Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Did AT&T 'Screw' Verizon Out of the iPhone for 2010?

iPhone? More like MyPhone salayyad's Avatar
    Thanks

i dont get why apple would say no to 80 some million customers in exchange for att 3g on the iPad. i know its only for 6 months if this is true. Maybe its just because im with verizon and i want the iphone back.

now, if we could just get apple and att to work under the table together on cell coverage issues...

Why does this imply that they were courting Verizon? Wouldn't an expiration of exclusivity point to T-Mobile first? After all, a CDMA phone didn't magically appear as soon as providers lost exclusivity in other markets (not that they had CDMA competitors). It would be far easier to tweak it for T-Mobile and then get to work on CDMA.

Verizon????...ha..ha...ha...ha...ha...

Marshall later admitted he was talking out of his hat... There is absolutely no evidence behind his claim, nor even any real analyzation.

verizon sucks anyways...

Glad this story will be dead the rest of the year! I have no issues with my iPhone or AT&T. My area was upgraded to 3G a few month back, and I couldnt be happier! I hope AT&T lock up the iPhone forever!!!

iPhone on Verizon or Sprint would spell disaster for Android. Who would buy an Android phone when they can get an iPhone?
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

Apple only hurt themselves. I switched to Verizon and actually like Android. Not as good in all areas as the iPhone but better in some. I won't go back to the iPhone until it is on ANY other network other than AT&T, and now that I actually like Android I have a choice. If AT&T's exclusive deal hadn't been so long to begin with I would have never tried Android.

Way to go driving customers away Apple!!

Verizon is a joke and they claim to have the best 3G network, however is super slow and crappy.

I live in S.Florida and I never have dropped calls and the internet is super fast. Verizon's network is bugged down with the Droid, so if they get the iPhone their whole network is gonna come crashing down on them.

Also keep in mind that CDMA technology is limited to the U.S mostly and the rest of the world market uses GSM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone CMOSlabs's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmmm, been with AT&T for 4 years, no problems. There are bad spots just like other services, but most of the time it works great. To the other coments about Tmobile, unlock iPhone, and use it. It's Edge data, but it works. There is always the ant boost case's to put you iPhone in to help people in bad spots

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Verizon screwed Verizon out of the iPhone (it had nothing to do with AT&T) in 2007, in 2008, in 2009, and in 2010. They should have canned their CEO the moment in July of 2007 when it became apparent just what they'd passed up.

Nobody seems to realize that if the original iPhone was brought out on Verizon, Apple would have had to make a HSPA capable model for the European market as well, and then we'd have both CDMA and GSM iPhones today. Apple is punishing Verizon because they can. You don't **** with Steve and get a pass. That's just not how Jobs plays ball.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlexFG View Post
    Verizon is a joke and they claim to have the best 3G network, however is super slow and crappy.

I live in S.Florida and I never have dropped calls and the internet is super fast. Verizon's network is bugged down with the Droid, so if they get the iPhone their whole network is gonna come crashing down on them.

Also keep in mind that CDMA technology is limited to the U.S mostly and the rest of the world market uses GSM.
    I agree with everything you said. The only problem about pointing out that Verizon is CDMA only (and that CDMA is virtually limited to the USA) is the simple fact that most Americans wouldn't care. We can't easily travel outside of USA with a CDMA only phone. To MOST people, that is not a big deal. I would be willing to bet that far less than 10% of ATT's iphone users have had the opportunity to use the phone outside of the states. Frankly, even with the iphone, if I traveled I would either unlock the phone (which we technically shouldn't discuss because that too is outside of what ATT wants) or I would just get a pay as you go phone for the time I am spending in said country (which again excludes the company and phone that I purchased and signed a contract for within the US. Don't get me wrong, I see where else you may be going with this... developing a phone for a SINGLE network may not be the best idea, right? Plenty of other companies do this still (else Verizon would frankly be out of business), and Apple has a TON of iPhone sales to gain if they chose to open the iPhone up to Verizon. That said, I really don't know what the details of the contract between ATT and Apple currently is, specifically anyway. Rumor is Apple is being treated very well by ATT.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 05-09-2010 at 01:30 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I would take an EVO over an iphone any day of the week.

Not only is the hardware lightyears beyond even the 3gs (and in par assuming a 1ghz proc in the next phone) but you can tether in 4g to up to 8 devices.

Too bad there's no app to make 4g speeds a reality on the iphone.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Sources say...lol. This person thinks...cmon! Apple chose the best partner and they know it. Verizon is lacking and the iPhone would cripple their network overnight.

As long as Apple keeps a GSM iPhone, I could care less if they bring it to Verizon.

I have mine unlocked with T-Mobile, but I highly doubt that Apple would ever bring it to T-Mobile. T-Mobile's 3G network blows, and they're bleeding customers.

With the next iPhone launch, I will be signing up with AT&T, regardless of if they have it on Verizon. I'm content with T-Mobile ($50/month for unlimited everything), but their service is really pissing me off. My friend with the EXACT same iPhone but on AT&T has never dropped a call and always has service. Its mainly an area thing.

Maybe I'm crazy, but even if I have to mod my phone to unlock it, it beats the hell out of a phone I can't unlock. When I go to Canada, I can buy a Roger's SIM and call it a day. If I have a Verizon Phone, I'd have to get another phone to use while traveling. Some of you may say "Oh, but the BB Storm has a travel SIM too!", The iPhone's packed as it is, it has no extra room for all the extra BS.

Verizon screwed themselves, and AT&T is trying to protect their cash cow.. Its how business works.

Quote Originally Posted by TooSlo View Post
    I would take an EVO over an iphone any day of the week.

Not only is the hardware lightyears beyond even the 3gs (and in par assuming a 1ghz proc in the next phone) but you can tether in 4g to up to 8 devices.

Too bad there's no app to make 4g speeds a reality on the iphone.
    That's if you live in the 5 towns or so that have 4g, and of course if you are within range of a 4g tower. So take your Evo and we'll keep our i's and we'll all be happy.

LoL what a joke... was looking at the 4g map on sprints web site and let's see.... if you live in Rockford Mo. You're covered. I also see Philly, very spotty around Baltimore, Atlanta, NC, spotty coverage in Tx. Out west forget about it. Some spotty coverage in Ca. and other states but not much. So basically if you live right on top of a 4g spot you're good, other wise your stuck with a crap company, with over all crap service (had Nextel then sprint, pathetic service here in Co.) totally crap customer service (but most cell companies don't offer quality c/s) and if they keep losing customers, sprint might just go bye bye.
    Last edited by rkswat; 05-09-2010 at 06:28 AM.

I got tired of waiting and got a $50 Palm Pre from Verizon. Best $50 I ever spent! Pre + iPod Touch is a great combination. I get the Appstore apps plus Pre's style, keyboard, and awesome Linux-based OS.

Next I'll get Android. If operating systems were akin to religion, I'd be polytheistic.

Actually, scratch what I said before. It DOES matter on the location than the provider. Version works best for my area, best internet, best everything. So some may say AT&T is better or some will say Verizon. Can't judge until you are in their location.

-Win7 Ultimate Retail Dualboot with Mac OSX 10.5.8 On PC, Core 2 Duo, 4GBRam, 300GB Drive, 500GB External, Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

i like the way that the imaginary story of it coming to verizon , is now squashed to being where we were originally. the whole subject is no more than wishingware..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast