Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Planetbeing: Android OS Now Running on the iPhone 3G

Lol I love android and your wire is about to rip in half.

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

For those of you who may not know "why people are so excited" for this release...... Let me just say two words to wrap things up...... Flash Player. Nuff said!!! Don't get me wrong, Planetbeing said at the end of one of his blogs that we "might" be able to use flash. And that alone is a good enough reason for me!

Great work David!!!!

too bad this is cupcake and not doughnut or eclair. 2.+ is where its at

still awesome to see the iphone getting an android

iPhone? More like MyPhone Sakyr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lv_vl View Post
    Looks like "Mac on PC" hack has evolved a lot since I've played with CherryOS emulator :-) Yes, I'm aware Mac can run on PC without emulation now, but still you may run into driver incompatibility, etc. But in your case, it may not be the issue.

I don't doubt Android will become functional at some point. I am interested in this project and may actually install it just for the fun of it. My question is: how many people will actually use it on a daily basis? If you like Android so much more, why not just buy Android phone? The price difference is not that big (if any when you get it with a US phone plan); certainly beats the price difference when running Mac OS on mac hardware vs. pc hardware.
    Its not about wanting Android more than the iPhone its all about dual booting and fonctionality. Same reason I dual boot Mac OS X and Windows on my PC, they both have app or fonctionality i need.

So same thing goes for Android on iPhone why buy a second device when I can run both on the same and enjoy apps and software from both without having 2 devices.

About your Android never running perfectly. i remember hearing the same for Mac on pc a few years back and now its running perfect a most systems.

Im not saying Android on iPhone is gonna be perfect in a few days, but in a few months to a year probably yes. Gotta have faith im the devs working hard on these kind of project.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mitchell209's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lv_vl View Post
    Cool off, man. I admire the guy who did it. And if you read my post #26 again, you'll see why I care.

My question was aimed at many users here who are very excited about running Android on their iPhones. I am interested to see if people really want to have Android to "show off" and say "yes, I did it" (which is nice) or to run Android just because they like it more than iPhone OS? Are they interested in actually using it as their main/regular phone (in which case getting android phone will make sense) or just run it for fun on their "test" phone?
    I would enjoy running Android on my iPhone. I love Android OS but that doesn't mean I don't also enjoy using the iPhone OS. With just an Android phone, i won't be able to run the iPhone OS. People are excited because they'll be able to use both android and iPhone os. Sure, some may just want to play around with it or show it off to others, but a lot of people are just like me.

I love my windows 7 on my mac. What are you talking about is this worth it LOL there are inherent features that this OS will have that our iphones do not. one that i find works well on the android is speech to text for MMS's

Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
    What is remotely the point of this? Everyone is getting so excited, and don't realize that Android is a piece of crap OS, compared to iPhone OS. Android looks like any other normal phone OS, with same default crappy icons/features/options. Not to mention HTC/Google copied the iPhone design and slapped a crappy OS on it. [Hence being sued by Apple] Even normal people knew that HTC nexus/incredible/etc are ripped off.

There is really no reason to get happy about this since all the extra stuff this OS has a ****** rip off of the iTunes App store and ugly OS. :/

^- Before some people who consider them selves as witty, and say "Oh calm down Apple fanboy." -> Not a fanboy, I just consider what is better and compare electronics. HTC + Google -> noob rippers.-^
    Wow so i guess every phone that has a keypad and a screen copied the first mobile phone too. Or how about apple copied palm because palm has had touch screens for a long time. Or how about monopolies are illegal and apple is an ignorant company that likes to half *** upgrade something every year so that everyone goes and buy its and then still pay out the *** for it and choose the shittiest wireless carrier in the US. AT&T Drops 3x More Calls Than Verizon, May Keep Exclusive

I dont even see where you get the point of saying Android OS is apiece of **** because I have had all 3 iphones and got rid of them because I think the Iphone OS is way to restrictive and under weighted. I dont believe you have ever even tried using an Android phone. I'm not saying that ones better than the other but the Android OS is definitely just as good as the Iphone OS. I sold my iphone 3gs and bought a mytouch 3g that day and havent looked back at the Iphone OS and havent missed it once. The stuff that comes with their phones is definitely way cooler than anything the iphone comes with and when they get upgrades its alot of **** and the phone is basically redesigned for future technology not half assed and then oh next year we will put that in there. Just thought I would share my thoughts on your ignorant rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakyr View Post

About your Android never running perfectly. i remember hearing the same for Mac on pc a few years back and now its running perfect a most systems.

There are still many issues depending on what parts you have in your machine if it is a PC. Plus not to long ago OSX was PPC and when they switched to Intel it made it a lot easier to get running on PCs.

@EZStar - there is absolutely NOTHING in common between the SenseUI and Apple OS. The idea for gridded program icons is as old as computing itself.

