+ Reply
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No more unlimited data plans for new AT&T customers

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by kingchkn There is a thing on ATT's site that allows you to check your usage. I am on the fence as to whether or not it's worth
    My iPhone is a Part of Me tellytel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingchkn View Post
    There is a thing on ATT's site that allows you to check your usage. I am on the fence as to whether or not it's worth saving the $5 for me. I use more that 200 but way less that 2GB. Go to billing reports under Bill & Payments and you can create a custom report for usage. 90% of the time I'm on a WIFI network.
    where is this at? Im looking and i can only do it manually?

From the 2 months i looked i never went over 200mb. Might not be too bad.

iPhone? More like MyPhone NiteStar's Avatar
    Thanks

I checked my data usage for the last 3 months. I used about 300 mb, 500mb and 1GB. So I seem to fluctuate higher than 250 and less than 2GB, but I haven't used my phone to teher my laptop yet like I was planning on doing. I think I'll stick to unlimited for a while and see what I use after tethering.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tellytel's Avatar
    Thanks

whoops nm found it. Out of 8 months only went over 200 mb once. This is prolly better for those who have wifi at home. I know thats why my usage isnt as high as it should be.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Mega Maid (AT&T): "She's gone from suck to blow"
    Last edited by politicalslug; 06-02-2010 at 01:03 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NiteStar View Post
    I checked my data usage for the last 3 months. I used about 300 mb, 500mb and 1GB. So I seem to fluctuate higher than 250 and less than 2GB, but I haven't used my phone to teher my laptop yet like I was planning on doing. I think I'll stick to unlimited for a while and see what I use after tethering.
    You might want to read the data plan changes again.

If you want to tether* you have two options.

1. Jailbreak (highly recommended )
    2. Change to one of the new 200MB or 2GB cap data plans

*AT&T tethering is not an option for the grandfathered unlimited plans
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Green Apple
    Thanks

I guess all I need is 1 GB so this isn't that bad.

***Mod edit...removed phone number from pic***
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No more unlimited data plans for new AT&T customers-33ljl93.png  
    Last edited by soulthoughts; 06-02-2010 at 04:25 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

For those who are thinking about leaving...LEAVE!! Lol and since I assume your already an AT&T customer, I don't understand why you would consider leaving since it doesn't affect you.

I'm sorry, but I think some people here are idiots.

Thanks

Here's my data trend (attached).

I'm a power user, I check Cydia daily and download new Cydia crap almost daily, update my 100-some AppStore apps almost daily, and tether occasionally.

I tend to hover between .5 and 1.3 GB depending what I'm doing. The months when I restored my phone or bought a new one meant a lot more data usage while I was redownloading crap.. something to keep in mind. With as heavily as I use my phone, I'm super glad ATT made this 2GB and not 1GB.. then I really would have been on the fence. Think I may have just saved ~60.00 a year.

Will agree that the 200mb plan (just like their 200 TXT plan) is total BS. It's impossible to use that little with just an email account and some web browsing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No more unlimited data plans for new AT&T customers-datatrend.png  
    Last edited by reanimationxp; 06-02-2010 at 01:36 PM.
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

I've use around 3 to 6gb every single month for the passed year on my 3GS and my bill amount has ALWAYS been the same. I own no computer & have no wifi, I do everything on the Iphone. My bandwidth gets this high because I use apps like sligbox and 3g un-estrictor alot for many others. I will simply buy a laptop and my solution should be solved. I don't see how people here think apply is doing them a favor, my girlfriend uses 220mb a month by just using facebook! Smart move AT&T.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dthomp22 View Post
    I guess all I need is 1 GB so this isn't that bad. **Phone number removed**

Should I give you a call?

ITT: People accidentally posting their phone numbers.. lol
    Last edited by soulthoughts; 06-02-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Granted, not everyone pulls down 2gb a month, but going from the 5gb "unlimited" cap to this, for only 5 bucks cheeper? Come on! And who uses less than 200mb!? Seriously, they may as well get an iPod touch and a freebie phone if they're looking to save money. I know it's only for new customers, but yet again iPhone users are penalized compared to the rest of the smartphone community.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    Mega Maid (AT&T): "She's gone from suck to blow"
    Lmao
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Thanks

Good news and bad news

iPhone? More like MyPhone Doran's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post

Starting June 7th new AT&T subscibers will no longer have the option for an unlimited data plan. Instead you will have a $15/month option for 200MB of data or $25 for 2GB of data. These two plans encompass 98% of all existing users; however, the small percentage of users who use more than the allotted 2GB will have to pay an additional $10 per GB. New iPad users are also affected and only have the option of $25 for 2GB of data.

