+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft To Present at Apple's WWDC?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Technology apparently makes for strange bedfellows. If you haven't heard rumblings about the possibility of Microsoft participating in Apple's WWDC, you're not alone. Even some of those who have heard
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Microsoft To Present at Apple's WWDC? (Updated)

Technology apparently makes for strange bedfellows.

If you haven't heard rumblings about the possibility of Microsoft participating in Apple's WWDC, you're not alone. Even some of those who have heard the rumor within the last few hours were quick to dismiss the possibility as just that - a rumor. But there may, in fact, be some truth behind the prospect of two tech giants coming together for next month's much-anticipated event.

To be clear, this report is based on more than just un-sourced blogosphere hearsay. According to Barron's, a small chunk of time has been reserved during Steve Jobs' June 7th keynote speech for Microsoft head honcho Steve Ballmer to address the conference. Why would Ballmer turn up for the WWDC this year? If the appearance pans out, the Microsoft chief executive would likely be on hand to introduce Visual Studio 2010, Microsoft's pretty nifty suite of dev tools.

Ironically, the morning we learn of a possible Microsoft and Apple collaboration at WWDC comes only hours after Apple's market capitalization reached $222 billion, which is now officially ahead of Microsoft. As Wall Street closed on Wednesday, Apple could boast of being the largest tech company on the planet.

The speculation about a Ballmer appearance certainly goes a long way to infuse a bit of mystery and excitement into the 2010 WWDC. After all, we pretty much know what to expect from the next iPhone. And how often can we confidently assert that we know what Apple is up to before the company reveals a new product or venture?

*UPDATE

Microsoft is setting the record straight about credible report from Barron's. From Microsoft's official Twitter page: "Steve Ballmer not speaking at Apple Dev Conf. Nor appearing on Dancing with the Stars. Nor riding in the Belmont. Just FYI."

Image via Straitstimes
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 05-27-2010 at 01:20 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

very strange Microsoft!!
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 05-27-2010 at 09:10 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone therandy's Avatar
    Thanks

This sounds very exciting...I'd like to see Job's slap Ballmer and say "Now you're my bit*h"
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 05-27-2010 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Do what you can when you can, Why Wait?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by therandy View Post
    This sounds very exciting...I'd like to see Job's slap Ballmer and say "Now you're my bit*h"
    And hopefully in the fall Ballmer will kick Jobs in the balls and say "Now you're MY bit*h" if they release the Windows Mobile 7 Phone and it turns out to be awesome!

Thanks

it is a "World Wide Developer Conference" after all, so why not Microsoft?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is it possible that the new iPhone comes with bing rather than google, and that microsoft is there to talk about bing on the iphone?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Messington For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (05-27-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

its like stark and hammer... except they're not trying to kill each other (or are they... hmm.)
    two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and i'm not sure about the the universe.

Green Apple
    Thanks

That does sound very exciting! Only a couple more days!!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Nice probably gonna make bing default search engine but I'm hoping there's something supercool awaiting us.

Thanks
    This is only a rumour probably, but if there was any truth to it and I really hope there is, then I think it may be Visual Studio is getting the iPhone SDK and windows developers can develop for the iPhone, opens up a whole new world to many and I can stop learning how to use this Mac I just bought solely for developing in Xcode. 500 for a Mac mini, I'm trying my best to convince myself this 500 gets me more than Xcode but its never on except when I'm using Xcode, I have windows 7 and in my opinion, Macs are great but I just love my PC and I'll always use my PC before the Mac mini.

So hopefully Visual Studio and iPhone SDK come together, that would be amazing, and I would just sell this Mac Mini.

Cheers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It doesn't seem that strange to me. Both companies are threatened by Google, and after all, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".

iPhone? More like MyPhone Thatskanyon's Avatar
    Thanks

Could be a combination of adding Bing to iPhone and perhaps adding annativr Msn messenger to iPhone.... Hope that's the case. Better be worth it.. If these rumours are true that is.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by messington View Post
    is it possible that the new iphone comes with bing rather than google, and that microsoft is there to talk about bing on the iphone?
    rather have google then bing

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the picture is awesome!

iPhone? More like MyPhone mallenass's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnr9412 View Post
    I think the picture is awesome!
    lol, me too. the rest of the article is just blah. but the pic is awesome. these days, unless its a 4g iphone i find in my local grocery store... nothing gets me exited

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is this what they say "The enemy of my enemy is my friend"!?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hmmm, perhaps Microsoft office on the iPad? Maps being changed to Microsoft Virtual earth? search provider changing to bing? Microsoft messenger live for iPhone? Maybe it could be to do with some of microsofts cloud based offerings?

Who knows but ms products seldom excite but I would like virtual earth on idevices as it's roughly 200x. Etter than google maps IMO.

Thanks

YES! I knew it! i told the windows fanboys, mark my words Apple will be bigger in due time.... and that time is NOW! booya, bout time windows got knocked off its high horse. maybe now they will actually produce some quality products.

Quote Originally Posted by FlexSurferOne View Post
    Is this what they say "The enemy of my enemy is my friend"!?
    Yup, It means in halo terms, don't shoot your enemy, let your enemies enemy shoot them first and you swoop in for the kill.

see, what had happened was, since google is growing at an alarming rate, google is branching of into other peoples areas and will hurt apple a lot more than microsoft, as google not only is making a OS, but is also making computer connections, and phones.
    the iphone is apples biggest seller.
    Last edited by AjBlue; 05-27-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone iRoach74's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Messington View Post
    Is it possible that the new iPhone comes with bing rather than google, and that microsoft is there to talk about bing on the iphone?
    didnt think about that... definitely possible though, itd make sense

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

As mentioned earlier, probably to introduce Bing as the default search engine.

I only HOPE that Visual Studio will incorporate Xcode for the iPhone SDK. Then I can stop dreaming about buying a Mac for that sole purpose.

I wanted a Mac before for all the reasons I can possibly thing of... but then I got Windows 7 and became a happy PC user again ^_^
    #eli7e revived me