+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HTC Requests Ban of iPhone, iPad, iPod Sales in the US

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Why can't we be friends? And that'd be kinda weird if all iDevices were banned from being sold...
    iPhone? More like MyPhone matthew1111's Avatar
    Thanks

Why can't we be friends?

And that'd be kinda weird if all iDevices were banned from being sold...
    That Thanks button is there for a reason!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

even if apple did infringe on a patent or two, do you really think apple will be forced to stop selling three of their most profitable products? c'mon. if i were htc i would want to be nurturing the products and license the patents to apple.
    Last edited by bubbleman7546; 05-12-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Everyone who is adamantly for or against this lawsuit on these forums is a complete imbecile. We have no idea what the true grounds of this lawsuit are. How on earth can we judge objectively whether HTC or Apple is the justified party? Shows the level of intelligence of the average replier to these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleman7546 View Post
    even if apple did infringe on a patent or two, do you really think apple will be forced to stop selling three of their most profitable products? c'mon. if i were htc i would want to be nurturing the products and license the patents to apple.
    Patenting generally doesn't work that way. If HTC can cripple their biggest competitor, they have more to gain than settlement money.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 05-12-2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yeah, for companies like Nokia, like that other guy said, these companies are just raping in countries like India, where I come from. Just crazy how everyone has some form of Nokia phone, and in a country with 1.1 billion people, even capturing 10 percent of the market share is 101 million, as compared to the United states, where 101 million would be around 30 percent of the market share. And yeah, there's China and other countries too, but HTC....that's mostly only centered around the US, and it's going to be hard for them to really pick up. As for Android, Google needs to make the "Google Phone," manufactured by Google and perhaps distributed by Walmart or something, else it's not going to work out too well.

Thanks

just another cry for attention from HTC, nothing out of the ordinary
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Just stop all the hate'n Apple rules just accept it and Love it ha ha ha ha HATERssssss

Thanks

LOL!!!!! I am laughing at this news, so fu*cking hard. "Ban all idevices." How the hell did Apple infringe ANY of HTC's patents, when HTC is the one who copies the iPhone straight up. All the Incredibles/heros/HD2's etc etc. All hardware/looks, and pretty much everything. Its so epic. Almost 2 dozens of Patent Infringements on top of HTC's head. This is just too great.

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    So agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamil18 View Post
    I'm finding it hilarious how everybody thinks that Nokia and HTC are jealous of apple.

First of all, Nokia isn't jealous of anybody. Why? Because while Apple may have a considerable size in america, Nokia basically owns all of Europe and Asia. Its suing it because it has asked Apple time and time again to pay for its patents.

While Apple is actually jealous of android. Now, I would sound like a hypocrite if I said that Nokia should be able to sue Apple, but Apple shouldn't be able to sue HTC... So here's where the important stuff comes in. Apple is suing HTC because it doesn't want ANY other company using THEIR revolutionary and magical ideas *rolls eyes*. While Nokia just wants a slice of the cake.

So yeah. Apple wants to stop innovation, and everyone wants money.

Now, no ones going to quote me or aknowledge me and continue saying how HTC and Nokia are just sooooo jealous of the iPhone, when they have better hardware phones and bigger market shares.

OK? yup.

First of all, the iPhone was FAR from being the first touch screen device.
    Second of all, HP Slate and JooJoo were anounced before iPad.
    Third, it doesn't take to much creativity to create a bigger version of a phone. America's been doing it since the first monster truck.
    Forth, apple did sue other companies for having the simple, basic, yet in your opinion, similar UI's. And one of the companies apple is suing is, *gasp* HTC!!!
    Just because they announced their release before Apple did theirs, doesn't mean Apple didn't already make their device and were in the testing process. If you didn't know, Apple is very secret about their devices and don't announce anything unless they are 100% done. Look at Slate, previously they were just going around showing off the Slate even though it wasn't coming out for almost 5+ months. Look what happened? Its horrible, and they killed the whole Slate.

Im now 100% sure, all of the people in HTC are on crack. 20 Patent infringements vs 5. Who wins? [And actually look at the almost 2 dozen patent infringements against HTC] Apple who's been original with their phones for years now, or a Rip off **** company [HTC] who has been ripping off the iPhone and selling for profit. Its hilarious how they think they can actually stop Apple's most profitable products. Its pretty epic.