Existing customers will be able to keep their unlimited plans and be "grandfathered" in. For many users that love their smartphones but don't use much data this is a huge cost savings and long awaited. AT&T has stated that the top 3% of data users consume 40% of network bandwidth so they are hoping this will curb usage and put less stress on the network.

On another note... AT&T has announced the introduction of tethering!! It will be available starting June 7th for an additional $20 per month.

Via WSJ
    I believe you need to remind people here that if they are already paying the $30 a month for their data usage that they will not be required to change there data plan to the new one. I don't believe they know what "Grandfathered In" really means........ It has been stated in the replies more that a couple of times that, if you are an existing customer with the $30 unlimited iPhone data package, you will not be affected.

The 20th Member
    Thanks

boy am i glad i only pay 10 a month on my "unlimited". no matter what u end up paying more now its time to set my gf up with same thing before this kicks into effect
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    Once you purchase a product surely its up to you if you put it in a blender or drive over it in a car, what right do Apple have to stop us abusing our stuff? thats like saying you can't slap your girlfriend, she's your girlfriend, you own her, you can do what you want to her lol

Thanks

Ooooo , damn I use a lot

That's 21.67642gb
    Last edited by z3r01; 06-02-2010 at 02:03 PM.
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Thanks

Attn everyone:
    Don't QUOTE the first post.. ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyngabread Man View Post
    boy am i glad i only pay 10 a month on my "unlimited". no matter what u end up paying more now its time to set my gf up with same thing before this kicks into effect
    lolwut

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    Yes, you can continue paying $30/mo for your 5GB plan.

Really, I dunno why anybody is shocked or mad about this. Finally AT&T is no longer falsely advertising something they don't provide and NEVER HAVE - unlimited service.

Directly from AT&T's site - PLAN TERMS - Wireless from AT&T. Highlighting added by yours truly.

So go ahead, be mad, be pissed, bash AT&T like usual, threaten to jump ship to yet another wireless service provider that sells unlimited-but-not-really service. I say it's about damn time they stop the false advertisement.
    There is a very important part of that that's not in red - "provided that, prior to the imposition of any additional charges, AT&T shall provide you with notice and you shall have the right to terminate your Service." Do you really think AT&T is going to charge you for going over a couple hundred MB? Or even a couple GB? This is truly unlimited with an asterisks. AT&T doesn't want to lose you, especially since they'll forfeit their right to a cancellation fee. That means if there is a Verizon iPhone, goodbye AT&T if they try to charge extra. Believe me, AT&T won't charge you more for overages of 5GB on the unlimited plan because they'll risk you leaving them.

This is my data usage last month. Notice that there is no overage charges and I have gone over a couple times:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No more unlimited data plans for new AT&T customers-capturegraph.png  
    Last edited by kraziebone; 06-02-2010 at 06:14 PM.

Thanks

After reading this everyone is back and forth on the answers so I called AT&T my self. So here is the scoop.
    If you currently have a Unlimited Data Plan NOTHING will change for you. When you upgrade to a new phone as long as you don't downgrade your plan NOTHING will change for you. The only way that you would loose the unlimited data plan is if you end your contract with AT&T or lower your plan. Cause once you loose it you will not get it back.

For most of us that are just looking to upgrade to the new phone this change will not effect use at all. Even if you can't upgrade to the new phone till a few months down the road.

Now a few people said they would change to a new data plan because its cheaper. Just A WARNING if you do that you will never get the unlimited data back.

I personally use about 2.6-3.5Gs a month. I'm upgrading to the new phone the day it comes out and the AT&T service rep assured me that even if I upgrade my phone I would still keep my unlimited data. Its just a new phone and 2 year commitment with the my current plan.

So the moral of the story is. If you have it, keep it! If you don't, getting it! Cause after the 7th you have what you have.
    Last edited by lividian1; 06-02-2010 at 02:20 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

^that's true but keep in mind if you update to a tethering plan you will not be able to keep a unlimited data plan even if you use one now

+ Reply
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast