+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Did AT&T 'Screw' Verizon Out of the iPhone for 2010?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I actually heard there is a good chance that verizon can't handle the iPhone traffic. I respect choice so I see why ppl are wanting verizon but minus a couple
    Thanks

I actually heard there is a good chance that verizon can't handle the iPhone traffic. I respect choice so I see why ppl are wanting verizon but minus a couple of dropped calls I think ATT isn't doing a bad job at all. Not to mention verizon is slower 3G but bigger coverage map of 3G.

Plus my plan is pretty good (family plan with my bro for $180):

1400 min
    Roll over minutes
    A fav 10 (not 5)
    unlimited nights and weekends
    Free mobile to mobile
    Ulimited text and data
    King Los aka Los Ninyo

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    I actually heard there is a good chance that verizon can't handle the iPhone traffic. I respect choice so I see why ppl are wanting verizon but minus a couple of dropped calls I think ATT isn't doing a bad job at all. Not to mention verizon is slower 3G but bigger coverage map of 3G.

Plus my plan is pretty good (family plan with my bro for $180):

1400 min
    Roll over minutes
    A fav 10 (not 5)
    unlimited nights and weekends
    Free mobile to mobile
    Ulimited text and data
    I don't think such scenarios take into account that the demand would be spread across AT&T and Verizon. V wouldn't suddenly have as much iPhone traffic as AT&T.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

can anybody say antitrust violation

Thanks

I keep saying this over and over, Verizon will not get the iPhone until they deploy LTE. LTE is an evolution of GSM technology. There is no incentive to make an iPhone on a system that's on it's way out.

Once all the cell companies are on LTE, it won't matter what provider you have, as they will all be using the same standard. That means great coverage no matter where you are at, as long as at least one provider has coverage in that area. All the companies will have roaming agreements with each other.

Until then, NO iPhone on Verizon. I repeat, NO iPhone for Verizon.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    I don't think such scenarios take into account that the demand would be spread across AT&T and Verizon. V wouldn't suddenly have as much iPhone traffic as AT&T.
    Yes and no. There are plenty of people who will jump ship with ATT and move to Verizon because of perceptions and what have you. There are also plenty of people who are loyal verizon customers and would buy and iPhone only if it comes to Verizon. There are still those who would be out of a contract and willing to try their favorite device on another network. With all of the "3G is everyone" Verizon ads, you can bet there would be an onslaught of iPhone contracts started on Verizon's service the moment they got the phone. Remember, the average consumer here in America is, quite frankly, and idiot that takes little more than what commercials tell them into consideration before purchasing a product.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default it won't happent until LTE is ready
    I said it many rimes before and I will say it again, Apple will not put the iPhone on a old network that is fading away, it is too expensive for a such a small market (considering the global GSM market). iPhone will debut on Verizon when the LTE network is up and ready for data and voice, that coincidentally is schedule to be on all US mayor market by June-july next years (just time for next year iPhone revision).

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Verizon iPhone
    Now it has been long rumored that the iPhone was coming to Verizon, but I don't find it such an impossibility. Though from my understanding you wouldn't be able to talk & surf the web at the same time, like you can on AT&T. For me that would be a major drawback, I do agree with the writer that the iPad deal may have included an extension for exclusivity. Furthermore he may have been correct in it was only a 6 month deal, I don't feel we won't see one late this year if indeed the iPhone will come to Verizon or not this year...
    but this is my hypo thesis:
    The 4th gen iPhone will have some interaction with the iPad & in which the reason 4.0 will not be released for iPad till fall (3rd Quarter) by then the 6 month extension would be over (Which would corroborate with the rumor of seeing 2 different iPhones this year). So they may be adapting an iPhone for the Verizon network, not saying it's going to happen or that I'm right...just say that's my 2 cents
    Last edited by ill_graphics; 05-09-2010 at 12:06 PM.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post
    ..... in exchange for AT&T's well received data plans......
    Well received?

Has anyone else added up your TOTAL internet costs (DSL, phone, etc, iPod) office/home?

