+ Reply
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No more unlimited data plans for new AT&T customers

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by kraziebone ^that's true but keep in mind if you update to a tethering plan you will not be able to keep a unlimited data plan even if
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kraziebone View Post
    ^that's true but keep in mind if you update to a tethering plan you will not be able to keep a unlimited data plan even if you use one now
    Correct, so don't buy a tethering plan buy MyWi and keep your unlimited plan

Green Apple
    Thanks

Im in a pickle... I running a 2g iPhone on t-mobile and for the last 2 months I've used about 440mb. I'm thinking of moving over to AT&T soon for the 4g so I can use 3g, so I think what I use a month will go up. If I sign up today with AT&T can I get the unlimited and keep it when I get the 4g?

iPhone? More like MyPhone kingchkn's Avatar
    Thanks

What I find interesting is that if you have an iPhone (jailbroken) or even not, why bother paying extra for a 3G iPad? You can simply tether to your phone. If you don't have a jailbroken one you can just grab the tethering and it's still cheaper than the proposed AT&T plan. Or am I missing something? I mean how often are you not in possession of both?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oddphone View Post
    Take a closer look.....25 for 2gb
    35 for 3gb
    45 for 4gb
    55 for 5gb
    65 for 6gb
    Really, nothing has changed. Except you will not be charged for what you don't use. Why would you switch to Verizon because of this? Iphone was never unlimited(5gb cap).I believe this is much cheaper than the overage on the old iphone plan-wasn't something like 5 cents a mb?(smartphone rate is .0002 per kb)This equals about $50.00 a gb over 5gb ? PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG.On the other hand now at&t will have a base iphone plan around $60/month....that alone gives another 10 million sales.They may now allow official tethering...maybe.They gave this in return for their new $375 ETF? I'll take it. But then again, a 2mp camera will throw some data at those cell towers. Now I will not buy a ipad 3g. And ZoZodouche, since those first ipads are no contract either, don't lax on your monthlies because if you do you are than subject like the rest of us.Only if you keep paying you'll be grandfathered. Great "No Contract" huh.
    I currently pay $30/mo for 'unlimited data' this is NOT 5GB. There happens to be 5 iPhones on my family plan, all using over 5GB each and every month. I average 10-20GB a month on my iPhone. I dont do anything id consider 'excessive'. I had a peak at 31GB one month, but I was somewhat trying to see how much I could use that month. Never had a single issue with ATT regarding the data use, even with a family plan using upwards of 100GB some months.

The simple fact that they charge me more the more I use I do not like. There is absolutely no reason anyone should consider this to be good, or welcome it. I dont know a single person who uses less than 2GB a month on a iPhone, including a 63 year old coworker. The problem is, this is only the beginning, it wont get better.

Thanks

Look at the copy of the bill I posted, I use 21GB myself an the other line i have uses 8gb a month...I don't see no 5gb cap there

But I think Att is doing this since the iPhone is going on other carriers soon...so it's ooovvvveeeerrrrrr lol
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oddphone View Post
    Take a closer look.....25 for 2gb
    35 for 3gb
    45 for 4gb
    55 for 5gb
    65 for 6gb
    Really, nothing has changed. Except you will not be charged for what you don't use. Why would you switch to Verizon because of this? Iphone was never unlimited(5gb cap).I believe this is much cheaper than the overage on the old iphone plan-wasn't something like 5 cents a mb?(smartphone rate is .0002 per kb)This equals about $50.00 a gb over 5gb ? PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG.On the other hand now at&t will have a base iphone plan around $60/month....that alone gives another 10 million sales.They may now allow official tethering...maybe.They gave this in return for their new $375 ETF? I'll take it. But then again, a 2mp camera will throw some data at those cell towers. Now I will not buy a ipad 3g. And ZoZodouche, since those first ipads are no contract either, don't lax on your monthlies because if you do you are than subject like the rest of us.Only if you keep paying you'll be grandfathered. Great "No Contract" huh.
    Actually it's 5gb right now for a $30 vs your $55 for 5gb. Sooo... yeah it's a big difference. $15 more for data is a bit much for me but hey i'm already on $30 so I'm good.

Quote Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK View Post
    I currently pay $30/mo for 'unlimited data' this is NOT 5GB. There happens to be 5 iPhones on my family plan, all using over 5GB each and every month. I average 10-20GB a month on my iPhone. I dont do anything id consider 'excessive'. I had a peak at 31GB one month, but I was somewhat trying to see how much I could use that month. Never had a single issue with ATT regarding the data use, even with a family plan using upwards of 100GB some months.

