+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Facebook Features to Be Built Into iPhone 4.0?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Facebook Features to Be Built Into iPhone 4.0?

Apple is reportedly working on integrating a number of Facebook features into iPhone OS 4.0, which is expected to be released with the fourth-generation iPhone at the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in San Francisco next month. Though reports are still sketchy, the functionalities to be built in may include contact syncing and chat by way of the native Messages app.

The Facebook for iPhone app claims 34,391,643 "active users" as of this writing. If these stats are reasonably accurate, the app is therefore one of the most commonly used on the iPhone, and so it would make sense for both Apple and Facebook to leverage that. Android already allows you to sync Facebook contacts into its unified message system, so expect that functionality at a minimum. Apple is unlikely to just play copycat with Android, however - especially given that Android engineer Erick Tseng will be starting as head of Mobile Products at Facebook next week.

The Silicon Valley Insider's Dan Frommer is reporting that there will be some integration of Facebook Connect "directly into the software developers kit," but without any details on how it will be implemented. Apple's new Game Center has yet to leave the starting gates, but it's already building a lot of buzz in terms of its social networking features. Apple would be smart to build in the ability for users to link their Game Center and Facebook accounts, which would give users a lot more opportunities to mix their networks. Also, the new iPhone, with its front-facing camera, is expected to bring new video-chat capabilities, which seems like a natural fit for the social-networking realm: it is called Facebook, after all.

Facebook is known to be working hard on integrating its social platform with… well, pretty much everything, from search to browsing to shopping. So the appeal for them of having it built into the iPhone is clear. For Apple, they obviously have one big number in mind: the 400 million users of Facebook.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (05-17-2010), reaves205 (05-13-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This sounds real interesting, maybe Apple is trying to get some sort of edge by advertising it as a 'facebook' phone to the teen population.
    It's only impossible if you quit.

Thanks

Sounds interesting. I must say I use the app alot. And they just implemented F/BN into the contacts app (well the proper facebook now syncs)

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Sigh, if only Facebook was still just *.edu addresses.

With the routine lowering of their (facebook) privacy guidelines I do not like this one bit.
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 05-13-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I hate facebook with a passion and hate how its trying to control the world and own any information on there. If the iPhone 4.0 has facebook built into it, I will NOT buy one.

I don't trust the company at all.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boxxa For This Useful Post:

Jailbreak Ryan (05-13-2010), redwolf (05-13-2010), s4mb4 (05-13-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    I hate facebook with a passion and hate how its trying to control the world and own any information on there. If the iPhone 4.0 has facebook built into it, I will NOT buy one.

+1, +2 and +3

Thanks

A little paranoid IMO, but I agree to some extent. If I want facebook I can install the app. Seeing as I could give a rats tail end about facebook, I don't want it littering up my phone...starting to sound like PC's off the shelf with tons of crap you have to delete/uninstall before you can use it.

Built-in facebook=fail

I'm your Huckleberry!

Green Apple
    Thanks

If you hate facebook and dont have an account then it probably wont affect you much at all. It will just be a feature that you do not use. Kinda like the new cars with there child seat restraint thingy's, those things arent bothering anybody without kids.

as to what vampr said, you gotta think that the big profit are for the company is not in people that know how to do anything with the OS. Its in the everyday user that just want it to work and dont care why.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Even if it's integrated into the OS it won't mean anything if you don't have an account linked to it.

Thanks

@hollow0 - by integrating it into the iPhone OTB you are promoting it to your users, many of which would naturally assume it's a safe and benign thing to opt into. Nobody in the gen. pop. have any clue as to the new security guidelines rolled out by Facebook and are shocked and appalled upon being shown what the current guidelines are.

Thanks

I only use facebook to rarely chat to friends... unlike everyone else.. they live with facebook. Can't live without it. Its sad.. Really sad..

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Opposed to Boxxa I won't buy the iPhone 4G if it does not include unified messaging, I saw this at a buddies Android 2.1 Phone and it's a must have for every modern smartphone i'd say.

If they won't include it I think about getting a SE Xperia X10 and use tethered Internet on my iPod Touch if I need something only an iDevice can do proper.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I must admit the integrated social networking on the Sony xperia 10 looks quite appealing bt it's of no use as facebook doesn't appeal tome i just use it wen I hav no choice and wen I get a notification or a badge I'm thinking apple will implement an on or off switch for facebook in the settings like notifications if it's ever integrated to the iphone

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I guess its a feature that does not touch you if u do not enter your login data, so if you dislike the maybe upcoming feature just stick to the app and there is no negativ change for you.

Thanks

I use iPhoto but I don't use the Facebook photo upload feature in it. It being there doesn't make me whine either.

If this is true, simply don't use it if you don't want to. Don't let it ruin your day people.
    I think I win for the most lame avatar

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
    @hollow0 - by integrating it into the iPhone OTB you are promoting it to your users, many of which would naturally assume it's a safe and benign thing to opt into. Nobody in the gen. pop. have any clue as to the new security guidelines rolled out by Facebook and are shocked and appalled upon being shown what the current guidelines are.
    This is true that it is being promoted, but to those that hate Facebook and want nothing to do with it can still get the new iPhone. They just don't have to use the feature within.

I hate facebook myself and a lot of the nonsense features it has. But when i get the iPhone, cuz i know i will.... I won't link it to my phone.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

I must be the odd ball because I like Facebook

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

At this rate i will have to get a facebook.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

wow. i thought i was the only one with such deep hatred for facebook. glad to know i'm not alone.

Thanks

It's not so much a hatred for facebook that I have as it is a suspicion (though it's more factual these days than just a suspicion) of what my personal information is ring used for. I still use facebook regularily, but now my account says my name, a never used email address, and my hometown. I deleted everything that reveals any personal info beyond that and only post nonsense or to joke around with friends.

It's disappointing to see what such a great social network can turn into once they become a success