IMHO: Internet connectivity is becoming a major-cost item.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Verizon would probably handle the iPhone better than AT&T has. Verizon's network is much larger than AT&T's.

Thanks

they probably did. but so what. i like AT&t, and have ever since i switched to them from Verizon and got the Shine. remember that phone? STELLaR!
    killall Terminal[]

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    I keep saying this over and over, Verizon will not get the iPhone until they deploy LTE. LTE is an evolution of GSM technology. There is no incentive to make an iPhone on a system that's on it's way out.

Once all the cell companies are on LTE, it won't matter what provider you have, as they will all be using the same standard. That means great coverage no matter where you are at, as long as at least one provider has coverage in that area. All the companies will have roaming agreements with each other.

Until then, NO iPhone on Verizon. I repeat, NO iPhone for Verizon.
    While I do agree, I doubt they can just make an LTE phone and release it for Verizon and GSM networks. LTE is part of the GSM 4G upgrade path. Verizon 4G phones will need extra hardware so that they can fall back on CDMA when LTE isn't available, which will be "often" in the first few years outside of major city downtown areas and interstate highways. An LTE-only iPhone would still be for "everyone else" and they would need to make a CDMA version for Verizon. Sprint is taking the CDMA 4G upgrade path which is NOT LTE. The only reason Verizon is doing it is because they are partially owned by Vodaphone (European GSM carrier). Some of their smart phones already have dual hardware including SIM cards for roaming. Implementing this in an iPhone would not be negligible (size and power concerns).

Thanks

I think for the majority of us it's actually better off this way, due to Verizons CDMA standards. If the iPhone did happen to find it's home at Verizon, we'd all be pretty much screwed out of "Unlocking" are devices. I'm happy AT&T has the iPhone. Besides, Verizon is way too expensive.

'Follow Me On Twitter @Markanthony3211' For Tech updates.
    Last edited by Markanthony3211; 05-09-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"

'Follow Me on Twitter@Markanthony3211' I always Follow Back.

Thanks
    Ok for all you Verizon hopefulls, 1, there customer service is by far the worst! 2, the are the most expensive carrier out there, yeah coverage everywhere, but not with the money. 3, my partner at work has a blackberry on 3G their 3G network, my Tmibile edge is faster....!
    And could you just imagine the restrictions Verizon would have on the iPhone, even jailbreak app would help, no tethering, no carrier push....!
    I'm a tmobile hopeful...!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Wilbourn's Avatar
    Thanks

The iPhone will be released on Verizons network (yea I know, Duh!). But when is the question (again I know, Duh!). My best guess of when the iPhone will officially be released or announced for use with Verizon would be either by the end of 2010, by the end of the Second Quarter or 2011 or when the next Generation is officially announced. The reason I'm taking this time frame is due to this little nugget of information (which I'm sure some of you guys know. Not sure if its mainstream knowledge); towards the latter part of last year, Apple were posting job openings on their website specifically for CDMA programmers. Now, ask yourself 'Why would apple be seeking CDMA programmers when CDMA is the band that Verizon uses and what would they have a need for these programmers for?' Well duh, for the iphone to be released to the mass populace through verizon. I would think (im no programmer by any means)that it would take some time to develop the iPhone for CDMA and test the iPhone until perfection.

Plus, with apple being a profit maximizing corporation, it is absolutely asinine to continue to exclusively offer apples biggest cash cow through a carrier that is obviously incapable of handling the data demands of the phones users needs. The biggest blunder in the iphones exclusivity to Att is the duration of the exclusivity contract. What CEO in their right mind would allow something so popular and wanted to be only on a network that not only is incapable of handling the data demands, which blackballs built in capabilities (i.e. tethering) of the phone, but limits the pool of possible end users and therefor limiting their bottom line. Investors don't like it when you limit access to revenues (yes I know their main business model is to recoup those losses in potential revenues by continually releasing "new iphones")which effects stock price, Return on Equity/Assets/Investment, Profit Margin and the many many many other performance/profitability financial measures.

Just my two cents.
    You see that "Thanks!" button? It likes it when you click it!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilbourn For This Useful Post:

Markanthony3211 (05-09-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    Doesn't Verizon boast about having 80 million customers? Now, imagine the percentage that will get the iPhone...Their internet is slow as it is without getting the hammer that the iPhone will bare.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Wilbourn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Doesn't Verizon boast about having 80 million customers? Now, imagine the percentage that will get the iPhone...Their internet is slow as it is without getting the hammer that the iPhone will bare.
    I agree. WHEN the iphone releases on verizons network their will not be a major hitch in their data quality. Yes, current Verizon subscribers who are up for their upgrades will switch to the iphone and those who aren't that want the iphone regardless of upgrade timing will get it. Just because a previeved vast majority of verizon users swapping their smart phones (which most already have to have full data plans to even be remotely worth having) will switch to the iphone and there fore not effecting the data being provided by verizon. Plus, just because the iphone eventually will be provided through verizon does not equate to the notion that all ATT users will jump ship and go to verizon just because verizon has the iphone. Yes, ATT restricts and keeps pushing back tethering due to the mass demand for data on their networks due to the iPhone and its a pain in the neck because of it, but when Verizon takes on the iphone, it will spread the data demand across both networks and there fore shoring up data for ATT to finally allow tethering.

I will stay with ATT after the Verizon iphone because not everone will jump ship and for those who do, it will only free up ATT data network, which are overloaded due to the iphone, and allow them to offer the iPhone in its full glory.

Basically, Verizon getting the iphone would split the work load demand for ATT's data network. Will it eat into ATT and Verizons profits? ATT yes, Verizon not until the excitement dies down. The only one that has everything to gain and nothing to lose from this is Apple, who will finally have access to a much much larger pool of users which equate to ungodly profits and soaring stock price (you heard it here, buy apple stock if you can now before it goes up once the verizon announcement is made...not an endorsement for apple stock just a heads up of how things work).

P.S.- CaptainChaos, I love your Einstein icon. I'm a huge fan of Einstein and have read a majority of his works ( my favorite is the "Ideas and Opinions" which is a collective of his writings which delved into his thoughts outside of topics outside academia).
    Last edited by Wilbourn; 05-09-2010 at 09:36 PM.
    You see that "Thanks!" button? It likes it when you click it!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Just like many people with half a spec of sense or technological knowledge on the matter have said, the iPhone would more likely find a home with T-Mobile rather than Verizon due to the GSM vs CDMA network. This whole Verizon rumor starts up every damn year because whiny Verizon customers become acutely jealous of ATT homing the iPhone. The fact of the matter is, many Verizon customers enjoy the cheaper premium plans Verizon has to offer and would hate to be removed from that. Working at a subsidiary of ATT, I can honestly say I've felt like smacking people upside the head whenever they mention how "Verizon will be getting the iPhone soon (or "later this year")" as if it's fact and as if they have a single clue as to what they're talking about. Point is, people need to accept that Verizon sucks compared to what ATT can offer, and don't get me wrong, my father was fired from ATT and out of a job after being with the company for 10+ yrs, so I'm no avid fan. It's just the gospel truth. Verizon simply couldn't handle it, at least not at this time. And until they fully rollout 4g, the CDMA operating network would cause various limitations as to the current basic functions of the phone, such as app launching while in the middle of a phone call. It simply wouldn't work and that's why Apple hasn't bothered with a Verizon iPhone, because it's one step back. Apple is all about moving forward. CDMA is dwindling away just like it should. This story has become a persistent bastard of a zombie, just won't die unless you decapitate it.
    Last edited by nightsoarer; 05-10-2010 at 02:49 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i love my iPhone and im on at&t and love it, yes verizon has more 3G coverage but at&t's 3g is almost twice as fast as verizons, so i dont care if verizon gets the iphone or not, verizon customers will find out how slow their 3G speed is when they get it

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123