Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report: Apple's AT&T Deal is Done

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Report: Apple's AT&T Deal is Done

A new report this morning has everyone talking about a suspected break in AT&T's five year exclusivity agreement with Apple. As a result, the prominent advertising firm Landor & Associates has reportedly been hired by Verizon to launch an ad campaign for the next gen iPhone.

One of the primary reasons yours truly has opted to put forward this story is because, unlike most un-sourced rumors that seem to just appear from thin air to take root in the blogosphere, this particular story comes from our friends at CrunchGear, who have evidently gleaned their info from those within the advertising industry.

It should be noted, however, that Landor & Associates has been doing business with Verizon since Apple reportedly began its exclusive agreement with AT&T in 2007. According to the report, the ad firm is now "hard at work preparing for the iPhone HD launch."

So why the sudden (potential) shift to Verizon territory? Possibly because the iPhone is beginning to lose market share to its closest competitors and Apple sees the need to expand its coverage in order to remain the dominant force in smartphones. An NPD Group report shows that the iPhone has been bumped to third place by competing devices running Google's Android OS.

John Biggs of CrunchGear maintains that this rumor "very nearly confirms a Verizon launch of the iPhone"... possibly as eary as late summer 2010.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

DisneyRicky (05-11-2010), FactsToTheMax (05-11-2010)

Verizon possibly getting the iPhone? REPOST!!!!1!1!!!

Here we go again....

Im confused. Are they abandoning ATT altogether or are they launching the next gen iPhone on AT&T as well?

No it means that more than one carrier wil have the iphone
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

Thanks

If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

8. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

alectra82 (05-11-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone alpawa's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple should lear from what is hindering its growth, the exclusivity. It would make no sense to just switch from one operator to another. I hope that we are seeing the shift from a locked-to-a-operator device to a unlocked-and-free-to-roam iPhone. For Apple's sake I hope so, because us jailbreakers will always find a way if Apple doesn't.

i dont see it happening... and it doesnt affect me anyway

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StevenB For This Useful Post:

DisneyRicky (05-11-2010), reanimationxp (05-11-2010), wcstryfe10 (05-11-2010)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to playeron87 For This Useful Post:

wcstryfe10 (05-11-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So two days ago you run an article "did AT&T screw Verizon out of the iPhone?" that claims the deal is for 5 years from 2007. Now you're running an article that says Verizon is getting an iPhone this year. Honestly, dude make up your mind and stop confusing people. First off there's not a single fact in this article other than Verizon hiring an ad group. Second off, does this article mean your last article was garbage? You can't run an article two days later negating a previous article.

And BTW other than giant iPhone stands at AT&T stores, I've never seen an AT&T ad that promotes the iPhone. All their commercials are Apple commercials.
    Last edited by plnkeye21; 05-11-2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plnkeye21 For This Useful Post:

DisneyRicky (05-11-2010), wcstryfe10 (05-11-2010)

Wow...this isn't them negating anything.
    They publish relevant stories that appear on the net and in news, basically anything related to Apple, computers, or SmartPhones.
    This isn't them arguing with themselves, it's keeping you up to date on what's being reported, discussed and rumored in those particular spheres.

And they're now talking about the possibility of Apple breaching it's contract with ATT to keep the iPhone exclusive.
    Granted though, it's just a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by plnkeye21 View Post
    So two days ago you run an article "did AT&T screw Verizon out of the iPhone?" that claims the deal is for 5 years from 2007. Now you're running an article that says Verizon is getting an iPhone this year. Honestly, dude make up your mind and stop confusing people. First off there's not a single fact in this article other than Verizon hiring an ad group. Second off, does this article mean your last article was garbage? You can't run an article two days later negating a previous article.

And BTW other than giant iPhone stands at AT&T stores, I've never seen an AT&T ad that promotes the iPhone. All their commercials are Apple commercials.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to arem For This Useful Post:

Quildar (05-11-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I said it once and I will say it again. I welcome people to move to Verizon for the iPhone. Take the load off ATT's network for me.

Even the bear thinks this is ridiculous.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to lolcats1 For This Useful Post:

wcstryfe10 (05-11-2010)

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

I seen on the news a little while ago that Verizon may get the iPhone also... now why would they put it on the new on tv? So I just set back and keep reading and wait to see what happens next... that is the thrill of all of it... especially people's posts or pics they make me laugh!

EDIT: The bear picture cracked me right up! lmao!
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 05-11-2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: bear

"Always remember your special and unique!"

it says on multiple news sources that it is now known that it lasts to 2012, where does this come into play. other than it being just a rumor.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

I wish this mattered.

MAN THIS IS NO NEWS ANYMORE,GIVE THIS Verizon GARBAGE A BREAK.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to zozodouce For This Useful Post:

wcstryfe10 (05-11-2010)

Ok well.... I tried to post the post but for some reason it didn't go threw. But anyways. I spoke last night to one of my friends that is very high in the T-mobile ranks, he said they had a meeting in Vegas not too long ago and the president spoke to a few couple. He said that they are bidding for the iPhone against Verizon. Meaning that the iPhone WILL BE UNLOCKED!!! BUT it will only run on 3G with Verizon and AT&T.... It's going to be kind of the same as the whole iPad situation.

I sense a little hate against at&t from the editors of mmi. First of all let me tell you that the next iphone coming out will NEVER end up on verizon's currently SLOW and OUTDATED network hence the reason they are going LTE soon. Now MAYBE, Verizon will get the iphone once LTE is available in the major markets but, to my understanding, once Verizon goes LTE they will not be backwards compatible to their current network. What does this mean you ask? Well if your on a phone call and your in a LTE area and then you drive into a non LTE area and have to fall back to the 3g network guess what? DROPPED CALL. Now people in here may be suggesting at&t drops calls left and right and I am not denying that at all. However the recent survey that was taken showing that in the past 90 days at&t has the most dropped calls, well how many of those at&t customers had an iphone, b/c it has been stated before that the called fails and dropped calls were mostly from the iphones. I forgot where I read it but I will do some research but I believe it was stated that at times when certain data transmissions are being sent to the iphones it causes the dropped calls and call fails. I would LOVE to see a survey about at&t's dropped calls one devices outside the iphone. I agree with BOXXA... I really hope and wish the iphone would go to Verizon's network so you guys can see how fast you can cripple their dated network, and get the stress off of our network. I see articles all the time bashing at&t for not investing in their network blah blah, well they have been, its just that the load at&t's network has to put up with is massive, at&t is the most data intensive phone service provider in the US and they are doing better than ANY of their competitors could have. Hey verizon get back to me when you can talk and browse the web at the same time.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to yuntanman For This Useful Post:

chris102192 (05-11-2010)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast