+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bank Gives BlackBerry The Boot for iPhones

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
It's one small step for Apple, one giant leap backwards for BlackBerry. Standard Chartered, the mega-British bank with locations in better than 70 nations around the world, is bucking the
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Bank Gives BlackBerry The Boot for iPhones

It's one small step for Apple, one giant leap backwards for BlackBerry.

Standard Chartered, the mega-British bank with locations in better than 70 nations around the world, is bucking the BlackBerry as its "standard corporate communications device," according to a report Monday from Reuters. "It's a group-wide initiative involving wholesale and consumer banks globally," a company rep told the newswire, noting that Standard Chartered will continue picking up the tab on monthly billing for business-related telephone and data services.

Why is this significant? For starters, Standard Chartered has roughly 75,000 employees. That's a whole lot of potential iPhone sales - and not just for employees presently without a work-issued handset. Employees currently using a BlackBerry have also been cleared to drop the BlackBerry (if they choose to do so) and switch to the iPhone. As the coverage indicates, the transition from BlackBerry to iPhone in a major financial institution is far from commonplace. Many prominent firms, like HSBC Holdings and Morgan Stanley, won't touch an iPhone with a ten foot pole and remain staunch BlackBerry loyalists.

Standard Chartered, however, is breaking the BlackBerry's grip as the "standard corporate communications device" for a major multinational financial establishment. And it wouldn't be utterly astounding if others soon follow suit, especially with Apple poised and ready to seize a bigger chunk of the enterprise market later this year with the release of the 4th gen iPhone - the most business-friendly model of Apple's smartphone to date.

Image via Apple

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (05-17-2010)

Thanks

apple are taking over the world fast

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

Thanks

Apple will need to become more business orinitated if they want these consumers.

Thanks

It begs the question: do they get in trouble for jailbreaking it?

Thanks

^naw. why would they? well, unless its considered company property. that could be considered some kind of vandalism.
    killall Terminal[]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yes, that would compromise the security of the device i would think....

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by extremzocker View Post
    Apple will need to become more business orinitated if they want these consumers.
    Sorry but your comment makes no sense. iPhone does everything AND MORE than a Blackberry. It's not an opinion it's a fact. Anyone who owns an iPhone could attest to this. iPhone is and can be whatever you want it to be, it's up to YOU on how you use it.

Oh BTW, We use iPhone's at my job and I work for the county (I.T. Department) we trashed our Blackberry's a little over a year ago
    Last edited by elite_jounin; 05-17-2010 at 02:00 PM.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elite_jounin View Post
    Sorry but your comment makes no sense. iPhone does everything AND MORE than a Blackberry. It's not an opinion it's a fact. Anyone who owns an iPhone could attest to this. iPhone is and can be whatever you want it to be, it's up to YOU on how you use it.

Oh BTW, We use iPhone's at my job and I work for the county (I.T. Department) we trashed our Blackberry's a little over a year ago
    I will agree with you 100% There isn't much a iPhone can't do....

"Always remember your special and unique!"

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

guess RIM will be suing soon for them taking their customers lol

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by extremzocker View Post
    Like everyone has said ... and by this you mean?

Because I have a blackberry at work, and texts and email are hard to read, I actually have them forwarded to my iPhone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elite_jounin View Post

I develop apps for iPhone and BB and have several devices from both companies. My personal phone is an iPhone. Having said that it is clear that I prefer the iPhone but.....

BlackBerry has one major advantage over iPhone. Anyone can write an app and distribute it to all BBs in the world.

You don't have to jailbreak a BB and you don't have to ask for a "blessing" from BB to distribute your app.

The correct statement is: "The iPhone can be whatever you want as long as you get a blessing from Apple"

In other words, "By Appointment of Steve" is not required for BB.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzlocal View Post
    Because I have a blackberry at work, and texts and email are hard to read, I actually have them forwarded to my iPhone.
    Geez, talk about a security issue.

We're evaluating software from Good that runs on a number of Smartphones, including the iPhone. The application offers secure email, calendar and contacts and the rest of the phone can be used however the user wants to. We're trying to get away from corporate owned Smartphones, including Blackberrys and move to supporting only the Good app. The Good app also runs on the iPad.

Thanks

1 down, a lot to go
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buzios View Post
    I develop apps for iPhone and BB and have several devices from both companies. My personal phone is an iPhone. Having said that it is clear that I prefer the iPhone but.....

BlackBerry has one major advantage over iPhone. Anyone can write an app and distribute it to all BBs in the world.

You don't have to jailbreak a BB and you don't have to ask for a "blessing" from BB to distribute your app.

The correct statement is: "The iPhone can be whatever you want as long as you get a blessing from Apple"

In other words, "By Appointment of Steve" is not required for BB.
    Strange...I thought in a press conference I recall an apple exec. stating something about opening their software to allow company's to distribute their own personal apps aside from the app store for personal/organizational use? Maybe I misunderstood that since programming doesn't fascinate me much.

I've also worked in multiple environments and never seen anyone develop for Blackberry's. Not saying they don't, but it doesn't seem like a common practice. I dont know. I agree that Apple is BIG on restrictions, are we sure this is one of them?
    Last edited by elite_jounin; 05-17-2010 at 05:28 PM.

Thanks

Prediction:

All your phones are owned by iPhone.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    I also agree but iPhone doesn't have "real" keypad.

I have my iPhone for personal use and have a BlackBerry for business use. My iPhone 3GS can never replace my Bold.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    except been the most secure smartphone device in the world...

and the new BlackBerry 6 is not that bad whatsoever

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlO8KMv7Bx4[/ame]
    Last edited by eortizr; 05-17-2010 at 09:29 PM.

Thanks

it's really just a matter of time before more major companies leave the limits of rim behind for the unlimited possibilities of the iphone. why didn't rim see this coming with the iphone 1st gen?

thanks and tap that thanks button while you're at it...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Who is the genius that comes up with these headlines? The bank is giving employees the OPTION of using an iPhone instead of a BlackBerry. How does that equal giving BlackBerrys "the boot?"

Sensational headlines are fun and all, but it would be fantastic if they weren't blatantly misleading.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eortizr View Post
    except been the most secure smartphone device in the world...

and the new BlackBerry 6 is not that bad whatsoever

I cant stop laughing at that blackberry6 vid you posted! what the hell were they thinking?? LMAO