+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 960x640 Screen, 512MB RAM in iPhone HD?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by aperry ...next-generation iPhones that could live up to their rumored name of "iPhone HD." Since when is 960X480 considered "HD"? Looks like a great phone, but let's
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aperry View Post
    ...next-generation iPhones that could live up to their rumored name of "iPhone HD."

Since when is 960X480 considered "HD"?

Looks like a great phone, but let's not start redefining standards.
    technically 480p is considered an hd video format, that is why sometimes you see websites saying 480p is hd. most people dont know it but hd is not just 720p and up, but it is resolustion 960*480 and above. so therefore iphone hd would be appopriate :-)

Thanks

i doubt they will double the ram two years in a row
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matinm90 View Post
    technically 480p is considered an hd video format, that is why sometimes you see websites saying 480p is hd. most people dont know it but hd is not just 720p and up, but it is resolustion 960*480 and above. so therefore iphone hd would be appopriate :-)
    Sorry, you are incorrect. 480p is definitely *not* an HD video format.

Read here:
    High-definition television - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or here where it says quite clearly: "480p does not qualify as high-definition television (HDTV)"
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/480p]480p - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Thanks

Really what I want is a better camera. I really hope that the camera isn't just more MP, but actually better quality and with a flash!

Thanks

BS

All you people talking bout the pixels its the video recording thats 720p not the screen res!
    No way 512mb of ram is coming the droid incredible on has 256mb

The OP said 960X640 SCREEN res not vid cam res
    Last edited by SnowLeo; 05-17-2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

im preordering my HTC EVO 4g this wed, ive had the iphone from day 1 2g and 3gs, i love the iphone but it has become boring even with all the apps, jailbreak apps etc..... the evo has FLASH, 8 megapixel camera w/dual flash, a HDMI connection to plug directly to your hdtv, front camera, video recording in hd and the list goes on, plus android is hackable aka rooting i believe, so this will be a now project and cheaper monthly bill

Thanks

^Id wait to see the next iphone before you jump at this. The htc EVO is pretty sexy though and you forgot to mention the best part... the kickstand!!
    Oh and there really isnt much you can do with a rooted droid other than installing unofficial firmwares and enabling tethering.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

^It is hackable but once you root your Android phone, your warranty voids and there's nothing you can do to go back to stock phone like with the iPhone you can restore.
    Plus you probably will be able to dualboot Android 2.1 on 4th gen iPhone not far off.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

i see both of your points, i read on the android forums that u can restore if u screw up from rooting, sprints offers 30 day money back if u dont like the phone and or service, so i can still test out the evo and wait for the news on the new iphone

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Isn't there a rumor going around about how people's contract renew and upgrades are getting bumped to the 4G release date?

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NessLookAlike View Post
    Look at those iPod controls.. they're so tiny. I think I'd have to buy a mini-stylus just to push play. :[
    If you need a stylus, they blew it.

Thanks
    I just hope it's compatible with the tomtom car kit that I currently own.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfnumba1 View Post
    Lol apple had no choice but to double the ram if they want a multi tasking iPhone to compete with the newest android phones, any jailbroken iPhone user will tell u that when they use backgrounder after 4 or 5 apps even the 3gs starts to get sluggish sometimes less then that many apps the a4 CPU and memory bump will fix that
    I have a iPhone 3Gs 16GB and I use Backgrounder in combination with ProSwitcher. I have like 5 till 10 things normally in my background and my iPhone doesn't get sluggish. It's fast enough already and I use my phone a lot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt Dam0n View Post
    Its 960 x 680

which is close enough to 720p... your eyes wouldn't even make the difference on a big screen so it's even less relevant on a 3.5 inch screen.
    Actually it would be 960 x 640 (doubling of 480 x 320, the current iPhone resolution, in two dimensions equates to four times as many pixels), not 960 x 680.

Regardless, I've not seen anything on the market as yet that would suggest LCDs with pixel densities (652 ppi) that high exist in any mass producible form. Therefore, this is likely just another baseless rumor.

960 x 640 in a 3.5" screen with 3:2 dimensions would be pointless. You'd need a magnifying glass and excellent vision to justify such a resolution in such a tiny screen.

Where's the proof?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Good lord, before I get ridiculed into oblivion, my comment about the stylus and the tiny screen was a joke. Of course I know thats a photoshop job, come on people take a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    If you need a stylus, they blew it.
    This is the reply I was aiming for, lol.

iPhone? More like MyPhone zYxMa's Avatar
    Thanks

Nothing is certain yet, i think, but I would love to know the price!
    Last edited by zYxMa; 05-17-2010 at 04:35 PM.

Thanks

...next-generation iPhones that could live up to their rumored name of "iPhone HD."

HD is used as a marketing term. You couldn't figure that out on your own? While it's true that the NTSC wouldn't consider this resolution true HD, this is a phone, not a television set.

iPhone? More like MyPhone zYxMa's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    HD is used as a marketing term. You couldn't figure that out on your own? While it's true that the NTSC wouldn't consider this resolution true HD, this is a phone, not a television set.
    I agree and I hope that they don't call this iPhone "HD" because that's just LAME.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zYxMa View Post
    I agree and I hope that they don't call this iPhone "HD" because that's just LAME.
    I disagree. Calling it iPhone HD makes the most sense. The HD can reference HD video recording (720p) and it also implies a higher res screen (though clearly not HD). The term 'HD' has a positive connotation and I see no reason for Apple not to employ it in such a way. Besides, I'm guessing they're saving the 'iPhone 4G' moniker for when the phone supports a true 4G standard like LTE-A (LTE-Adavnced is 4G, LTE is not), though either WiMax or LTE would likely suffice until the 4GS.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think they are referring to the Video being able to do HD...not the screen rez