Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Did AT&T 'Screw' Verizon Out of the iPhone for 2010?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Did AT&T 'Screw' Verizon Out of the iPhone for 2010?

For the last six months, we've been hammered with a seemingly incessant barrage of stories about the iPhone coming to the Verizon network in 2010. As of today, however, it now appears that this dream held by many will not become a reality - at least not during the envisioned 2010 time frame. But it no longer appears that the prospect of a Verizon iPhone was just talk. In fact, sources are reporting that the iPhone almost found a home on Verizon this year.

Then came the iPad.

According to Wall Street analyst Brian Marshall, AT&T likely worked out a "stellar deal" with Apple over the iPad in order to secure an extension to their iPhone exclusivity pact. And, somewhere in the shuffle, Apple's (rumored) ongoing talks with Verizon stalled. In return for a relatively inexpensive slate of iPad data plans through AT&T, Apple may - as some speculate - have agreed to a six month extension of the iPhone's exclusivity agreement.

As a result, if the iPhone is ever to call the Verizon Wireless network home, it won't - or can't - happen until well into 2011. And, apparently, it's a deal Apple was happy to make in exchange for AT&T's well received data plans: a $15/month plan for 250MB of data and an unlimited plan for $30/month. Best of all for AT&T, however, is that the carrier can keep the iPhone all to itself as the 4th generation iPhone rolls out this summer and likely becomes the hottest smartphone of 2010.

So did Verizon get "screwed" out of a deal with Apple - one that was apparently close to a done deal - by the last minute angling of AT&T over the iPad? No one knows but the powers that be for sure. But don't expect to see the iPhone on Verizon until, at earliest, the first quarter of 2011.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbillh77's Avatar
    Thanks

ha ha I am not a big fan of Verizon but a earlier post said the only one to get hurt by the verizon iPhone would be AT&T. but if it lowers prices or speeds up the AT&T network let it go. Choice is good I am wondering how Verizon will handle the load
    Last edited by bbillh77; 05-08-2010 at 08:27 PM.

It would hav been nice to see an iphone on verizon

I want it on Verizon so bad!
    My Devices:

iPod Touch 4g 4.1 - Jailbroken
    iPad 4.2.1 - Jailbroken

iPhone? More like MyPhone sandstorm77's Avatar
    Thanks

I just sold my iPhone for an iPad and switched to verizon for my cell service. Hope the iPhone happens for VZ next year.

We've heard about this since the second iPhone, this is now the fourth I would like to see it happen

Apple knows 1 carrier is stupid, ecspecially in a country were your free to pick

I'm on att and i want it to come to Verizon because Att's network is still bogged down no matter what they say. We pay $120 a month for 700 minutes and a bunch of dropped calls.

Twitter: @tshoults

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

And the cycle continues...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz.... same ol story, same ol song and dance!

I like at&t, like the iPhone, win win for me!! V can have it for all I care... only issue is then all the V people will come on here and whine about how they can't do this or that or V service sucks blah blah blah. No matter what provider they use it won't make them happy.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz.... same ol story, same ol song and dance!

I like at&t, like the iPhone, win win for me!! V can have it for all I care... only issue is then all the V people will come on here and whine about how they can't do this or that or V service sucks blah blah blah. No matter what provider they use it won't make them happy.

Verizon sucks, its just like anything you have people who love love love them, and you people that hate them, i for one would like to see a T-mobile version of the iPhone so you can use the 3G speeds. But i am ok with AT&T but i do get dropped calls here and there. But not enough to complain about it. Screw you verizon and your Data plans!

Thanks

I think AT&T wants more money from the iPhones.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Although Version is costlier, they do have the best 3G network. So yes, I guess it would be nice to have iPhone on Version.

-Win7 Ultimate Retail Dualboot with Mac OSX 10.5.8 On PC, Core 2 Duo, 4GBRam, 300GB Drive, 500GB External, Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
    Although Version is costlier, they do have the best 3G network. So yes, I guess it would be nice to have iPhone on Version.
    as well as the slowest.

Twitter: @tshoults

I'm on ATT and never have problems with dropped calls or bad service. My phone is always more reliable than my friends' phones.

I think it has to do more with the area than the provider itself.
    Thanks,
    Matt

Livin the iPhone Life deathbybunnies6's Avatar
    Thanks

haha verizon sucks
    My Themes

HTC HD2 HTC 1 HTC Sensation

old news
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

Before the ipad I was thinking that AT&T needed to do something to secure the iPhone as theirs and only theirs, I guess this worked pretty well

now, if we could just get apple and att to work under the table together on cell coverage areas...

What people don't understand is that Verizon has an inferior network to AT&T...I would love to see how it does on the Verizon network because it will in all likelihood cripple they're network, which is already feeling the brunt of the droid at way less a saturation rate....the plot thickens.

Everyone (generally, not specifically people in this thread) seems to forget that verizon had the iPhone and they turned it down.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast