+ Reply
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No more unlimited data plans for new AT&T customers

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
#ATTcares
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

#ATTcares

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

So if I'm on unlimited now, will I be able to keep unlimited if I buy the iPhone 4G and get a new 2 year contract

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Also, this only applies to anyone getting the 4th gen phone. If you dont uograde kr change your plan you can keep the current plan.

Just called ATT...The rep told me this is only for new customers, Those who currently have the unlimited plan are "Grandfathered" in... even if they upgrade to the new Iphone(which she wouldn't tell me when it was coming out...Had to ask...lol). So I can keep my unlimited plan and so can my wife.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    200MB!! I could never live on that! I have a 250MB add-on for my unlocked iPhone and I use all of that and more every month! I feel sorry for you US people, Verizon?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Pay full price for the iPhone(if you already have one) and this will not apply to you. Then sell your current iPhone to subsidize your new 4G

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1shuttle1 View Post
    This is with any new contract right? So if you get the 4g and sign a new contract your essentially a new customer and you will be held to the new pricing. Is this correct?
    pretty much

Theme Creator
    Thanks

Not that I totally disagree with this idea, but their first tier allotment sucks! you should be getting at LEAST 500 MB for that $15. When you look at the numbers, they are just flipping the advantage away from the customer. Many customers I'm guessing will exceed the 200MB limit quickly if they use any of the streaming apps with any regularity. But under the first tier plan, they would then have to pay the second tier rate ($25), but only get 1.2 Gigs for that price, right? This means that there will be lots of people getting hit for going over that 200MB limit, or they will be paying for 2Gigs of usage, even though they may only use 300-400 MB's on a regular basis. Kinda crappy in my book. I like the idea in principal, but not how it was executed. And they may have just killed Netflix for the ipad with this as well.

On the flip side, I wonder if they will stop trying to block or limit streaming app altogether now?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I can see them limiting streaming apps in the future.
    Although the new data plans that are going to be offered now are somewhat doing this.
    AT&T shouldn't be making promises that they can't keep when they say thier networks can handle the traffic.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I can't wait to say FU to AT&T when Verizon gets the iPhone. So what if Verizon is a terror when it comes to customer service. At least you get good service(phone) for your money. And they are implementing simultaneous voice/data, so I have NO reason to stay with AT&T!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Any way we could get an average data usage chart type thing going for modmyi members? Im curious to know a rough average data usage people use each month.

I just check my att bill and last month I only used 0.096GB or 98.98mb. I dont think a 2GB data cap would be that bad? Of course, if apple really pushes forward on their cloud streaming stuff, that could quickly jump.

Feel free to post your last month's data usage so we can maybe get an average.
    Last edited by Eagleye; 06-02-2010 at 09:45 AM. Reason: forgot stuff

iPhone? More like MyPhone yomommah's Avatar
    Thanks

thats brilliant at&t! instead of making your network better so it can handle the buttload of traffic that will no doubt be created by probably the single most popular and data using phone ever, why not take the easy way out and bone your customers by limiting their bandwith! its an awesome idea!
    GET IT TOGETHER YOU SUCKWADS!!!
    luckily im already divorcing my iphone for my new love, the htc evo 4g. hello, android!
    Sprint - HTC EVO™ 4G
    Last edited by yomommah; 06-02-2010 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks

I looked at my bills going back to November, and I used under 200MB every month except two - used about 250MB those months. I think the reason I went over those months was because I was using the SlingPlayer app a bunch those months (Olympics and then traveling on the train).

I use only a couple of apps that use the data - maps and words with friends. I check stuff online every once in a while - probably not more than once per week.

If it ever trickles up to existing customers, like the other story on here suggests, I'll probably go for the lower one and just try to pay attention to how much I'm using every month.

It would have been nice if the lower limit one was a cap at 500MB, but these guys know what they're doing when it comes to making money - they set it right at the correct amount where people are gonna have to gamble if they go with the lower one or over pay for the higher one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nytesnypr View Post
    Just called ATT...The rep told me this is only for new customers, Those who currently have the unlimited plan are "Grandfathered" in... even if they upgrade to the new Iphone(which she wouldn't tell me when it was coming out...Had to ask...lol). So I can keep my unlimited plan and so can my wife.
    Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    pretty much
    Lol. So, which one is it? If we upgrade to the 4G, are we forced to change our data plan? Nyte and Stealth's answers are different. :-(

Thanks

wait, so let me get this straight. Those of us who have been on AT&T already don't have to worry about this stupid new thing? We can continue paying the $30 a month for unlimited?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wife's Usage 117.57 MB of Unlimited & 89 of 200 Texts Thanks to Ping Chat!