The simple fact that they charge me more the more I use I do not like. There is absolutely no reason anyone should consider this to be good, or welcome it. I dont know a single person who uses less than 2GB a month on a iPhone, including a 63 year old coworker. The problem is, this is only the beginning, it wont get better.
    You're an existing customer. This is only for new customers.

Quote Originally Posted by phasetoo View Post
    Im in a pickle... I running a 2g iPhone on t-mobile and for the last 2 months I've used about 440mb. I'm thinking of moving over to AT&T soon for the 4g so I can use 3g, so I think what I use a month will go up. If I sign up today with AT&T can I get the unlimited and keep it when I get the 4g?
    I think so. I think it starts Jan 7th. But you would have to get an iPhone 3g of course
    Last edited by hollow0; 06-02-2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phasetoo View Post
    From my understanding with the AT&T service rep that is correct. it's only after the 7th you wont be able to get the unlimited plan Since you already have a iPhone a new contract with them now shouldn't affect your ability to get the new phone at the better price. A friend of mine got a 3G off ebay a few months ago they gave him some hassle about starting a contract without buying a phone from them but he's still going to be able to upgrade when the new phone comes out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    You're an existing customer. This is only for new customers.
    Luckily they are letting us keep the unlimited even when we are basically forced to get a new iPhone the day Steve releases it...

As painfully flawed my iPhone 3GS is now that im used to the epic iPad battery life/display/speed, I would keep my current iPhone if they made me get a new 2GB cap data plan with the iPhone HD. To be honest, the single most important thing my iPhone does is provide me with 'unlimited' fast enough internet, almost everywhere I ever go. A 2GB cap makes the iPhone SIGNIFICANTLY less desirable to me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    Ooooo , damn I use a lot

That's 21.67642gb
    Wow WTF do you guys do to get such high usage? The max I had ever used was roughly over 5gb. Do you even have ISP for your home or is it through your phone???

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Ok I have read most of the replies but not all of them. Right now it is $30 a month for unlimited data. The most I have used was 450 MB in 1 month when our internet was down I tethered to the PC with PDAnet. I can save 15 dollars by dropping to the 200 Meg plan and pay $01 extra per gig, what if I only used 50 extra megs? would it be an extra 50 cents? Or will you get charged the entire 10 dollars for the gig? I would call ATT and ask but I dont want to mention tethering while jailbroken to them!

If I decided to tether again and go crazy with PDAnet or something 3rd party will my "unlimited" plan still be in effect?

Thanks

Luckily they are letting us keep the unlimited even when we are basically forced to get a new iPhone the day Steve releases it...

As painfully flawed my iPhone 3GS is now that im used to the epic iPad battery life/display/speed, I would keep my current iPhone if they made me get a new 2GB cap data plan with the iPhone HD. To be honest, the single most important thing my iPhone does is provide me with 'unlimited' fast enough internet, almost everywhere I ever go. A 2GB cap makes the iPhone SIGNIFICANTLY less desirable to me.
    That's understandable but you have to remember it's still a phone and it can't match the battery life of an iPad which is much larger. So it's technically not flawed. Also, keep in mind the new iPhone will have a better battery life, display, and speed. And they better not change it on us or I'll be so pissed. I have 1.5gb usage right now and i've barely used it. If i even tried a little bit I'd go over the limit.

I'm watching you AT&T!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Da Wil-Man View Post
    Ok I have read most of the replies but not all of them. Right now it is $30 a month for unlimited data. The most I have used was 450 MB in 1 month when our internet was down I tethered to the PC with PDAnet. I can save 15 dollars by dropping to the 200 Meg plan and pay $01 extra per gig, what if I only used 50 extra megs? would it be an extra 50 cents? Or will you get charged the entire 10 dollars for the gig? I would call ATT and ask but I dont want to mention tethering while jailbroken to them!

If I decided to tether again and go crazy with PDAnet or something 3rd party will my "unlimited" plan still be in effect?
    Correct, its currently $30 a month for unlimited data, which is not available in the US anymore, on any carrier. Edge is painfully slow and useless, im sure you will use 1-2GB without noticing with 3G. If you have the new $25 2GB plan, you pay $10 for every additional 1GB. If you use 2.01GB, it costs $35...