If anyone on this site actually thinks HTC can win, and are a better producer or mobile phones, you are definitely on crack as well.
    Last edited by eZStaR; 05-12-2010 at 06:34 PM.

-Win7 Ultimate Retail Dualboot with Mac OSX 10.5.8 On PC, Core 2 Duo, 4GBRam, 300GB Drive, 500GB External, Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
    LOL!!!!!
    Man... you sure are zealous about Apple.
    But this automatic approach of "Apple=awesomeness, everything else=total crap" is borderline-supremacist.

Having said that, HTC's demand sounds a little far fetched.

And what the hell is going on with Lost...?
    Last edited by leonpeeon; 05-12-2010 at 07:23 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    qft

Thanks

I hope to whatever deity you believe in that 99% of the people in this thread don't go into intellectual property law. Kamil, thanks for being the only one with any sense at all in this thread.

Apple sued HTC and went to the International Trade Commission to try to block all of their imports due to "patent infringement" (and all of them were things that Apple did not invent, i.e. lowering processor voltage to save battery, using a gesture to unlock a device, multitouch, etc.). This is simply a counter suit back at Apple.

Basically, this is just a continuation of a legal pissing contest that really isn't going to do anything to either company.

Thanks

LOL!!!!! I am laughing at this news, so fu*cking hard. "Ban all idevices." How the hell did Apple infringe ANY of HTC's patents, when HTC is the one who copies the iPhone straight up. All the Incredibles/heros/HD2's etc etc. All hardware/looks, and pretty much everything. Its so epic. Almost 2 dozens of Patent Infringements on top of HTC's head. This is just too great.

So agreed.

Just because they announced their release before Apple did theirs, doesn't mean Apple didn't already make their device and were in the testing process. If you didn't know, Apple is very secret about their devices and don't announce anything unless they are 100% done. Look at Slate, previously they were just going around showing off the Slate even though it wasn't coming out for almost 5+ months. Look what happened? Its horrible, and they killed the whole Slate.

Im now 100% sure, all of the people in HTC are on crack. 20 Patent infringements vs 5. Who wins? [And actually look at the almost 2 dozen patent infringements against HTC] Apple who's been original with their phones for years now, or a Rip off **** company [HTC] who has been ripping off the iPhone and selling for profit. Its hilarious how they think they can actually stop Apple's most profitable products. Its pretty epic.

If anyone on this site actually thinks HTC can win, and are a better producer or mobile phones, you are definitely on crack as well.
    Fail. HTC has been a smartphone manufacturer since the Blue Angel in 2002. Which had a processor clocked at 400 MHZ and could run as fast as 600... Sound familiar?

I'm not saying HTC is totally innocent, neither is Apple, or Google, for that matter - but lets be honest with ourselves. Without breakthroughs like the BA, Sony Ericsson P900, iPaq 6315, Nokia Communicator series, etc., the iPhone would not be here today. Hell, Motorola SLVR's were syncing to iTunes back in '02. All current technology is based LIBERALLY on the devices of the past. HTC is not going to win this case, just like Apple is flat-out full of monkey crap for suing HTC. If it was for real, the suit would indicated more than just Google phones.

Stop being such an ignoramus and recognize the corporate posturing for what it is. The ONLY company I'm rooting for is Nokia, which has a well documented and legitimate case for suing Apple. The iPhone would only be an iPod touch without the GSM standard, which Nokia owns the patent for. Why is that so hard to understand?
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cpkirkley For This Useful Post:

creasy425 (05-13-2010), hollow0 (05-12-2010), Taniban (05-13-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

Stop suiting Apple.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

I would like to know what patents HTC is accusing Apple of. Why demand for such things when you can't even produce a reason why? What is the freaking patent that is being infringed upon??? Companies are suing each other all over the place so we just have to get used to it. The battle for the top is far to great now.

Quote Originally Posted by cpkirkley View Post
    Fail. HTC has been a smartphone manufacturer since the Blue Angel in 2002. Which had a processor clocked at 400 MHZ and could run as fast as 600... Sound familiar?

