could be till next week. so keep all the speculations rolling. I dont care either way cause im sticking with AT&T and my unlimited data plan lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default That's a shocker...
    Quote Originally Posted by johnr9412 View Post
    i love att. screw verizon
    Even with the new data plan and their new upright ridiculous cancelation fee?

Like Verizon is the only other carrier. Geez!!!! Screw Verizon. I hope Sprint gets it. They deserve a boost in Sales. Or even T-mobile. I might even jump ship to Sprint, or tmobile if they came out with a iphone model that has 3g in their band. With AT&T getting rid of their Unlimited Data, and increasing the ETF's. Luckaly as a current customer, I am unaffected so far, Makes me wonder what is down the pipe for me.

I had better service with Sprint, and would go back in a heartbeat if they got the iphone. I may check out the EVO 4G. Might be worth e-baying my 3gs, and paying my ETF, which should be somewhere around $80 with it prorated and all.

Quote Originally Posted by lazybearkhoa View Post
    That only effects NEW customers
    Last edited by jaminmc; 06-03-2010 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

the new data plan is for people who want AT&T tethering or for people who want their data plan cheaper or for new data plan people. People who already have iPhones can keep their unlimited data plan jailbreak and use pdanet or another tether program from the jailbreak community

F verizon i love at&t,cdma garbage who use that shaat still lol?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to zozodouce For This Useful Post:

Chase817 (06-03-2010)

If the iPhone is eventually coming to Verizon (like when that exclusivity contract ends with ATT) it'd be a smart move not to announce it so far ahead. Too many Verizon customers would stick with their current phone and contract waiting or the new phone and people would hold off on switching to Verizon until the CDMA iPhone is released.

Basically Verizon would have a slow down in people signing contracts with them until the phone arrives. I think they'd rather keep their quarterly revenue up.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I called this earlier in the year and said you won't see this years iPhone released on Verizon however the next gen one that comes out in 2011 may be a hybrid CDMA/GSM chip so it could have that possiblity.

Also, when Verizon battled with ads aimed right at the iPhone, you knew it wasn't gonna happen this year. They have backed Google with their phones and becoming a large Android carrier and really boosted their platform. I think you may see it on Sprint and TMo before you see it on Verizon to be honest.

Thanks

oh its about time, now everybody shut the hell up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    this still doesnt mean there wont be a holiday release of a verizon iPhone
    Besides the legally binding contract lasting until 2012 which would cost Apple an extraordinary amount of money if they ever broke, Apple has never (to my knowledge) broken their once a year release cycle. It would seem highly unlikely for them to just launch another version of the iPhone at a different point during the year.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaminmc View Post
    I hope Sprint gets it. They deserve a boost in Sales. Or even T-mobile. I might even jump ship to Sprint, or tmobile if they came out with a iphone model that has 3g in their band.
    TMO would definitely be the company I would go to. Fantastic customer service. Problem is, their coverage is dismal at best.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

im not gonna cancel, and i dont use over 2GB a month. so yes even with that too

iPhone? More like MyPhone CMOSlabs's Avatar
    Thanks

Why would people want to take a step back in technology and go to CDMA ?
    80% of the world is GSM. I had a bad experience with Verizon, and like some of my ex girlfriends, I never want to see them again.

I would think Tmobile would be the choice. I know about 300 of my customers are enjoying Tmobile with there iPhones. Although they have to use edge for there data, but their happy Once the unlock is out for the 3.1.3 or 4.0 there is a way to cut down a Tmobile sim to use with the new iPhone and iPad. Should be fun !!
    Last edited by CMOSlabs; 06-03-2010 at 10:41 AM. Reason: More Data

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

no ipad and no iphone. thank god hype is over it was annoying.

but how come tmobile is not doing anything ipad and iphone on tmobile and 3G. ahh am dreaming tmobile is too cheap

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

No one cares. Move on...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast