Page 1 of 14 123 11 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PwnTunes

Default UPDATE: Free Giveaway! - iTunes-less Music Importing, On the Go? Meet PwnTunes.
    The Giveaway is Over!!

Thank you to everyone who participated! The members below were randomly drawn using www.random.org, and are winners of a FREE PwnTunes license, courtousy of SpiritOfLogic!

Caboose1408
    alerx7
    aaddaam
    docomar
    BradTrinh24

Congratulations to the winners! Please PM me with your iPhone's serial number (Settings > General > About) as well as your e-mail address to claim your reward. Thanks everyone!

Every once in a while, a developer comes along and reminds us why we jailbreak:
    Because with freedom, nothing is impossible.

SpiritOfLogic, the developer behind iRealSMS, has just proven this once again. Meet PwnTunes, the latest in what is sure to become yet another staple app of jailbreakers everywhere.

PwnTunes' main feature is two-fold. It first enables "real" raw USB disk access, thumbdrive style. In the root of the now-accessible disk, a drop folder is created for dropping music you'd like to import. Secondly, PwnTunes adds itself as a plugin to the native iPhone Music Player app, and upon launch, syncs music from your drop folder directly into your iPhone music library.

Voila! It's that simple. Finally, we have an elegant, on-the-go iTunes-less importing solution!

In addition to its' main feature, PwnTunes boasts additional abilities as well. Your phone is now raw-access enabled, so you can add files (anything, not just music) to it directly using no special software, very much like a thumb drive. On top of that, they've added the ability to copy normal iTunes-synced songs off the phone, via raw-access mode. They've even made the filenames pretty via ID3 tags instead of the normal ABCD.mp3 convention as well! Even the Downloads folder used by several applications is mapped, for easy moving of songs. SpiritOfLogic truely has thought of everything here.

There is one easy-to-overcome hiccup for XP users, which is driver-related. XP drivers do not allow writing to the iPhone device without a tweak, but the developer has conveniently added this tweak to the read-only section of your new iPhone USB Disk, so you can install the fix immediately. (See graphic below)

iPhone (and especially Windows users) rejoice! Zero setup iTunes-less syncing is finally upon us!

PwnTunes is available now for purchase in the Cydia store (via the BigBoss repo) and directly on PwnTunes.net. It is unfortunately one of the more costly "jailbreak apps", weighing in at almost $13. Here's hoping they lower it, but this writer paid it gladly.

I've emailed the developer for recommendations on what this "software" might be. I believe it may still work on other devices like gaming consoles, however. I will look into this further and post my results. Stay tuned

Update 2:
    Some quirks I've noticed:
    • When adding or deleting music, the iPod app exits. (This is necessary for how it functions)
    • The files you are adding via drag-and-drop must have ID3 tags to be sorted properly in iPod.app. If they do not, the filename will be treated as the Song Title, and it will only appear by looking under Songs.
      Windows itself has a mechanism for quickly adding ID3 tags to files that are missing them. This must be done when files are on the COMPUTER. ID3 tags cannot be edited once they're on the phone. Right-click the problem file, select Properties, and go to the Details Tab. At least "Contributing Artists" and "Song Title" should be present for songs to be properly categorized when imported. Note that "Contributing Artists" in Windows is equivalent to the "Artist" field on the iPod. Filling in just "Artist" via Windows will not work.
      To mass-view (and maybe mass-edit), you can enable the Contributing Artists and Song Title columns under Windows' Details view.
    • Files cannot be renamed, nor can ID3 tags be viewed once files are on the phone. They must be moved to the computer to be renamed or re-tagged, then moved back to the phone. Files can be deleted from the phone directly, however.

Update 3:
    I spoke with SpiritOfLogic, and he liked the article and gave us 5 licenses to give away! See the top of the article for information.

He also informed me that I was mistaken about the ID3 tag quirk initially. I have updated my notes above to reflect its' actual functionality. Files without ID3 tags are not skipped when importing. Instead, the entire filename is treated as the Song Title, and the Artist and Album fields are left blank. This means that those songs can only be found under the Songs list in iPod.app. Try searching for your filename under Songs, and it should show up.

Finally, he is not aware of any software yet that will easily add MTP functionality to OSX, thus the lack of Mac support. He had this to say:

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfLogic
    The answer is sadly that to our knowledge at the moment there is none for Mac that works directly. There is the project libmtp (libmtp: Project) which provides an MTP interface to any UNIX operating system. (MTP is the compatible successor to PTP.)

For Linux there are a lot implementations – I am not sure if they work with iPhone/PwnTunes though – this would be something Linux experienced users will find out.

Currently it seems that there is only one implementation, XNJB (XNJB) for Mac. It was developed for the Creative Nomad Players. Right now it does not recognize the iPhone properly. This is most likely due to the different folder structure. I am currently trying to get in contact with the developers of XNJB to determine if they are interested in supporting iPhone/PwnTunes.

Considering this I think help from the community could fasten this – some emails in their inbox asking for iPhone support will certainly give them motivation
    Any experts out there willing to help or who have found solutions are welcome to PM me to update the article.

Original Contest Rules: (now over)
    SpiritOfLogic really liked our article and feedback, and has decided to reward us with 5 FREE licenses of PwnTunes!

For anyone who comments after me with the phrase "Go PwnTunes!" as the first line, you will be entered into the drawing.
    I will run this drawing for one week, ending 12:00 noon PDT on Friday, May 28th. As a reward to active members of our community, I will restrict this to those who have accumulated at least 10 posts to ModMyI. Do not spam any threads, including this one. I WILL find out and exclude you

Winners will be PM'ed for their iPhone info at the end of the drawing.

Good luck all!
    Last edited by reanimationxp; 05-28-2010 at 10:12 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reanimationxp For This Useful Post:

Amraam (05-19-2010), Jaredude (05-23-2010), sandymary (05-20-2010)

nice

Thanks

That's awesome. I can't wait to try it with the ipad
    I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something. -- Jackie Mason

What are the chances that I'm going to be able to play my music on my xBox 360 through a USB cable now that I have "raw" access to the iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by ownerofspam View Post
    What are the chances that I'm going to be able to play my music on my xBox 360 through a USB cable now that I have "raw" access to the iPhone?
    A good question. I'm not sure that this hack is a true implementation of universal USB standards - it appears to function much like a camera attached via USB, except with the ability to write to it. (Notice the DCIM folder in the screenshot along with the others.)

Theoretically if the device you're attaching it to like the 360 supports hooking a digital camera to it and pulling photos, it should support this much the same way. We shall see though.

that is amazing! finally something to get around iTunes easily.

Thanks

Hes using Windows
    EDM

Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
    A good question. I'm not sure that this hack is a true implementation of universal USB standards - it appears to function much like a camera attached via USB, except with the ability to write to it. (Notice the DCIM folder in the screenshot along with the others.)

Theoretically if the device you're attaching it to like the 360 supports hooking a digital camera to it and pulling photos, it should support this much the same way. We shall see though.
    Yeah, I'm thinking that if you have access to the .mp3's on the iPod, that it should be able to read them and play it through the 360. If someone could confirm that this works for me I would shell out 12.29 faster than a Kenyan running to the apple store to get the new iPhone.

for PC only how about Mac

Quote Originally Posted by katalena View Post
    "Sadly due to Apple's restrictive implementation of the Picture Transfer Protocol (iPhoto) currently PwnTunes does not work on a Mac without extra Software."

Extra software. I would expect them to release software for Mac's within a short period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by katalena View Post
    Eek, good point, I did not see that. Will update the article.

Technically, if you know how to download songs to your phone and use iFile, a computer isn't even required.
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

mmh... now there is a cool Windows Tool to access to iPhone,
    what about MAC Users ? Does there be an application,too, or at next future ?

But doesn't iTunes rename the songs in a messed up way? So you can't just copy it in there I heard

Quote Originally Posted by Raeki View Post
    But doesn't iTunes rename the songs in a messed up way? So you can't just copy it in there I heard
    This does not involve iTunes at all, though it does leave music added via iTunes alone if you're using it. This allows the drag-and-drop addition of music DIRECTLY to the phone, and then adds the proper pointers to those files to the iPhone's music database. In the iPhone's iPod app, you will see both your drag-and-dropped files, AND your iTunes files. These files will not sync back into iTunes, it will simply ignore them.

In short: The iPod's mobile database and filenaming structure is a bit complex, so you're right, you couldn't add it yourself normally. The app fixes this. If you don't understand it, don't worry about it.. point is, it works
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

awesome gonna get this

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

Can someone compare this to iFunBox? I want to know which one is better.

Edit: $13? Ouch.
    Last edited by djuuuaann; 05-19-2010 at 04:49 PM.

Has anyone tried plugging it into there 360 and seeing if you can listen to music directly from your iphone?
    it's just a plant. Thats all it is. And if you happen to set it on fire...there are some effects...

Quote Originally Posted by iStoner View Post
    Has anyone tried plugging it into there 360 and seeing if you can listen to music directly from your iphone?
    Heck, has anyone downloaded the app at all?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Now this is really something we can use. Great work

this could make my life so easy.. and very nice.. i love it.. can also use it as USB drive.. that is most interesting.. Cool apps..
    no spam

Page 1 of 14 123 11 ... LastLast