+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cash, Check, or iPhone? Apple's NFC Plans Take Shape

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
US users will soon be able to use their iPhones to pay for things in real-world stores with the help of a new program from credit card giant Visa .
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Cash, Check, or iPhone? Apple's NFC Plans Take Shape

US users will soon be able to use their iPhones to pay for things in real-world stores with the help of a new program from credit card giant Visa. The payWave system is already in use with contactless "chip" cards at thousands of locations in North America, which use Near Field Communications (NFC) technology to exchange payment information securely. Visa's program will require the use of a special hardware dongle, but clues have been emerging steadily for some time that Apple is keenly interested in using NFC to allow iPhones and iPads to replace a couple of cards in your wallet: your credit card and your ID.

NFC is a way for devices like smartphones, to collect data from another NFC device or an RFID tag when they're in very close contact. It's a lot like the RFID card-key readers and chip cards that are becoming increasingly common, but with the addition of a genuine two-way communication channel much like Bluetooth, except that in the case of NFC devices automagically make a connection rather than having to be explicitly "paired."

Apple has been looking into the possibilities of enabling NFC support on its mobile devices for some time, as evidenced by patents for RFID readers built into the hardware that would identify objects in the phone's immediate surroundings, or allow you to log in to a wireless hotspot. More recently, a patent for an iTunes-based concert ticketing system explicitly referenced an NFC interface, as did the patent for the so-called "iTravel" service, which would allow people to use their iPhones for hotel and airline reservations, check-in and baggage identification, car rentals, and also as an electronic ID.

Current phones lack the NFC interface (as, apparently, did the "lost and found" fourth-generation iPhone prototype). The Visa system will use a special iPhone case with a built-in microSD reader; the payWave NFC chip would be on a microSD card. A video of the device in use was briefly available yesterday on the PR Newswire site before it was taken down.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

jcbhome (05-06-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ForumSnoBorderRK's Avatar
    Thanks

this would be pretty cool...
    but then apple will literally control so many things.
    -[r]
    if you can, please [thank] me if i helped you or you liked what i said! :]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    if i have to put a special case on my phone.. hell no.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

The "special" case is probably going to be over $100.

Thanks

just another reason why your screwed if u lose your iphone
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

so many people would be on the fence with this. but the technology is awesome.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

I just love technology!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

you lost your phone in the year:

2010: you lose a fun toy

2011: you lose all your money, you kids' college funds, and your house. (and a fun toy)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lolcats1 For This Useful Post:

dsg (05-06-2010)

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

^Lol. Put a pass code on then and the bank will probably return your money anyway, right?

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

you really think a 4 char. passwork will stop someone who's serious? just SSH into that baby, barely anyone changes their SSH pass.

Thanks

Im sure you'll need to enter a password to use it. And like many credit and debit cards, the lenders will refund your money if it's stolen.

Thanks

i think they have this in a few asian countries already for some time now,
    just wave you phone to purchase.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    just another reason why your screwed if u lose your iphone
    I expected someone to say this... as if it's any better to lose your wallet. To be quite frank I bet most people would become aware sooner if they lost their phone than if they lost their wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    you really think a 4 char. passwork will stop someone who's serious? just SSH into that baby, barely anyone changes their SSH pass.
    Fine, except that your PIN is not stored on your card, and I highly doubt it would be stored on said chip either. Again, same difference as losing your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    The "special" case is probably going to be over $100.
    I doubt it, if the credit card companies want to be making money...
    Last edited by sziklassy; 05-06-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone CMOSlabs's Avatar
    Thanks

Default More RF Devices !!
    I like it. Sure wouldn't be to hard to build it into a phone.
    Next, they will be putting one in your brain at birth
    Technology just keeps getting better.

Identification & Edge Technology
    RFID Ant.

or

But then there is always a group of people that are against it.

Last edited by CMOSlabs; 05-06-2010 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Tweeking the code

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I expected someone to say this... as if it's any better to lose your wallet. To be quite frank I bet most people would become aware sooner if they lost their phone than if they lost their wallet.

Fine, except that your PIN is not stored on your card, and I highly doubt it would be stored on said chip either. Again, same difference as losing your wallet.

I doubt it, if the credit card companies want to be making money...
    ABSOLUTLEY sziklassy

I can't believe how many people are shooting this down. Having this would be way more secure.

I lose my wallet, i have 2 debit cards and a total of 3 credit cards, and probably a fair amount of cash not to mention all my other identification (and not that i do, but you'd be suprised how many people carry their social security card on them especially younger phone users who lose iphones left and right). basically i am ******.

NOW, say i lose my iPhone. I can pull up the location of it from any computer connected to the internet, i can add a lock to it, or remote wipe and that im sure would stop access to your credit card.

AND, even if they do use the phone for purchases id rather fight that with the credit card company than having to call numerous banks and risk identity theft by losing my wallet

Thanks

Technology rules! This will be helpful.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 4 char password
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    I have the 4.0 beta OS on my iPhone 3GS and it offers a complicated password (more than 4 character password).. So apple might be preparing for something of this sort since they are getting better security

And also.. If people jailbreak there phones or iPods and don't change their Root password.. Thats their own fault if they get hacked

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrotolo View Post
    i think they have this in a few asian countries already for some time now,
    just wave you phone to purchase.
    I know that Japan has been doing something like this for a while. Back in 2006 I saw Japanese guests at the hotel I stayed at using their phone for what looked like a points/rewards system. I know they had scanning for mobile barcodes in 2004.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 766 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CMOSlabs View Post
    I like it. Sure wouldn't be to hard to build it into a phone.
    Next, they will be putting one in your brain at birth
    Technology just keeps getting better.

But then there is always a group of people that are against it.
    hmmm wonder why

bye bye human rights, we will have chips in our brain so we don't have to think for ourselves or have a difference of opinion with others or leaders of our countries, so we can all conform and all be like each other....

because thats what would happen, somebody (Government/ A big Corporation) would want control over the tech which means control over us, because essentially we have become the tech.

look at how Appl£ already dictate what you can and can't do with a device you paid a **** load of money for.

imho, credit/debit cards should stay separate from your phone, because sometimes you get your phone bill and you find you have to kick yourself for spending too much, so make your phone a credit card as well so we can get into more debt.
    Last edited by dsg; 05-07-2010 at 10:55 AM.

Thanks

we already have so called 'wallet phones' in japan. we've had them the past couple of years...