My Usage 647.83 MB of Unlimited & 58 of 200 Texts Thanks to Ping Chat!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Thanks

So do already existing customers that will be upgrading to the iPhone 4G that have to sign a new contract lose the unlimited data? My contract is up next as of last month and I have unlimited. I suppose if I want to keep the unlimited I have pay full price for the new iPhone?
    8 gig iPhone Edge 2G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using bootneuter and blackra1n.
    8 gig iPhone 3G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using Whited00r CFW
    16 gig iPhone 3GS (new bootrom): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/limera1n.
    16 gig Wifi iPad first day iPad JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig Wifi/3G iPad first day iPad UNLKD/JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig iPhone 4(first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/greenpois0n
    Apps: 157 installed 25 developed.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itsmejdn View Post
    Lol. So, which one is it? If we upgrade to the 4G, are we forced to change our data plan? Nyte and Stealth's answers are different. :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckerbear View Post
    So do already existing customers that will be upgrading to the iPhone 4G that have to sign a new contract lose the unlimited data? My contract is up next as of last month and I have unlimited. I suppose if I want to keep the unlimited I have pay full price for the new iPhone?
    I just spoke with AT&T and they confirmed that you can upgrade your phone and keep your unlimited plan for $30 or change it to a lower plan.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

Eagleye (06-02-2010), k.nitsua (06-02-2010), mortopher (06-02-2010), mysteryskater125 (06-02-2010), tellytel (06-02-2010)

Thanks

Since Jan of this year I average about 246 MB per month. I knew they were going to put a lower tier right at the point where most people will easily go over. I'll probably stay with the unlimited plan for now but if usage doesn't increase then I'll just ask for the 2 gig plan. I can put those extra $5 in my new girlfriends thong at the local strip club. Her name is Candy and she calls me "sweets".

20. The Following User Says Thank You to StevenB For This Useful Post:

cpkirkley (06-02-2010)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mysteryskater125 View Post
    wait, so let me get this straight. Those of us who have been on AT&T already don't have to worry about this stupid new thing? We can continue paying the $30 a month for unlimited?
    Yes, you can continue paying $30/mo for your 5GB plan.

Really, I dunno why anybody is shocked or mad about this. Finally AT&T is no longer falsely advertising something they don't provide and NEVER HAVE - unlimited service.

Directly from AT&T's site - PLAN TERMS - Wireless from AT&T. Highlighting added by yours truly.

DataConnect Plans: DataConnect plans may ONLY be used with AT&T certified Laptop Connect (PC Data) Cards and other devices for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). On Data Connect Plans with a monthly megabyte (MB) or gigabyte (GB) allowance, once you exceed your monthly allowance you will be automatically charged for overage as specified in the applicable rate plan information (generally per Kb for any data used or a fee for additional MB allowances to be used during the month). All data allowances must be used in the billing period in which the allowance is provided. We may, at our discretion, suspend your account if we believe your data usage is excessive, unusual or is better suited to another rate plan. If you are on a data plan that does not include a monthly MB/GB allowance and additional data usage rates, you agree that AT&T has the right to impose additional charges if you use more than 5 GB in a month; provided that, prior to the imposition of any additional charges, AT&T shall provide you with notice and you shall have the right to terminate your Service.

Smartphone/BlackBerry Plans: Smartphone/BlackBerry plans may ONLY be used with AT&T-certified RIM BlackBerry devices, and smartphones for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). Data Services sold for use with AT&T RIM BlackBerry devices, and smartphones may not be used with other devices, including but not limited to, Personal Computers, PC Data Cards and the like, either by tethering devices together, by SIM card transfer or any other means.

Smartphone/BlackBerry Plans with Tethering: Smartphones/BlackBerry plans with Tethering may ONLY be used with AT&T-certified RIM BlackBerry devices and smartphones for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). Smartphone/BlackBerry plans with Tethering may be used to tether such smartphone and BlackBerry devices to a Personal Computer. If you are on a data plan that does not include a monthly megabyte allowance and additional data usage rates, the parties agree that AT&T has the right to impose additional charges if you use more than 5 GB in a month. Prior to the imposition of any additional charges, AT&T shall provide you with notice and you shall have the right to terminate your service.
    So go ahead, be mad, be pissed, bash AT&T like usual, threaten to jump ship to yet another wireless service provider that sells unlimited-but-not-really service. I say it's about damn time they stop the false advertisement.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rokesomesmeefer For This Useful Post:

mysteryskater125 (06-02-2010), reanimationxp (06-02-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I just went back and check my data history, i've only touched 1GB a few time and I use phone like crazy.