+ Reply
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No more unlimited data plans for new AT&T customers

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Once AT&T officially allows tethering will I have to pay for this service if I am currently tethering for free? Thanks
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Will I loose my current ability to tether?
    Once AT&T officially allows tethering will I have to pay for this service if I am currently tethering for free?

Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone nrowensby's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    There won't be unlimited again. Once you switch that's it, you won't be able to get the unlimited plan again until AT&T brings it back (if they ever do)
    Yep... The current unlimited plans are being grandfathered in.... That will no longer be an option.

Thanks

I concur with MP3Supply. I've been with At&t for QUITE sometime. I've checked my data usage an it's @ around 197. Either way I don't have to worry bout this New Data plan Since I'm LOCKED into my UNLIMITED POWER!!!Data plan, an the tethering...well I've been doing THAT..since I've had a 3G,oh sorry my Iphone is JB so now that I have a 3GS...I used pdanet but EITHER way I'm still not going to have too switch my data plan EVEN when I buy the 4G. So with THAT in mind...life will be good for me.
    It is Not by our Hands that things Change, BUT rather our Interventions that change ourselves.

Chris iPhone5 16GB(Evasion Jailbreak
    iPad Mini 16GB, Apple TV 3rd Gen
    )
    Mac Mini (2012 Model) Running Mavericks
    Cydia Account #895872

iPhone? More like MyPhone kingchkn's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok, to outline (as this has been done before) if you CURRENTLY have an iPhone then you can KEEP your unlimited plan OR give it up and down grade to a $15 or $25 plan giving up your unlimited. (Which for $5, I'll keep my unlimited) EVEN if you upgrade to the new 4G, iPhone HD or whatever the hell they call it, your plan will NOT change.

If you are a current iPhone user AND want to tether, you will pay an ADDITIONAL $20 for that option, UNLESS you are jailbroken, then you continue to use whatever you have been using and do not incur that fee.

So in short, everyone who already has an iPhone should keep their current plan (unless you have a damn good reason to down grade) and jailbreak it leaving the tethering option open for the future.

I was wishing I could write this in crayon as some people just don't understand! Sorry for the yelling but it really is a very simple concept. Some of these questions scare me.

Thanks

LOL..it's ok..You should see the At&t Fan page on FB. I've been saying the SAME thing OVER n OVER..but it's like people DON'T wanna hear it. They just wanna use this reason to complain an Switch too OTHER carriers..lmao.
    It is Not by our Hands that things Change, BUT rather our Interventions that change ourselves.

Chris iPhone5 16GB(Evasion Jailbreak
    iPad Mini 16GB, Apple TV 3rd Gen
    )
    Mac Mini (2012 Model) Running Mavericks
    Cydia Account #895872

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

got a question:

so if i get an iPhone tommorrow and set up unlimited data ($30 a month), then i can be "grandfathered" for new iPhone and keep unlimited data?

Thanks

Yes. It only affects new smartphone customers on and after June 7th. Anyone who has the unlimited $30 plan BEFORE midnight on the 6th of June will be able to keep the plan.

Now that said, if you purchase a new iPhone now you will lock into a new 2yr contract thus negating your ability to upgrade to the new phone when (if) it gets announced next week.

Unless you want to pay the full price which could be upwards of $600 (I'm guessing). People who are willing to shell that out for a phone really relinguish the right to complain about paying overages as they can afford the non contrated price of the phone.

Now serving number 54!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes. It only affects new smartphone customers on and after June 7th. Anyone who has the unlimited $30 plan BEFORE midnight on the 6th of June will be able to keep the plan.

Now that said, if you purchase a new iPhone now you will lock into a new 2yr contract thus negating your ability to upgrade to the new phone when (if) it gets announced next week.

Unless you want to pay the full price which could be upwards of $600 (I'm guessing). People who are willing to shell that out for a phone really relinguish the right to complain about paying overages as they can afford the non contrated price of the phone.

its okay as long as i buy it from my friend, correct?...b/c im sure i have the option to upgrade next month

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mp3Supply View Post
    If you already have a unlimited data plan and are an AT&T customer you dont need to buy the phone at regular price.. you just upgrade and it will NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT change your unlimited plan...

its been stated over and over and over and over and over and over again..

Those current on AT&T unlimited data plans are GRANDFATHERED in and an UPGRADE will NOT change this... only NEW NEW NEW (Did i meantion NEWWWWWWWWWW) customers will not have the unlimited option..
    I'm glad someone has posted this message again since some people still think that if they upgrade to the new phone they will lose their unlimited data plan.

Here is a twist to this question though. I don't plan on getting the new phone released this year and will wait for next years phone (If Apple keeps going the way they have since the iPhone was first introduced to the world, a new phone will be here around this time in 2011). Lets say I get that phone, I wonder if AT&T will still honor the "Grandfathered" data plans?
    "Once is an accident, Twice is a trend, Three times is evidence."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nyrajputz View Post
    its okay as long as i buy it from my friend, correct?...b/c im sure i have the option to upgrade next month
    Yes. As long as you don't alter your contract you can buy as many phones as you want from a third party as long as you never upgrade through ATT you're ok.

Ninth, I doubt it. They would be in breach of contract. They would have to provide prior written notice that they are doing away with that. I highly doubt that they want to provide an easy way out for anyone.

I know people that are using a 3GS on the original $20 data plan. They still haven't been told they need to change. I'm sure there will always be tiered people. 3 years from now when the new ATT people come on they'll be paying $50 for data when we're still at $30

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingchkn View Post

If you are a current iPhone user AND want to tether, you will pay an ADDITIONAL $20 for that option, UNLESS you are jailbroken, then you continue to use whatever you have been using and do not incur that fee.
    In the UK lots of people used to tether for free until the networks figured out how to charge for it - then some people got some hefty (ie £thousands) bills - people soon stopped.
    Although you can tether it is prohibited in your contracts and AT&T have the right to charge (I believe).

They might not, but I would not be surprised if they did at some point and you could be in for a very nasty shock.

I could be wrong, they may never catch you but if you check your agreement I think you'll find that they can charge you and just because they haven't yet doesn't mean they wont.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Even though i am grandfathered in, It still makes me nervous in the direction At&t is going, i get this bad taste in my mouth that down the road, They change the policy for us to.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

A change in policy is a change in contract. Some folks who have been with ATT when they were cingular still have cingular plans though ATT doesnt offer them anymore and/or changed their policy about plans. We'll be okay...

Thanks

Default Always something,,,,,
    Yes At&t probably knew they we're going to have a large number of people leaving them for other carrier;s so i believe thats why last month they implimented the early termination increase!! thats pretty sneaky..but im sure who ever came up with that plan got a nice $$ bonus!!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ErikJon View Post
    Yes At&t probably knew they we're going to have a large number of people leaving them for other carrier;s so i believe thats why last month they implimented the early termination increase!! thats pretty sneaky..but im sure who ever came up with that plan got a nice $$ bonus!!
    They did this to stop their loss when people activate an iPhone, drop it a month after, and come out ahead. You will not be able to do this anymore. Rightfully so, by the way.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If we have enabled tethering on our own and are not paying the $20 a month will AT&T hit us with all kinds of crazy charges? Or will it just look like we're using our data plan when we tether?

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Although it hasn't been mentioned by AT&T, it would not surprise me if they start taking a closer look into data usage to determine if people are tethering.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

That's a good point! I'm sure a lot of us would be screwed if they did some digging..

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Eh people have been tethering for years without hearing a peep regardless of carriers. Generally, if you stick within the boundaries set in your plan/features, you won't raise any flags.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

It's the 3% that are using 40% of the network bandwidth that they are trying to throttle back. In the process they are actually saving the other 97% of their customers quite a lot of money over a 24 month contract in some cases. This will also lure a lot of new customers who don't use data too much as they will be spending $360 less over the course of their contract on the $15 data plan. This essentially pays for their iPhone
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]