I'm not saying HTC is totally innocent, neither is Apple, or Google, for that matter - but lets be honest with ourselves. Without breakthroughs like the BA, Sony Ericsson P900, iPaq 6315, Nokia Communicator series, etc., the iPhone would not be here today. Hell, Motorola SLVR's were syncing to iTunes back in '02. All current technology is based LIBERALLY on the devices of the past. HTC is not going to win this case, just like Apple is flat-out full of monkey crap for suing HTC. If it was for real, the suit would indicated more than just Google phones.

Stop being such an ignoramus and recognize the corporate posturing for what it is. The ONLY company I'm rooting for is Nokia, which has a well documented and legitimate case for suing Apple. The iPhone would only be an iPod touch without the GSM standard, which Nokia owns the patent for. Why is that so hard to understand?
    well said.
    Last edited by hollow0; 05-12-2010 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leonpeeon View Post
    Man... you sure are zealous about Apple.
    But this automatic approach of "Apple=awesomeness, everything else=total crap" is borderline-supremacist.

Having said that, HTC's demand sounds a little far fetched.

And what the hell is going on with Lost...?
    Yes well, I look at electronics due to their superior software, hardware, and success. While HTC has been literally ripping at iPhones design, its quite clear why I would say "Apple- Awesome" since all the other phones are pieces of crap whom think adding better hardware makes their devices better.

Quote Originally Posted by Success.Is.Sweet View Post
    I hope to whatever deity you believe in that 99% of the people in this thread don't go into intellectual property law. Kamil, thanks for being the only one with any sense at all in this thread.

Apple sued HTC and went to the International Trade Commission to try to block all of their imports due to "patent infringement" (and all of them were things that Apple did not invent, i.e. lowering processor voltage to save battery, using a gesture to unlock a device, multitouch, etc.). This is simply a counter suit back at Apple.

Basically, this is just a continuation of a legal pissing contest that really isn't going to do anything to either company.
    Um, "lowering processor voltage to save battery," "gesture to unlock device." Right. Im quite sure that no other phone out their ever did that exactly like Apple did. But wait, Android did! Right after copying Apple! HTC included. Its funny how on Apple you unlock left to right, while on Android (older versions usually) have slide up, think they still do or you have option to pick between the dots/pattern thing) Which 100% came out after slide up gesture. It gets more amazing after you read almost another dozen and a half of infringements, but you would clearly say "oh Apple didn't invent or do any of those," because they {GOT} the authority to get the patents.

Quote Originally Posted by cpkirkley View Post

I never said HTC wasn't a phone company for a while. I said why didn't they make phones like they do now? How suddenly they release phones like Incredible, EVO, Hero, HD2 etc. Before their phones were totally useless and crappy. Now every phone they design and release looks like a iPhone. Nice right?

"Without breakthroughs like the BA, Sony Ericsson P900, iPaq 6315, Nokia Communicator series, etc., the iPhone would not be here today."
    Ok? Doesn't mean you pretty much ripp the other companies design completely and have such a huge design difference from your previous made electronic phones. -Aka HTC.

"just like Apple is flat-out full of monkey crap for suing HTC."
    Pretty sure the "full of monkey crap" is for just a couple of patents they have over HTC, what about the other dozen and a half, did you read those or should I post all here?

"The iPhone would only be an iPod touch without the GSM standard, which Nokia owns the patent for. Why is that so hard to understand?"
    Right, the other most popular device in their arsenal which they created them selves, from whom the Zune HD was created from. Awesome. Or are you going to say iTouch was also ripped off from Zune? Since zune was created almost 6 years after the iPod, looked exactly like one, did almost same crap, looked uglier and didn't sell. Best part is, right after iTouch was released, they announced a touch screen device of their own lol^^. When iPods get smaller there's do to. Haha.
    So the point I am getting at is most of everything today related to touch screens/media players and etc are linked if not inspired by Apple, without Apples iTouch or iPhone, there WOULD not be any Incredible/HD2/EVO/Hero etc, or any google phone, any Zunes, any most touch screens out there.
    Last edited by eZStaR; 05-12-2010 at 09:06 PM.

-Win7 Ultimate Retail Dualboot with Mac OSX 10.5.8 On PC, Core 2 Duo, 4GBRam, 300GB Drive, 500GB External, Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

Thanks

It's okay, HTC. We know that you can't create an iPhone killer.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Not sure about you guys but I've decided to attend law school and become a high-profile patent attorney in California, apparently that's where the money is. This is seriously getting out of hand. All that is happening is the wasting of company money and clogging up the court system so that no one gets anywhere.

Thanks

EZStar, you really need to look at the designs of smartphones over the last decade. They all look alike. All have a screen on the front, with some buttons smattered about.

HTC's Incredible, HD2, HD, etc, are nothing like an iPhone/iTouch. For one, the screens are edge to edge. Volume buttons on the side of a phone are not Apple exclusives (ehem, see HTC Apache, HTC Wizard, Motorola Razr, Blackberry 7100....(I'm naming older devices from other companies to establish a theme, all of those phones predate the first iPhone by 2 years.) neither are center buttons on the front, neither are touchscreen keyboards (see Windows Phone Edition 2003...) Much to the contrary, having 3/4 buttons (or Trackballs) along the bottom of the face couldnt be further than Apple's design philosophy. If anything, Blackberry could be pissed about the Trackball. The Gesture patent is hogwash - anything regarding touching the screen of a touchscreen device qualifies as a gesture. So Google unlocking is bad, but Windows Mobile has ALWAYS had a tap to lock/unlock device button. That one gets a pass?As for the design asthetics, the envelope for slimmer tech is always being pushed forward. If was physically impossible to create slimmer devices back then, the chipsets were too large and ran too hot to be that thin. No one here is doubting Apples achievement in phone design, however no one can possibly blame other companies for following suit, its the nature of the tech-ecosystem. Smaller, lighter, faster.

The first generation Zune looked NOTHING like the iPods it was competing against. It was also a rebranded Hitachi device, but if you didnt know to include that in your argument then that point is lost on you anyway. It debuted in Q3 of 2006, predating the iTouch line by at least a year. The Zune HD beats the doors off the iTouches from a performance standpoint (Tegra FTW), Zune Pass is a flipping awesome service, which is NOTHING like the iTunes experience. Then add wireless syncing, wireless gifting of songs to friends, and having software thats actually optimized for the Windows platform to the mix. The two could not be further apart.

Long story short, there is nothing new under the sun, You are carrying this torch for Apple like they alone have created the smartphone market. Apple has built a (stellar, mind you) piece of hardware in the iPhone. However, it doesnt mean they invented a damn thing. All of the features you are gaga over were implemented in some way or form a LONG time ago. Apple was the first one to do it RIGHT. That said, other companies are starting to get it right, too. Which may indeed be based on the example of Apple. But Apple doesnt have the right to sue, because where did they get the idea to do it in the first place? You guessed it, the companies that did it before them.

Ultimately you are still missing the point. If apple is so hardcore about defending its patents why arent they going against Blackberry for the storm? If HTC's recent devices are straight knockoffs, the the Storm should be next. What about Sony's P990s, or Nokia's N Series? It's because they care about the design less than you do. They are only interested in killing any momentum Google has going for it. Mark my words, Apple will sue microsoft as soon as there's ANY positive momentum on Windows Phone 7 series.
    Last edited by cpkirkley; 05-12-2010 at 11:06 PM.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeiPod View Post
    It's okay, HTC. We know that you can't create an iPhone killer.
    Android really isn't out to "kill" anything, it's simply an alternative.

Um, "lowering processor voltage to save battery," "gesture to unlock device."
    You're clearly an Apple zealot and really not worth trying to have a coherent conversation with.

Thanks

I hope HTC gets a temporary import ban against apple..

Unlocked iPhones are already hard to find, imagine the prices shooting up because of all the idiots who would think the ban is permanent.

I'd probably end up with enough to buy a 4G non-contract if that happened

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

^I agree. No point having a conversation with eZStaR. His posts are FAIL. There's so many reasons why his points are false and stupid. He clearly doesn't know a lot.

The only company that has a true lawsuit is Nokia. There phones are nothing like the iPhone. The UI, design etc are the same still like they were before the iPhone came out.