+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Drops 3x More Calls Than Verizon, May Keep Exclusive

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
According to a new survey of US smartphone users, three times more AT&T customers than Verizon customers said they had experienced calls being dropped. The results suggest that despite massive
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default AT&T Drops 3x More Calls Than Verizon, May Keep Exclusive

According to a new survey of US smartphone users, three times more AT&T customers than Verizon customers said they had experienced calls being dropped. The results suggest that despite massive investment in its infrastructure, AT&T still has significant problems to overcome. However, one financial analyst believes that AT&T will retain its exclusive iPhone deal in the US at least through this year. The reason? A "quid pro quo" sweetheart deal for iPad 3G data plans.

ChangeWave Research, the company that does the polling for the InvestorPlace.com site, released the results of a survey of 4,040 smartphone users in the US done during March of this year. They were looking into "trends in customer satisfaction and loyalty, future market share demand, and the issue of dropped calls," and discovered that AT&T's results were in a death-spiral on all those measurements. As far as dropped calls go, while Verizon customers reported that 1.5% of their calls were dropped - the best result of the 4 US major carriers - AT&T customers said that 4.5% of their calls were dropped. Sprint and T-Mobile customers were essentially in a tie for second, with 2.4% and 2.5% of calls dropped respectively. And unsurprisingly, only 23% of AT&T customers said they were "very satisfied" with their service, as opposed to 49% of Verizon customers.

And while a full 53% of these happy Verizon customers said they'd buy an iPhone if they could, it doesn't look like Apple is going to give them the option in 2010. According to Brian Marshall, a Wall Street analyst at BroadPoint AmTech, "AT&T had to do something dramatic to get the iPad." So what they did was to give Apple the rock-bottom pricing it wanted for 3G data. No other US 3G carrier can touch the $29.99 all-you-can-eat plan, and so, Marshall told Computerworld's Gregg Keizer, "AT&T was able to negotiate a six-month extension on the iPhone exclusive." Most observers believe that the existing AT&T iPhone deal was set to expire this summer.

It's hard to imagine Apple turning away customers, but the company's executives must have thought it could sell enough expensive 3G iPads with this deal to make up for the iPhone buyers it'd be turning away. After all, the only difference between the $499 16GB WiFi iPad and the $629 16GB WiFi + 3G iPad is a single $7 chip. It's pretty much a money factory for Apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Thanks

I know long time , at&t sucks...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Screw AT&T.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i have Verizon =D
    It's the Network!

Thanks

I have honestly never had a dropped call. Well my city has full 3G bars. The only problem I have with AT&T is the slow *** speeds. Seriously, It takes WAY to long to use there network for some basic things like web browsing.
    iPhone 3G 4.2.1 - iPod touch 3G 5.0 Beta 1
    Windows 7 - OS X 10.5.6

Thanks

oh come on, who makes phone calls anyways?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lolcats1 For This Useful Post:

DisneyRicky (05-05-2010), sucram6791 (05-05-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Maybe it has to do with the iPhone itself. If it's exclysive to AT&T, then I'd imagine that there'd be more users experiencing dropped calls compared to Verizon customers. I'm basing this on the fact that my friends and I have never had a cell phone that experienced as many dropped or failed calls as the iPhone.

Thanks

Guess I'm in the 23% who's completely satisfied with AT&T. They've always had strong 3G where I live (only have 100K people in my city so its now a metropolis) and have actually gotten 3G in two smaller areas about an hour away just in the last 6 months. I can definitely see them expanding their 3G, just in my area of Eastern NC.

And its not like the exclusivity deal was based on just the iPad data pricing. Apple can't just magically make its GSM phone work with crappy CDMA technology. 90% of the world is on GSM, why would they want to have to re-make a phone for 10% of the world on a technology that is going nowhere?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jdm.accord For This Useful Post:

doitchinkstyle (05-06-2010)

Thanks

thats why i stick to trusty old rogers, never had a dropped call in my life
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

Verizon is only slightly better in my area, not by much.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

AT&T has poor service? Tell us something we don't already know.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

At&T is suck.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Are the people bashing on At&t, not in service with at&t? I barely get any dropped calls, but when I do...oh noesss, I just call them back..lol such a painnnn (sarcasm).

Thanks

Ive never had a dropped call with AT&T before... But I've had a lot on verizon

Anyway what pol don't understand is that just by having iPhones AT&T puts up with a lot more stress on there network than verizon....

The average iPhone user uses more data than any other phone.... And then multiply that by the 100000 pol that have an iPhone... It's adds up to be way more than anything verizon has handled..... Sure when the iPhone goes to verizon (which prob won't) u all can switch networks.... But it'll have the same affect on verizon once you all leave to verizon us AT&T users will prob have way less dropped calls.... And verizons network will be worse than what you guys say AT&Ts network is right now... Verizon dosent put up with half the stress AT&T has on it's network... You guys switch and then try to talk to customer service about ut issues on there network... Oh wait they barely have customer service

17. The Following User Says Thank You to iphone?3gs For This Useful Post:

chris102192 (05-05-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

No problem with AT&T, no problem with speed. Never dropped a call with my iPhone. Never found a place without 3G except for a place surrounded by hills ( a half mile stretch of road ) My only problem is with the iPhone processing speed itself.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Honestly I don't think it's AT&T. I just recently traded my iPhone for a AT&T NEXUS ONE. Since I've had the NEXUS I haven't had one dropped call. With any of my iPhones 2G, 3G, or 3GS I had dropped calls constantly. My wife has here 3GS and we can be right beside each other and I have service and she doesn't. Personally I don't think that AT&T can handle the iPhones demand.

Thanks

Just wait til the new one comes out and more people sign up for AT&T this thread will be up again lol.
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

Thanks

" AT&T Drops 3x More Calls Than Verizon, May Keep Exclusive "

lmao

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
    Ive never had a dropped call with AT&T before... But I've had a lot on verizon

Anyway what pol don't understand is that just by having iPhones AT&T puts up with a lot more stress on there network than verizon....

The average iPhone user uses more data than any other phone.... And then multiply that by the 100000 pol that have an iPhone... It's adds up to be way more than anything verizon has handled..... Sure when the iPhone goes to verizon (which prob won't) u all can switch networks.... But it'll have the same affect on verizon once you all leave to verizon us AT&T users will prob have way less dropped calls.... And verizons network will be worse than what you guys say AT&Ts network is right now... Verizon dosent put up with half the stress AT&T has on it's network... You guys switch and then try to talk to customer service about ut issues on there network... Oh wait they barely have customer service

This guy is right!
    well said man! welllll said!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

I too am beyond happy with ATT's service. And I get great reception in all the states I travel to. I have had Sprint, T-mobile, and verizon and always had issues with phone reception.

So I too join the low percentage of people that are happy with ATT.