+ Reply
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No more unlimited data plans for new AT&T customers

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Forget all streaming video. I purchased MiFI from Sprint, got the 5 GB. I was over, and I only turned it ON and OFF driving to Montana and back to
    Thanks

Forget all streaming video.

I purchased MiFI from Sprint, got the 5 GB. I was over, and I only turned it ON and OFF driving to Montana and back to see if it worked on my "main route" between here and there.

It did.

I checked the Weather Radar and Rest Stops apps. I looked at Map Quest route directions thru Pasco-Kennewick road construction.

I was billed for going over 5 GB.

I had been "hacked" the first day, fiddling with it in Peet's coffee shop.

Think about that! Any "limited plan" sucks!

Sprint would not back off of it. Do you think AT&T will be different?

My iPhone is a Part of Me tellytel's Avatar
    Thanks

i just asked a rep from att about going over the cap. Its still 1 cent per KB. So if anyone wants to flirt with the 200mb cap better be careful.

Too bad they just dont charge like a 10-20$ charge or something or i would jump all over the 200 mb cap. In the past 8 months i went over 200 once. But it was like 150 mb over. 1 cent per kb x 150 mb= INSANITY.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

ef u at&t
    iPhone 3gs 16gb
    JB via Spirit 3.1.3
    iPhone 4... get in my pocket!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tellytel View Post
    i just asked a rep from att about going over the cap. Its still 1 cent per KB. So if anyone wants to flirt with the 200mb cap better be careful.

Too bad they just dont charge like a 10-20$ charge or something or i would jump all over the 200 mb cap. In the past 8 months i went over 200 once. But it was like 150 mb over. 1 cent per kb x 150 mb= INSANITY.
    If you read the new terms it as $15 for 200Mb and if you go over $15 for the next 200Mb
    The AT&T Rep was not accurate with the information he/she provided.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

do we know yet if our grandfathered unlimited plan is going to carry over to the 4G when we upgrade?

Green Apple
    Thanks

yes it will, I asked att more than once, the questio is will the jailbreak be available soon after I get my phone?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default in summary
    if you are on ATT unlimited $30, which was the plan you HAD to buy when you got your iphone 2g, 3g, then 3gs. Was not an option for less plans until recently, at least i was unaware. So pretty much if you have an iphone, you most likely are on the $30 plan and you can keep the plan indefinitely even when you upgrade. I suppose if you add a line, you wouldnt be able to choose the unlimited plan, or can you?
    If you are on the $30 plan then you are exempt from the tethering fee since, well you have mywi and unlimited anyway. so you dont need to pay $50. This is all fine assuming the 4g is jailbreakable and mywi works on 4.0 final.

but my question is does the 4g iphone have the hardware for the LTE technology (4g) that ATT is deploying in 2011? the 4g will be as fast as wired internet (supposedly) and make using the iphone without wifi acceptable. Plus, tethering 4g to even a desktop would be awesome and worth dropping home net.

Thanks

a) It's not the 4G - it's the iPhone 4
    b) The 'unlimited' plan has a 5Gb FUP - it's just not been enforced, yet
    c) It specifically excludes tethering - don't be surprised if they start enforcing that now.
    d) Does it support LTE? No

Or so I believe.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

you know what i meant, but if it doesnt support LTE, i would highly advise you wait until the next one, because when they will have to make one by 2011 to support LTE since they are deploying it in 2011. If you upgrade in 2010, you wont be eligible for upgrade in 2011 when they will have to deploy a LTE compatible iphone. LTE compatibility is an upgrade worth paying for.
    Last edited by pininfarina; 06-08-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks

'They' are deploying it in 2011?
    The clue is in the name, it is Long Term Evolution - there will be no major benefits immediately - it is the way forward but HSDPA/HSUPA has a long way to go.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I bought a 3GS in December (6 months ago) and have the unlimited plan. I use close to 4GB a month with streaming sports and music pretty often (I work nights and have a lot of free time), I plan to get the new iPhone 4 when it's released later this month, will I be able to keep my current unlimited data plan? And if I have to sign a new two year contract (essentially extending my current one by 6 months) will I still be able to keep my unlimited data plan for the life of the new 2 year contract?

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pininfarina View Post
    you know what i meant, but if it doesnt support LTE, i would highly advise you wait until the next one, because when they will have to make one by 2011 to support LTE since they are deploying it in 2011. If you upgrade in 2010, you wont be eligible for upgrade in 2011 when they will have to deploy a LTE compatible iphone. LTE compatibility is an upgrade worth paying for.
    You're talking about Apple. The 1st gen iPhone didn't have 3G when 3G was already a standard for a couple of years. They will absolutely NOT switch to LTE until they absolutely find it necessary.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

My wife currently has a $30 BlackBerry plan, without any sort of data cap. She wants an iPhone 4. Will she be able to "keep" unlimited data for $30 or will she have to take one of the new plans?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

The blackberry plans and iPhone plans are different so you will most likely have to get the new plans.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NoHo View Post
    I bought a 3GS in December (6 months ago) and have the unlimited plan. I use close to 4GB a month with streaming sports and music pretty often (I work nights and have a lot of free time), I plan to get the new iPhone 4 when it's released later this month, will I be able to keep my current unlimited data plan? And if I have to sign a new two year contract (essentially extending my current one by 6 months) will I still be able to keep my unlimited data plan for the life of the new 2 year contract?
    Yes and yes, if you are already on the $30 unlimited data plan, you will be able to keep it if you upgrade to the iPhone 4 and renew the 2 year contract. I am in the same boat as you and use up to 10GBs a month and the new data plans are a big no for me. Thankfully I found out that existing iPhone users can keep their unlimited plan when they upgrade to the iPhone 4.
    Only if you want tethering, you will have to switch over to the $45 2GB plan, but frankly that is quite idiotic since you can (most likely) jailbreak the new iPhone to use MyWi and tether away... (I've used ~40GB one month due to tethering and torrenting a ton of HD stuff).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to velocity211 For This Useful Post:

NoHo (06-09-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Greed Greed Greed as usual. Now if 98% of the customers use less then 2GB it doesn't justify the price of $25 for that amount.. Only $5 savings and they act like they are saving you enough to go out and buy a new corvette with your savings. Now if you added up all those it would add up that's all they are seeing and not per individual. There is a big difference between 2gigs and unlimited and if you go by their stats they were making more before the change. Make it a flat rate since 200MB for $15 don't jive either. Make it $1 per MB with tethering included in the price and even that is price gouging. To ask for $20 extra and no added bandwidth obviously greed to want to make more from giving less is the usual status quo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tanis Phoenix View Post
    Greed Greed Greed as usual. Now if 98% of the customers use less then 2GB it doesn't justify the price of $25 for that amount.. Only $5 savings and they act like they are saving you enough to go out and buy a new corvette with your savings. Now if you added up all those it would add up that's all they are seeing and not per individual. There is a big difference between 2gigs and unlimited and if you go by their stats they were making more before the change. Make it a flat rate since 200MB for $15 don't jive either. Make it $1 per MB with tethering included in the price and even that is price gouging. To ask for $20 extra and no added bandwidth obviously greed to want to make more from giving less is the usual status quo.
    Right on! They are taking full advantage of the iPhone exclusive knowing people will take it up the tail pipe to get their hands on the new iPhone 4. But as all humans do, if your stupid enough to pay for it there will always be a greedy s.o.b there to charge your for it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default 5GB Limit is not true! (and never has been!)
    Man, I got to about page 4 of this thread and could not take it anymore. Everyone who thinks AT&T has ever capped their iPhone plan at 5GB is 100 percent wrong. Back sometime last year I called them when I knew I was definitely going to go over 5GB and AT&T confirmed that for the iPhone (and only the iPhone) there is no 5GB cap. You can use all the data you want without having to worry about it. Trust me. That same month I ended up using close to 30GB (that's right THIRTY Gigabits) and payed the same $68 bill I always have (19% off since I have a Hilton Hotels FAN and only 200 text messages). How you may ask. I streamed my TV signal to my phone using SlingPlayer at a resolution not usually support by the app over 3G (thanks to my jailbreak and 3G Unrestrictor). I did this everyday for at least 4 hours a day for almost the entire month. That app and the MLB.TV app (also using a higher resolution stream than normaly supported) account for most of my data usage. Oh and by the way, I am currently twelve days into my bill cycle and I am only at 2.7 GB (slow month), and that’s only because I've been able to make my MLB.TV streams work on my work computer. If you aren't using at least 5GB of data over 3G on your iPhone, than whats the point of even having one? Use that phone like you stole it! I am living proof so suck that data with no fear my friends!
    Last edited by 01f4irider; 06-09-2010 at 04:35 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I never thought of myself as a data hog. I would just use my iPhone for what I wanted to use it for and never checked my usage. Now I check it and I see that I'm at between 4-5GB a month.

I guess I am a data hog and I didn't even know it. I would use the NBA League Pass app a lot over 3G as well as orb, youtube, last.fm, shoutcast, etc and I never ever thought I was a data hog. I always felt I was simply getting use out of my iPhone by using it for what it's meant to be used for.

Only reason I jailbroke is so I could use backgrounder and categories.

I'm a data hog and I didn't even know it. Crazy.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NoHo View Post
    I'm a data hog and I didn't even know it. Crazy.

Hello fellow data hog. Don't feel bad about your data consumption. I for one say NEVER feel bad about using something labled "unlimited" to it's full potential. I instead say we should be proud of being in the the top 3%. Everyone else is just wasting thier money. AT&T needs to step up thier data game or get out of the way!

P.S. I'm currently streaming the Yankees vs. Orioles game using my SlingBox since the game is blacked out on the MLB.TV app in the area where I reside.
    Last edited by 01f4irider; 06-10-2010 at 02:43 PM.