+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Skype 2.0 Update Finally Adds 3G Voice Calling

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
does anyone know if this works over Edge? ... and yes, i am part of 97% of the population that doesn't have 3G in my area
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

does anyone know if this works over Edge? ... and yes, i am part of 97% of the population that doesn't have 3G in my area

Thanks

The way Edge works would mean that if you tried it you would block all the channels so no one else would be able to make calls on your cell - not a good idea!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

skype sucks, whats with the fee when calling skype to skype. **** you skype, im disappointed. Soon they will charge this for PC/Mac users too

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I've been making calls using skype over 3G for a while now using 3GUnrestrictor. I JUST used it a few days ago dispite the "It works only with blah blah blah."

I don't know if I have any need to upgrade to 2.0 with mine already working

Green Apple
    Thanks

its not working on jailbreak iphone
    this is the msg im getting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skype 2.0 Update Finally Adds 3G Voice Calling-img_1011.png  
    no spam

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

It's about time ... and seriously no iPad screen support

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StormRoBoT View Post
    its not working on jailbreak iphone
    this is the msg im getting
    That message has been there for a long time. It just means it's not supported, not that it doesn't work.

I have not tried it but many people have reported that it works fine despite that message. Are you saying it doesn't?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    They're being greedy because nothing changes on their part, there are no extra costs for them. They're just starting to charge for the calls simply because they can.

For users, it's moving the costs from one company to another (ATT -> Skype). No wonder ATT was against this.
    Plenty of companies start things out for free and charge for them later. Something doesn't have to cost me MORE money all of the sudden for me to want to be compensated for it... Name another company that is offering this service. There isn't one. Again, I fall back to wanting money for a service you provide shouldn't be called greedy, especially not when the price is so inexpensive.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Thanks

I use Skype over Wifi at home because I can't get an AT&T signal in the house. I hope there's an option to keep the Skype w/o 3G support and not pay the extra fee; I'm paying $30.00US per year for SkypeOut now and really don't want to pay an extra monthly charge for 3G if I'm not going to use it.
    Last edited by vedavis; 05-31-2010 at 05:48 AM.

Thanks

I dont understand why making this a big NEWS. No bluetooth support and calls are very very expensive, maybe free to some countries but the countries are most to be called are expensive. other voip sites offer 100 times better. Also truephone is the same shi t too expensive

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Skype saved me a TON of money while in Africa. I don't see how you think it is expensive. I paid .02 cents a minute instead of $2.75 a minute.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mastuul's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    That message has been there for a long time. It just means it's not supported, not that it doesn't work.

I have not tried it but many people have reported that it works fine despite that message. Are you saying it doesn't?
    It's not working on my 3GS after updating. I've tried adding/removing it from 3G Unrestrictor, but it just hangs on the "Signing in..." screen. I also tried uninstalling it and reinstalling the app and it let me in when I did my first login, but then the same thing happened when I tried to open it again. Any ideas?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default New Skype on 3GS Jailbroken w/Unrestrictor
    Quote Originally Posted by mastuul View Post
    It's not working on my 3GS after updating. I've tried adding/removing it from 3G Unrestrictor, but it just hangs on the "Signing in..." screen. I also tried uninstalling it and reinstalling the app and it let me in when I did my first login, but then the same thing happened when I tried to open it again. Any ideas?
    I have the same issue with Skype 2.0 and 3G-Unrestrictor on a 3GS jailbroken phone.. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Upgrades / improvements include:
    - Call using your 3G connection. Skype-to-Skype calls on 3G are free until the end of 2010, after which there will be a small monthly fee (operator charges for data will still apply).
    - Near CD-quality sound for Skype-to-Skype calls using wideband a
    1win.1 loss.1 draw

Thanks

I just bought subscription to Skype and it is 2.99 unlimited calling out only! If you want a phone number it's 12.09 for 3 months which comes to $7.02 (dollars) a month!

Thanks

Default Skype 2.0 fail... Do not upgrade
    Do not upgrade.... It disables your use of the program if you have a jailbroken device.... Trust me i just downgraded back to the old skype before they purposely broke the script

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by casanova1ne View Post
    Do not upgrade.... It disables your use of the program if you have a jailbroken device.... Trust me i just downgraded back to the old skype before they purposely broke the script
    Does calling not work? Because I can run the app and log in just fine.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does calling not work? Because I can run the app and log in just fine.
    I have 3G Unrestrictor running on a jailbroken iPhone 3.13 and the new Skype app ran the first time but thereafter gets stuck on the "logging in" screen.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by epereira View Post
    I have 3G Unrestrictor running on a jailbroken iPhone 3.13 and the new Skype app ran the first time but thereafter gets stuck on the "logging in" screen.
    Have you tried removing the app and then reinstalling it? I have 3G Unrestrictor as well and it seems to work fine for me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Have you tried removing the app and then reinstalling it? I have 3G Unrestrictor as well and it seems to work fine for me.
    Yup, I uninstalled the old app, rebooted and reinstalled the new version (tried it several times) - no go. Went back to Skype 1.3.1 and it works great!