I would find someone to borrow a 3G iPhone from, or maybie find one cheap right away. Start a new plan using the iPhone 3G you paid for, and upgrade when the iPhone HD comes out at normal price. Sell the iPhone 3G, and now you have a unlimited plan for as long as they let us keep it, at minimal cost.

Telling people they no longer have unlimited internet, and they pay if they use too much is going to scare a lot of people into finding ways to not use 3G. 2GB is a terribly low limit. I can understand a 5GB cap, that would cover most people. But 2GB? My friend used 6GB on his iPad 3G, and he barely uses it! Its not jailbroken, he dosent tether, he isnt trying to use lots of data...

If I were looking at a iPad 3G with the choices of 200MB or 2GB, I would walk away.
    Last edited by ZOMGVTEK; 06-02-2010 at 03:04 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Here goes ATT loosing customers how ****** of a company you must be to relieve stress of your network DID the network talk to them about being stressed stupid ATT, spend more money of making your internet sophisticated than you wont say stupid things like relieve stress. Tell your network to go see psychiatrist or something, stupid duche bags. And they need to know this is not the stone age. Am keeping my 3GS and my slow Edge from T-Mobile where I have unlimited internet.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you z3r01 for posting your usage, now i don't feel guilty at all.

I'll definitely be keeping my contract just the way it is. Thankfully though my work is getting free ATT wifi this month so I can just get everything off of it, I'll have to check and see how my bandwidth usage is affected then. Can we sell ATT accounts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No more unlimited data plans for new AT&T customers-untitled-2.jpg  

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Edge is painfully slow and useless, im sure you will use 1-2GB without noticing with 3G. If you have the new $25 2GB plan, you pay $10 for every additional 1GB. If you use 2.01GB, it costs $35...

EDGE MIGHT BE USELESS TO YOU BUT I FIND IT VERY USEFUL ON MY 3GS IT WORKS JUST FAST ENOUGH FORM ME FOR THE THINGS I NEED. BUT THAN AGAIN LAPTOPS AND WIFI'S ARE DESIGNED FOR HEAVY DUTY WORK YOU WANT YOUR IPHONE TO DO.

SPEND MORE TIME UNDER SIGNALS OF WIFI IT'LL BE MUCH HELPFUL TO YOU THAN MAKE SOMEBODY RICH PAYING FOR NOTHING, LIKE $25 FOR 2GB? R THEY SEROUS?

USE BOOST MOBILE GET URSELF BLACKBERRY THAN FOR $60 UNLIMITED EVERYTHING a MONTH YOU CAN KILL UR BLACKBERRY ASSIGNING IT HEAVY DUTY WORK, THAN SEE IF YOU WANT IPHONE WITH USELESS EDGE OR BOOST WITH THEY IDEN AND CDMA NEWORK.

Thanks

Delusion, I have no idea what it is you are trying to say.

I like my iPhone, I like ATT. In my experience, the network is fast, reliable, and I have 3G most anywhere I go. I can make my iPhone do most anything I would need to do on a portable device.

It takes several minutes to simply check my email accounts on edge, vs 20-30 seconds on 3G. I have it set to 5 mins to 'simulate' push, so EDGE is taxed continuously checking my email, making browsing uselessly slow. Sure, I could set it to a more reasonable 15 minutes, but then i'm compromising. This is unacceptable.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thank goodness on having unlimited still. I run about 2.75g a month.

Too bad they can't raise their cap a little more or you can't "negotiate" with someone and be like, "can my cap be X amount of gb to play the lower price since I consistently am in the Y g/month range."

Green Apple
    Thanks

Bad news it sucks

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I am at 3.6G as of today.
    so much for stream apps.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mmurphmsu's Avatar
    Thanks

I just looked at my AT&T family plan and have not gone over 1.3GB for the time period I looked at. Of course I used 1.3 the month we finally got 3G here in Wichita Falls, TX. My family plan has 4 iPhones and I am the highest user. Two I may switch over to the 200MB plan because they don't stream music like I do; they mainly use Facebook. So I may switch those to the 200MB plan and save $30 a month. And the other iPhone goes over the 200MB mark but not even close to the 2GB plan so I may switch that one to the 2GB and save me $5. I think i will just keep mine like it is cause when the new iPhone HD comes out I am sure I will use it more than my 3G.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No more unlimited data plans for new AT&T customers-chart.jpg  

+ Reply
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast