+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report: Apple Orders 10 Million CDMA iPhones

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
So who makes these iPhones anyway?
    Thanks
    So who makes these iPhones anyway?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If this happens, maybe it will ultimately put pressure on AT&T to improve their network.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i call BS...its not the 1st time we've had a rumor very similar to this 1.I for 1 am happy with AT&T though

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post
    Independent testing has confirmed AT&T's 3G is significantly faster. And if you were in a Verizon store, the phone was on wifi, not 3G
    Can I have some source? I'm not disagreeing with you or anything, but I would like to see just how much faster AT&T is, since i've played with my droid and my friends iPhone in alot of places, and the speeds were quite similar...

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks

Anyone have any idea how much it costs to drop AT&T with an iphone contract ? Looks like I need to crunch some numbers before switching .

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

I really think there's every chance of this, over here in the uk apple had the same five year deal with the O2 network, and just over two years later we now have it available on three networks (O2, Vodafone and Orange). I think they managed to free themselves of the deal due to some wee hole in the small print. I work for an independent retailer of iPhone's in the uk, and all of our stores were getting some very strict inspections from apple just before they made it available on Orange and Vodafone ;-)

All and all a good thing tho, it released alot of pressure and strain off the O2 network, shares the work load a bit :-)

I'm guessing the same would happen with AT&T

iPhone? More like MyPhone sucram6791's Avatar
    Thanks

why isnt any1 saying that its possible it could go to sprint? they have cdma too

iPhone? More like MyPhone mastuul's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm glad I don't live in the boonies like all these people who complain about at&t's service/coverage. Not only would I be disappointed about not being able to use my iPhone, but I'd also be upset about living in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by norfskate View Post
    I really think there's every chance of this, over here in the uk apple had the same five year deal with the O2 network, and just over two years later we now have it available on three networks (O2, Vodafone and Orange). I think they managed to free themselves of the deal due to some wee hole in the small print. I work for an independent retailer of iPhone's in the uk, and all of our stores were getting some very strict inspections from apple just before they made it available on Orange and Vodafone ;-)

All and all a good thing tho, it released alot of pressure and strain off the O2 network, shares the work load a bit :-)

I'm guessing the same would happen with AT&T
    Share the load. No if the iphone went to verizon than the day of the launch verizons network would go down and you would get more dropped calls than technically possible. People say that verizon will do better with the iphone and it will be better with verizon, but do people think about the stress on att network with the iphone. Its way more than verizon can handle. Verizon cant even think about that much stress on its network. att is fine for me and it might be bad for you but if verizon gets the iphone than dont whine about it when your internet is like 2x faster than edge. Than us att people will have no stress and will have way faster and less dropped calls than you. Come to think about it I havent had ONE dropped call with att.

ALSO DID U HEAR ABOUT THE GUY THAT GOT LIKE A THOUSAND DOLLAR BILL FROM VERIZON? YA YALL SHOULD GO THERE!!! THEY PRACTICALLY DONT EVEN HAVE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mastuul View Post
    I'm glad I don't live in the boonies like all these people who complain about at&t's service/coverage. Not only would I be disappointed about not being able to use my iPhone, but I'd also be upset about living in the middle of nowhere.
    I know right I have perfect speed and coverage with att. Not one dropped call and I live in a city area with lots of people. And there customer service is actually existent and helpful unlike verizons. Try calling them about stuff itll take a whole day. With att my speed is fine actually better than on my friends droid incredible and I always have coverage.
    Last edited by iphone?3gs; 05-16-2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Truckerbear View Post
    Its about flipping time we get a CDMA iPhone. If this actually ever happens I will drop AT&T like a bad habit. I am tired of substandard service and absurd phone bills for said substandard service. When my iPhone is connected to WIFI its the most useful phone I could have. (Skype for phone) When its connected to AT&T its sucks! I use my Motorola Droid if I want cell service almost exclusively. Lets hope this is true!

WOW first time ever that I am.. First!
    whats the whole fascination of first? does it get ur hormones flaring ?
    Last edited by z3r01; 05-16-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

@iphone?3gs

Mate, just let it happen,

If yi don't like people hating AT&T, let them go to Verizon, and then have a bit of giggle when they change back to AT&T twenty four months later :-)

It's kinda the same over here, O2 and Vodafone are great, and Orange is pish!.... but everyone just kinda knows that anyway. Not much of a fight over who's got the best here :-)

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Well the state I live in, Version is spending like 76 millon dollars and revamping headquarters here and are going to hire like 2500 people! Something is going to happen!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pauldanielash View Post

In the latest chapter of the "will-they-or-won't-they" saga surrounding a possible second carrier for the iPhone in the US, a Taiwan electronics industry publication is claiming that Apple has placed an order for ten million CDMA-compatible iPhones. Of the four major US carriers, AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM technology, while Verizon and Sprint's networks are on the CDMA standard. While rumors about a Verizon iPhone have been floating around for some time, the number of them has increased lately, and they've been getting more and more specific.

AppleInsider, among other sources, promises us that the report (which is behind a paywall and almost as unintelligible in Google Translate as in the original Chinese) says that Apple has chosen Pegatron, the contract manufacturing arm of electronics kaiju ASUSTek, to build the CDMA variant of the 4th generation iPhone. No one has questioned the assumption that the GSM model will continue to be manufactured by Foxconn, which has built every iPhone since it was introduced, as well as the iPod, iMac and Mac mini. The size of the order was placed at ten million, which would indicate that Apple feels secure it can sell that many phones to a second (or maybe a third) US carrier as well as in international markets. While GSM has a 72% market share worldwide, only 12% of all phones support the CDMA2000 standard.

DigiTimes has a hit-and-miss track record in terms of scoops. The Taiwanese website/dead-tree journal predicted that Apple would be going to AMD for its CPUs (false, at least so far) and that the iPad would have a model with an OLED screen. However, they did correctly predict the release date for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, and got both the manufacturer and the delivery time of the iPad right. And its often-derided rumor about the iPhone shipping with both a 3.2 and a 5 megapixel camera is looking like it might be true as well. So you pretty much have to flip a coin with this one.
    You know, when you go from saying "Apple Insider" then seemingly tangentially start talking about DigiTimes, your readers get confused. You never mentioned that DigiTimes was Apple Insider's source to establish relevancy.

Thanks

It would surprise me if it went to verizon.
    But I am surprised as many as 12% of phones support CDMA2000
    I thought Apple would wait until verizon fell into line with the rest of the world with LTE
    More versions of the iPhone make it difficult for everyone...
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

It could be that Sprint is willing to pay anything, ANYTHING, to remain relevant. It's always possible that a CDMA iPhone would go to Sprint instead, right?

Thanks

No
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

this is one of the few "reports" i believe
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have never had trouble with ATT and I travel alot. I had a Verizon airfare and after getting sick of getting $1000+ bills for no reason and having to argue with them over and over I left them for good.

People talk about the $1000 bills with Verizon??? What aboutthe ten or so times in the last 6 months they have been on CNN and MSNBC for giving people $10,000-20,000 bills and flat out refusing to work with the people.

iPhones use the most data of any cell phone. And still ATT has faster 3G than Verizon.

So imagine if the iPhone were to go to them. It would be rediculous.

There is a reason the rest of the world doesn't use CDMA networks.

But either way. If the iPhone does go to Verizons POS CDMA network I will just but one made for international that uses a sim card.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    this is one of the few "reports" i believe
    AT&T has iPhone exclusivity until 2012 - CNN.com