+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's 4G Plan B

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
According to DigiTimes , Apple has had a parallel iPhone development process going on in case there were problems with the new model. AppleInsider reports that the Taiwanese publication (with
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple's 4G Plan B

According to DigiTimes, Apple has had a parallel iPhone development process going on in case there were problems with the new model. AppleInsider reports that the Taiwanese publication (with a spotty history of inside information) is claiming that Apple started work on a phone that "offers less change from previous iPhones" as a backup to the full-blown fourth-generation model. DigiTimes also claims that Apple had considered OLED screens for the new iPhone, but abandoned the idea when they found that Samsung couldn't deliver the high-quality displays in sufficient quantity.

DigiTimes published an interview with its own Ming-Chi Kuo, "Digitimes Research senior analyst," about the various rumors and leaks surrounding Apple's forthcoming iPhone refresh. Kuo asserts that the Gizmodo phone is genuine, and that the N90 designator was known to "very few people outside the company... prior to the leak." He claims that there has been a separate development track on a product known by the code name "N91" since work on the fourth-generation iPhone began in 2008. He didn't reveal any details about the device, but intimated that it was similar to the iPhone 3GS in "casing, display resolution, digital camera support" and other features. Kuo gave no indication that any of the modifications present a problem that will delay the fourth-generation iPhone's expected release next month.

The interview also discussed Apple's decision to go with LCD displays rather that active-matrix organic LED (AMOLED) screens like those used in the Nexus One. Supposedly, Samsung could only promise 50% to 60% of the required number to Apple, and at a much higher price than the in-plane switching (IPS) LCDs that the company decided on. Furthermore, Apple was unhappy with the sharpness of the display, particularly when rendering text. With Apple's focus on e-reader functions in the new device, they decided to go with screens similar to those on the iPad.

Kuo also made statements regarding the new phone's processor, claiming that Apple will use the same Cortex A8-based A4 as the iPad, because of a lack of multi-core support in iPhone OS 4. And as far as the perennial rumor about a separate CDMA-based iPhone for Verizon or other carriers, Kuo asserts that Pegatron is working on such a phone, but that it had only reached the Engineer Verification Test stage. He says that the phone is likely to be released next year, rather than later this year as has been reported.

image via Gizmodo

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Freerunnering (05-27-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i hope the 4g plans go through
    At least apple considered the OLED which means that future iphone releases could have it once the the technology is improved and they can be produced at a lower cost.
    Last edited by jwalkd9; 05-26-2010 at 04:13 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jwalkd9 For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (05-26-2010)

Thanks

So now were talking that there isnt gonna be a new iPhone./.. smh
    EDM

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeal For This Useful Post:

PlatoTheForms (05-27-2010)

Thanks

the next iPhone will be an A+ upgrade, i can tell. i am waiting impatiently for that WWDC Stevenote.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

so either there is a totally new design with upgraded HD camera, front facing camera.... or we get the same design with same camera? did i read that right?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ballz

Green Apple
    Thanks

If Apple uses the same lame designe, then its Hello HTC evo. and a 4+ inch screen....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to chakraj For This Useful Post:

Teoyaomqui (05-27-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Oh-man.... I hope they don't go with the "plan b". I do like the new model.

Green Apple
    Thanks

wow...this should shut up a lot of people. What if this iPhone model that has been leaked only gets released next year...and they come out with some new phone with the exact same design as before. that would be .... w o w.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Does anyone else but me think the new iPhone 4th gen is ugly looking? The white one looks cool but the screen on that looks really small. Plus 0S 4 doesn’t do much more than what we can already do now with jailbreak. Apple has to come up with something better than just a front cam for video chat. If video chat is anything similar to the quality of knocking video on 3g then I don’t expect much. The new Evo looks promising.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zeal View Post
    So now were talking that there isnt gonna be a new iPhone./.. smh
    That was only said about the CDMA version, which would possibly come out next year instead of later this year.

And I'm willing to bet my life that the upgrade will be revealed on June 7th and it will indeed be A+.

Thanks

WOW. Apple why? They would have a plan B just to screw us out of something amazing for one more year.
    iPhone 3G 4.2.1 - iPod touch 3G 5.0 Beta 1
    Windows 7 - OS X 10.5.6

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

I would rather stick with the IPhone 3G or 3GS because I think that the 4G phone is ugly. It looks like a small rectangular box.

Green Apple
    Thanks

if they come out with a phone that looks VERY similar to the 3G/3GS and with little to no new hardware upgrades.. no upgrade for me. no thank you. sticking with my 3GS and will wait for a real '4G' iPhone..

ca3
    Thanks

it cant be true, apples quickly falling out of the loop,cuz the market keeps changing and with so many good conpetitors. If they dont release the new iphone they will lose a lot of people to competitors (including myself) i really dont think their that stupid, on the 7th we will most likely be seeing the 4g phone we all have seen, or apples going to be in some finacial trouble. they couldnt afford it

Thanks

so, now the 4th gen will look just like the last 3 generations did.

eying those evo 4g's right now...

Thanks

Lame a*# rumors!!! Getting old already.

Thanks

Apple release 3 different phones over the course of 3 years that all look identical?
    I doubt it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I hope it is like the 4G, I love the new look. So sick of my 3G, that is why I did`nt go with the 3GS, some old thing.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well now that apple is bigger than Microsoft, maybe they are going to do what microsoft did and just rest on their laurels. They will just keep the same awfull design and make it cheep so everyone gets one. Hey now that they are the second biggest company in america they will stop being a leader.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast