+ Reply
Page 1 of 13 123 11 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No more unlimited data plans for new AT&T customers

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Starting June 7th new AT&T subscibers will no longer have the option for an unlimited data plan. Instead you will have a $15/month option for 200MB of data or $25
    Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Default No more unlimited data plans for new AT&T customers

Starting June 7th new AT&T subscibers will no longer have the option for an unlimited data plan. Instead you will have a $15/month option for 200MB of data or $25 for 2GB of data. These two plans encompass 98% of all existing users; however, the small percentage of users who use more than the allotted 2GB will have to pay an additional $10 per GB. New iPad users are also affected and only have the option of $25 for 2GB of data.

Existing customers will be able to keep their unlimited plans and be "grandfathered" in. For many users that love their smartphones but don't use much data this is a huge cost savings and long awaited. AT&T has stated that the top 3% of data users consume 40% of network bandwidth so they are hoping this will curb usage and put less stress on the network.

On another note... AT&T has announced the introduction of tethering!! It will be available starting June 7th for an additional $20 per month.

Via WSJ
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 06-02-2010 at 08:44 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Freerunnering (06-03-2010), reaves205 (06-02-2010), tecpunk64 (06-03-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Ahh tethering, I love MyWi

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pntbllfrk For This Useful Post:

rockness724 (06-02-2010)

Thanks

...2GB?!?!

Looks like im switching to Verizon, they probably will have a 5GB limit.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

sory new customers,more bandwidth for me to use on my ipad with mywi and slingplayer hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Retracted
    Last edited by Oddphone; 06-02-2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: stupidity

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think this is a great option for a majority of the market

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Jeeze... most months I am around 2-3 GB but when I travel I take advantage of streaming music using app store applications and do a lot of email and web browsing for stuff. This is really making me think I may go back to Verizon if they start this crap.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pntbllfrk View Post
    Ahh tethering, I love MyWi
    Mee Tooo

Hopefully MyWi is allowed on the App Store. I will pay the "extra $20" or really extra $15 for 2Gb and Tethering rather than Jailbreak.

I have everything I wanted via Jailbreak, and now can have it via 4.0:
    Tethering
    Multiple Exchange Accounts
    App Folders

I'm good to go June 7th!!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Pay an extra $20 to tether with the 2G that you are getting? I mean really - give at LEAST another gig or two for your $20. That's crazy...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I actually agree with this whole heartedly. even with streaming music via orb to my phone for 2 hours a day while traveling to work, I dont think my usage ever topped 2 GB. Its about time the the heaviest users paid the heaviest prices. Its only fair.

This might make me reconsider buying my wife an iPhone, she would be fine with 15 dollars a month for a data plan. I always held off on it because I refused to pay 30 bucks for a person who would use 5-10 percent of what was available to her.

As for me, I'll probably stick to my HD2 and wait for the Android port.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Considering this is going to lower (even if it's a bit) the bill on like 95% of us, this is awesome news.

For you greedy power bandwitdth hogging users, well now you pay for what you use.

Also, this only applies to anyone getting the 4th gen phone. If you dont uograde kr change your plan you can keep the current plan.

Thanks

So question comes in, what is the average data usage for a daily user. Im talking just loading up twitter apps, maybe an ebay app, and casual internet browsing?

I haven't a clue. I might even switch to AT&T so I can finally have 3G ^_^

Green Apple
    Thanks

I knew the rate plans wouldn't last long when apple unveiled the ipad. Apple should invest money into AT&T's networks to make them better, but we all know that would never happen though. I guess AT&T is expecting alot of customrs to leave to other carriers when others are available and they have to find a way to make up for that loss so they created the new data plans. I can't wait for the new unlock so I can go to tmobile or he'll even Verizon when and if that option os ever availabe. I hate AT&T with a passion and now this just adds more fuel to the fire. I was looking to get an ipad next week and have been wanting one since the rumors about it but now I guess I'll have to wait longer. I refuse to support AT&T anymore and the sooner I can get away from them the better.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    Jeeze... most months I am around 2-3 GB but when I travel I take advantage of streaming music using app store applications and do a lot of email and web browsing for stuff. This is really making me think I may go back to Verizon if they start this crap.
    dude existing customers are not affected by this,only new new customers you need to read it again lol.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is the dumbest thing they ever done....well second the termination fees going up is the dumbest

Thanks

LMAO

You wanted teth you got it. The catch EVERYONE ELSE is getting a lower data cap.

Thank you Cry Babies.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I wonder if AT&T will allow customers to go from unlimited plan to the limited plan back to the unlimited plan....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nightdrangon View Post
    This is the dumbest thing they ever done....well second the termination fees going up is the dumbest
    ETF going up, yes. Being smarter with their pricing plans to give non bandwidth hacking whores a fair deal, good.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie6801 View Post
    I wonder if AT&T will allow customers to go from unlimited plan to the limited plan back to the unlimited plan....
    That is highly unlikely. This is like when TMO did their Evenmore plans and I still had Fav 5, once I switched, I lose it for good.
    Last edited by corkey20000; 06-02-2010 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

They should still have an unlimited option, but I would be buying a 200mb plan because my cell plan is already $100+ for just talking.

Twitter: @tshoults

Thanks

This is with any new contract right? So if you get the 4g and sign a new contract your essentially a new customer and you will be held to the new pricing. Is this correct?