Secondly, re-evaluate your qualifications for a crappy OS. It took Apple 2 years to implement A2DP, 3 years to implement Copy and Paste, and Year 4 introduces multitasking. All of which was available of Symbian, Palm, UIQ, WinCE.... Do I need to repeat that? As a whole, iPhone OS is not a bad system at all, but to put it on a pedestal like its light years ahead of the competition is naive. Without a major refresh, The iPhones OS is now dated, stale, and boring. Oh wait, not anymore, I forgot you can set your own background without Jailbreaking. Welcome to 2003, Cupertino.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cpkirkley For This Useful Post:

Otherkid (05-06-2010), Tedomcmillan (05-10-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by cpkirkley View Post
    @EZStar - there is absolutely NOTHING in common between the SenseUI and Apple OS. The idea for gridded program icons is as old as computing itself.

Secondly, re-evaluate your qualifications for a crappy OS. It took Apple 2 years to implement A2DP, 3 years to implement Copy and Paste, and Year 4 introduces multitasking. All of which was available of Symbian, Palm, UIQ, WinCE.... Do I need to repeat that? As a whole, iPhone OS is not a bad system at all, but to put it on a pedestal like its light years ahead of the competition is naive. Without a major refresh, The iPhones OS is now dated, stale, and boring. Oh wait, not anymore, I forgot you can set your own background without Jailbreaking. Welcome to 2003, Cupertino.
    LOLz thats what I'm saying.

so does it run flash apps?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Sakyr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    There are still many issues depending on what parts you have in your machine if it is a PC. Plus not to long ago OSX was PPC and when they switched to Intel it made it a lot easier to get running on PCs.
    Some systems do have issues (none on all 5 of my systems) but I was only pointing out that it is possible when years ago intel PCs couldn't run OS X at all.

So all is possible with time. So Android running perfectly on iPhone isn't impossible, actually I'd say its easily achieved just need work and patience on the devs part and we'll have it running in a few months, maybe even week.

Thanks

My hackintosh runs OS X as well as any Mac. Just throwing that out there and yes I've used OS X on an actual Mac. We have a Macbook here too.

The thing I find ironic about people asking what the point is for running Android is that the same people are probably just as likely to rant about having such a closed OS in the iPhone. It's like they want choices yet when they get choices they wonder why....

15. The Following User Says Thank You to soulthoughts For This Useful Post:

Rican Bx Bomba (05-07-2010)

Yay 1st post!
    I'm with the other nerds .... I think it's cool.
    Except I'm 3gs and back on the thread with the 2g, he said 3gs had certain hardware security features that could hamper porting the OS over ???
    This is the way it should be. We buy the devices, we should be able to do whatever the heck we want with em. Unrestricted.
    Yeah, take that Steve!

....If i use the Android OS hack...Will that make my LOCKED iphons be able to make and receive calls and texts?

Yes,yes,yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

It's both awesome and totally useless. Awesome that this guy ported Android pretty much by himself. Totally useless in that Android is constantly updated who knows what version this is and when if ever it could be updated. If Android phones don't have the latest software (most don't), then this certainly won't. One thing I appreciate about both the iPhoneOS and Windows: you know it'll work with what you've got and you can always install the latest version. Unless you have a 2G. Or unless you have a 3G (cause some features are cut). And you better hope you have a computer that can handle the latest Windows. Oh yeah, and don't forget updates are only free on iPhone for 2 years. But other than that it's the shizzle!

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by superthrust View Post
    ....If i use the Android OS hack...Will that make my LOCKED iphons be able to make and receive calls and texts?
    Slow down there buddy. There is plenty of work to be done before you even need to bother with questions like this. Also, read the article and you will be able to answer some of your own question.

Reading comprehension seems to have taken a nosedive in this country since I was in school. Sigh.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

" Originally Posted by cpkirkley

Secondly, re-evaluate your qualifications for a crappy OS. It took Apple 2 years to implement A2DP, 3 years to implement Copy and Paste, and Year 4 introduces multitasking. All of which was available of Symbian, Palm, UIQ, WinCE.... Do I need to repeat that? As a whole, iPhone OS is not a bad system at all, but to put it on a pedestal like its light years ahead of the competition is naive. Without a major refresh, The iPhones OS is now dated, stale, and boring. Oh wait, not anymore, I forgot you can set your own background without Jailbreaking. Welcome to 2003, Cupertino."

Total nonsense. And you write horribly. You're counting features and not usability. And you can't even count very well. Day 1 introduced iPhoneOS (2007). A year later A2DP (2008). Two years later copy and paste (2009). And now three years later multitasking (2010). Call me crazy but that's three years, not four. And the worst part is people like you don't have a clue why my APPL stock has shot up over something like 40% this year alone. They really do make the best product out there. It's totally limited in ways that only a geek (and we're all geeks if we're on this forum) could appreciate. We all Jailbreak so none of this affects us. My mom can use an iPhone but still can't turn on the DVD player. Tell me that's not progress? When you can make something as complicated and capable as a smartphone so easy to use ANYONE can pick it up and dive in, you've created something amazing. The market speaks for itself. Not once did any of the companies you've listed give real consideration to the interface. They kept on adding on junk. FM radio here, extra ram there, more speed on top of it all. If the masses can't figure the damn thing out it's worthless. It's just that simple. If you want constant feature updates buy an Android phone. And good luck keeping the software up-to-date if you buy one with a custom user interface (ie Sense, Blur, etc.)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to politicalslug For This Useful Post:

eZStaR (05-07-2010)

I want to run Android & Flash.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast